Microchip And Car

Skruffy n Flea

all 3 of my pets are chipped but and this stemming from goldengirl85's tess going missing in brisbane, why when i plug in their chip numbers the result is that there is no entry?

without success i used petaddress to check, and then i clicked each of those links provided on the results page without any luck either!

what's happened and what do i gotta do to get them registered?

god forbid should either of my dearly loved pets go missing ... !!!

i know it's hellish late and i shouldn't even be online at this hour, but this has me perplexed and very much concerned!

ta much for your advice :)

If you are in NSW your pets should be lifetime registered, you should have gone to your council at some stage and paid to do so.

You should have a couple of white pieces of paper that say " NSW Companion Animals Register Certificate of Identification "

If not, you should still have a copy of the transfer of ownership, from when you purchased them.

or if you had them chipped yourself , a copy from when they were chipped.

Get you local council to check the chip numbers and make sure they are recorded and lifetime registered. If not, you can provide the copies from above, failing that, you may need to provide additional info such as a stat dec or track down info from the breeder/pound you purchased from.

If they are LT registered and you want them recorded on a data base other than CAR, it's simply a matter of contacting that registry and completing the details as required.

ETA: if they are life time registered in NSW and become lost or impounded, providing your details are up to date, you will be contacted.

Pet address, looks to be an additional service, privately provided, where you can record your pets details.

It's the Companion Animals Register, that is the important one and is most important to be kept up to date, should you move or your details change.

Edited by ReadySetGo

This happened to my sister. Her American Bullie cross went missing up here and QLD and it turns out that the people she got her from had not sent off the paperwork to register the microchip. Sadly we never found poor Nara wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Chase up the people who microchipped her and go from there!

Hi Skruffy n Flea

ReadySetGo is spot on.

Normally both forms are completed together & then processed together.

1. You & your dog’s details are entered into the NSW Companion Animals Registry using the permanent identification form http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHome/Docu...ntification.pdf

2. Registration can then be completed using a Lifetime registration form http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHome/Docu...egistration.pdf & added to the C.A.R. NSW Companion Animal Registry

You should then receive a letter indicating that registration is complete.

However, be aware, not all chip implantation forms get completed within the required time frame. Admin can be bogged down with paperwork, some vets forward their implant forms on a monthly basis & a lot of forms can be incorrectly completed which also slows the process while correct details are being sourced. Yep, this is wrong, but it's a reality.

Chipps

Edited to fix typos & added text

Edited by Chipps

This happened to my sister. Her American Bullie cross went missing up here and QLD and it turns out that the people she got her from had not sent off the paperwork to register the microchip. Sadly we never found poor Nara wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Chase up the people who microchipped her and go from there!

When I moved houses I went to change the dogs' address with CAR. Turns out that two of them had never had their microchip numbers/details forwarded by the implanter. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

There is a national registry

national pet registry

Both Charlie and Em are on this. That is the green thing you see on Charlie's collar a lot in photos. On it there is a phone number you can call, and his membership number. You can also go on the website to write down the number and get the owners details. I hope all this makes sense.

5181570818_177ecb488a_z.jpg

Emmy as one too but it's under her fur! :rofl:

Edited by CW EW

thanks everyone for your replies :eek:

i've got some paperwork to sift thru but what i located last night [well, in the wee small hours of this morning :rofl:] was byron's CAR printout so i KNOW he's at least on that register...

i'll get some time over the weekend to sort this out and also to read your replies in greater depth ;)

Central Animal Records is a National Register.

After having issues with my girl's chip information not coming up here in Victoria I did some investigating.

Dogs microchipped in NSW ARE NOT registered on the National Register and their information will not come up if you enter their chip details on the National Register.

Seems when I discovered this - NSW had the option for you to register your dogs Nationally when they were chipped but they did not openly make that information available to breeders and owners. So if you are a breeder or just microchipping your dog yourself in NSW be sure you request that your dog is included on the National Register. The last thing you want is for your dog to go missing interstate and for the pound or rescue service to not be able to find you because your dog isnt on the national register.

There is a national registry

national pet registry

Both Charlie and Em are on this. That is the green thing you see on Charlie's collar a lot in photos. On it there is a phone number you can call, and his membership number. You can also go on the website to write down the number and get the owners details. I hope all this makes sense.

