Vale: Molly's Ovaries Etc

mumof3

Companion animal product Suprelorin

Future Indications:

Use in females for fertility control

Use in hormone responsive incontinence

Use in other species (population control) - ongoing

This is of their website.

So at this stage I cannot find on there website that it can be used, but I know a couple of people on DOL have used it in bitches

Companion animal product Suprelorin

Future Indications:

Use in females for fertility control

Use in hormone responsive incontinence

Use in other species (population control) - ongoing

This is of their website.

So at this stage I cannot find on there website that it can be used, but I know a couple of people on DOL have used it in bitches

That's interesting thanks OSoSwift. Too late now. Poor thing is recovering in a nice comfy cage.

I think it would be excellent to be able to suspend a female's fertility without destroying it forever. The finality of speying is what I was having trouble with too. That and I feel a little like I have betrayed her. If there were a product that I could have safely used (like women use Implanon) as a contraceptive for a few years, I would go that way. Implanon also suspends many women's cycle which is often a welcome side effect, and would be great for a bitch too. I'll have to remember that there is a product if I find myself in this situation again.

Thanks others for after surgery care advice. She has weed a few times. I carried her out to some grass at about 5.30, and she was still pretty groggy. She saw a cane toad and tried to follow it into a culvert. Poor thing couldn't even walk straight and she was hunting! She was much brighter at 9.00 and even managed a few biscuits (like maybe 6) before I put her into her cage for the night. I gave her an extra blanket to help keep her warm, and I've shifted her to a larger cage so she has a bit more room.

DH dropped her off at about 10.00 and picked her up at 2.00. While we haven't had a desexing surgery done through this vet before, he knows we are pretty capable about looking after our animals, after so many years on stations and in remote communities. Tomorrow I hope to see her quite alert for short periods, no longer groggy. I expect her to be sore and to sleep more than normal as her body recovers. I also expect that she will take small amounts of appetising food, but may not be terribly hungry yet tomorrow. She should drink normally though. I might even monitor water intake as well as wees and poos. Sound about right?

Thanks everyone for your support and advice.

Can't you use Suprelorin for bitches as well?

Can you still get it in Aussie? We used to be able to get in it NZ but now can't. Not sure why - it's not illegal, just something to do with the supplier.

Also, pretty sure it's not actually officially licensed for use in bitches (correct me someone if I'm wrong) although people do use it that way. Not licensed just means that if anything goes wrong, the company won't want to know you.

Can you still get it in Aussie? We used to be able to get in it NZ but now can't. Not sure why - it's not illegal, just something to do with the supplier.

Also, pretty sure it's not actually officially licensed for use in bitches (correct me someone if I'm wrong) although people do use it that way. Not licensed just means that if anything goes wrong, the company won't want to know you.

Not sure if it's licensed or not, I thought it was but their website would lead me to assume it isn't but something they may be testing for, for future use.

I got a Suprelorin implant for Lewis in August as far as I am aware it is still available, but not sure.

When I did my chemical handling course, we were told that the instructions on the packet actually constitute a lawful direction under the Veterinary Medicines registration legislation (can't remember the name: APVM comes to mind??), and that usage contrary to the legal directions on the packet is a breach of the law. Would this be the same for medicines such as Suprelorin? Or does it just apply to poisons like the acaricides we use in our business? Just raising it as there may be more consequences to usage of medicines contrary to the label directions?

And my little girl is much better this morning. She wants to run, of course I'm not letting her. She seems a little sore, but all in all I think she is looking really good. Crate training as a puppy is coming into its own now - she is content to just settle down and go to sleep, which is exactly what she needs.

When I did my chemical handling course, we were told that the instructions on the packet actually constitute a lawful direction under the Veterinary Medicines registration legislation (can't remember the name: APVM comes to mind??), and that usage contrary to the legal directions on the packet is a breach of the law. Would this be the same for medicines such as Suprelorin? Or does it just apply to poisons like the acaricides we use in our business? Just raising it as there may be more consequences to usage of medicines contrary to the label directions?

I can only tell you the law as it is in NZ, but I think Aussie is similar.

If a vet uses a medicine for a different purpose, at a different dose rate, via a different route, or in a different species than the manufacturer recommends, then that constitutes "off label" (discretionary) use of the medicine. A vet is allowed to do this for an animal under their care (following certain guidelines), but if they do then the drug manufacturer isn't obliged to take any responsibility if things go wrong - the buck stops with the vet.

Sometimes vets are pretty much obliged to use drugs off label, for example there are very few drugs that are registered for treating llamas and alpacas in this country, so almost every time you treat a llama for anything you'll be using drugs off label.

Edited by Staranais

I can only tell you the law as it is in NZ, but I think Aussie is similar.

If a vet uses a medicine for a different purpose, at a different dose rate, via a different route, or in a different species than the manufacturer recommends, then that constitutes "off label" (discretionary) use of the medicine. A vet is allowed to do this for an animal under their care (following certain guidelines), but if they do then the drug manufacturer isn't obliged to take any responsibility if things go wrong - the buck stops with the vet.

Sometimes vets are pretty much obliged to use drugs off label, for example there are very few drugs that are registered for treating llamas and alpacas in this country, so almost every time you treat a llama for anything you'll be using drugs off label.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up Staranais. In our business, we have certain permits from AVMPA or something like that which allow us to use certain acaracides (tick killing chemicals) contrary to the indications on the label. They are called permits for off label use.