Stiff Puppies

puglvr

It's been about 2 years since the last reply in the original thread. Has anyone found out any more?

Just experience this with the pug litter I am looking after at the moment. he is the biggest pup and only 1 day old. If I hadn't read this thread I'm sure I would have freaked out and not believe what I saw.

Quite possibly hypoglycemic and it's very freaky the first time it happens to you

I had one of those in this litter. :rolleyes:

Lucky for me on was on the phone at the time to my mentor and she calmed me down and talked me through it.

Weird part we had already discussed this at various stages, I knew what to do but i just could not seperate the emotion and do it.

It's when the blood sugar levels get low and the puppy gets cold and goes stiff (As if it was dead). It can happen in seconds!

I had the puppy in my hand, and it was all good, I put it down and it went stiff like it was stretching and it was cold to touch.

You can rub sandoz/Karo syrup/glucose in to the gums and help to bring the puppy around.

Quite possibly hypoglycemic and it's very freaky the first time it happens to you

I had one of those in this litter. :rolleyes:

Lucky for me on was on the phone at the time to my mentor and she calmed me down and talked me through it.

Weird part we had already discussed this at various stages, I knew what to do but i just could not seperate the emotion and do it.

It's when the blood sugar levels get low and the puppy gets cold and goes stiff (As if it was dead). It can happen in seconds!

I had the puppy in my hand, and it was all good, I put it down and it went stiff like it was stretching and it was cold to touch.

You can rub sandoz/Karo syrup/glucose in to the gums and help to bring the puppy around.

OMG I have had one of them....put it down picked it up, freaked out, put it down.....then picked it up and it was all good again.

I was so freaked out I didnt tell anyonne. Phew see I wasnt going mad. Thanks for this thread Puglvr. :mad He only did it to me once. :rofl:

OMG, so this isn't unusual. I had one of these too. Was sitting in the whelping box with the pups watching them feed. The biggest puppy suddenly fell off the teat and went stiff and freezing cold. From a normal, suckling pup to "dead" in a second.

I picked him up and rubbed him hard. Went went floppy and then came round. He lost a lot of weight afterwards but never did it again.

It was very scary at the time.

We had this happen with our first litter, we werrent told how warm to keep the puppies so we basically cooked them, one went very stiff and started frothing, he was dehydrated and once the vet had hydrated him he was fine, and is a very healthy boy now almost 5yrs old