Emmy as one too but it's under her fur! :laugh:

Billie is on this register too. I will have someone check for the chip and verify details next time we are at the vet.

She had a collar on (with this, council tag and ID tag) when I left for work yesterday but not when I got home. I can't find it anywhere :thumbsup:

I put my dog on the national pet registry. Got sent the green tag as well. Registered with the council also. But when i search in the national pet registry site for the microchip number, it fails to locate the details of my pet. Does it mean its not in the system?

I put my dog on the national pet registry. Got sent the green tag as well. Registered with the council also. But when i search in the national pet registry site for the microchip number, it fails to locate the details of my pet. Does it mean its not in the system?

Did you send them the microchip papers as well? When I got Kairu I had to send them the microchip papers for it to be registered and pay the registration I think was $10.

Did you send them the microchip papers as well? When I got Kairu I had to send them the microchip papers for it to be registered and pay the registration I think was $10.

oh, no i didn't....

So what is the purpose of the NSW Companion Animals Register form? I thought this was to get the microchip into the system? :laugh:

oh, no i didn't....

So what is the purpose of the NSW Companion Animals Register form? I thought this was to get the microchip into the system? :laugh:

The national pet register is different from nsw companion animals register from what I know.

They are not connected.. Kairu was on the nsw car.. If you ring the national pet register, they can tell you if the microchip is registered anywhere...

To go on the national pet register I had to send them a registration form though and they told me that when updating details I have to do it for both. This is in Vic not sure if it's the same everywhere cmiiw :eek:

I recently had this problem too, actually only a few days ago. I have moved and wanted to update the details. I entered the microchip number, which was written down in the vaccination certificate, on the national pet register site and was told it was not registered. Unaware that there are so many different registers, I called the RSPCA (since they microchipped him) and was told about all the other registers and to try them. I finally found his chip number on the Australasian Animal Register. Wouldn't it be easier to just combine all these different registers? I thought the reason behind microchipping was to be able to find a dog's owners quickly if it went missing....

totally agree.. they're very very confusing.. if you get one from interstate even more so.

I should collect all this info and put it on a blog or something :laugh:

I think if you do lose your pet, the first to ring is probably national pet register because they can check where the chip is registered at. but really combining it will make life so much easier

totally agree.. they're very very confusing.. if you get one from interstate even more so.

I should collect all this info and put it on a blog or something ;)

Thats an excellent idea! :thumbsup: It is probably just me but i felt the instructions on the pet registry website is not very clear.

By default, when you microchip your dog and register with the council, which register does it go into? If you don't register with the other pet registers and if you lose your dog (knock on wood) and say

1) someone takes it to a vet, would the vet be able to track down the microchip if it is just registered with the council

2) if someone takes it to the pound, could they track it down if it is just registered with the council

If both the above is yes, then what are the other pet registries for?

Thats an excellent idea! :thumbsup: It is probably just me but i felt the instructions on the pet registry website is not very clear.

By default, when you microchip your dog and register with the council, which register does it go into? If you don't register with the other pet registers and if you lose your dog (knock on wood) and say

1) someone takes it to a vet, would the vet be able to track down the microchip if it is just registered with the council

2) if someone takes it to the pound, could they track it down if it is just registered with the council

Don't know about other states, but in NSW, councils enter the details into the statewide NSW CAR NSW Companion Animal Registry. It only lists NSW animals.

Interstate animals that get impounded or taken to vets for ID in NSW will need to be identified by contacting the relevant state site if possible.

A national system would be the ducks guts.

Edited by Chipps

From what I see.. Registering with the council doesn't do much apart from following the law that you must register if they're above 3 months and wear the council tag when they are out. If someone found your pet with the tag. Ringing council would probably do some good. Microchip wise I don't think they know. Might be wrong though. I just looked at the councils registration paper and it doesn't state the microchip on it. Just the tag no and your address.

When you microchip, I think you go on the CAR registry for the state.. But it's probably not compulsory and up to the owner to register them. I can only speak from kairu's experience though. He was chipped in nsw, and was on the nsw car registry. When I got him in Vic, registering with the council gives me the yellow tag, registering with national pet register, gives the green tag and you go on their database with the chip number

Edited by spitzbaby