Vale: Molly's Ovaries Etc

mumof3

Well the time has come. My beautiful little Brittany girl has to go to the vet today to be speyed. And I'm a little sad about it.

I'm only a recent convert to the purebred dog world. My experience with this pup, and with her breeder has taught me so much and I now have an enourmous respect for the level of care, knowledge and investment of time and money that goes into breeding and raising really good dogs. My little girl is on the full register, as I was considering getting a prefix and becoming a registered breeder myself, but I've since decided I just don't have the time to do it justice, with three small kids and a business to run. In the past we've had working dogs, on large cattle properties. I don't know anyone who owns registered working dogs out here, but we've all bred working dogs, joining a good bitch from a reliable line with a good dog from a reliable line. We used to have a high demand for our puppies. Now, even years later, we get people ringing us and asking us if we can help them trace a relative to their pup which has died for one reason or another. So, we enjoyed breeding dogs, and even though they were not registered, they were well raised, per the Lithgow method. We gave them away to homes which we knew were good working homes (in a small rural community you know who is who) because we were only breeding to provide another pup for ourselves when we needed to add one to the crew. I don't buy the line that people should not breed their bitches because it is dangerous for the bitch - perhaps it is for some breeds I guess. But I know that bitches love having a littler of puppies. And I'm sad that my current little girl will never get to do this, but I know that it is the right thing to do now, with this dog. Such is my respect for what went into breeding and raising her - I don't have time to raise puppies properly right now, even if I could jump through all the other hoops. I'm just a little sad about it. Does anyone understand or am I going to get shot down in flames for saying these things on this forum?

Edited by mumof3

Well I hope you won't get shot down in flames. I accept that some people feel sad about it, but thinking of what a "bitch is going to miss out on" is anthropomorphism at its highest :D :( . She isn't a human being who thinks about what she might have missed out in life.

She has come from a breeder whom you respect and when anyone talks to you about her, you can carry your conversion further.

Not going to shoot you down because I believe you have provided yourself with the perfect reasons for not breeding your dog!! You don't have the time so I believe you are making the right choice!!

There is nothing to stop you though from getting your prefix now and learning HEAPS more about your breed and then in the future getting another dog to breed from, just think how much wiser you will be in the years to come :D

Funny you posted this as I am sitting here currently regretting making the same decision 2 years ago. So make sure that you really want to do this as well there is no going back!

Oh NO! I really DON'T want to do it, but they don't make Implanon for dogs, as far as I am aware. I really want to keep her entire for another two or three years, then turn to breeding then. Can't just live with an entire bitch though - not in our town. (I'll be moving to the east coast in two or three years) Lots of stray crossbred dogs (entire dogs). And we are going on holiday for a month, and because we love her so much she is coming with us, and she'll be due for her first season anytime now. Probably while we are away. What else can I do?

Thanks all for the friendly replies.

I've been told that the injection is not suitable for continuous use.

And my vet hasn't offered me any other options.

Too late now.

Speying her is sad, but I do think it is the right thing for my family. Perhaps breeding dogs will be something I do in the future when my kids are all older. Molly is a pet. The much loved, forever family pet. She has the home that many breeders hope that all their puppies will find. And I guess she will not miss having puppies, that is correct. Perhaps I am just feeling sorry for myself, because I will miss out on her having puppies, and so wll my kids. But that in itself is not a good enough reason to keep her entire.

Too late now.

Speying her is sad, but I do think it is the right thing for my family. Perhaps breeding dogs will be something I do in the future when my kids are all older. Molly is a pet. The much loved, forever family pet. She has the home that many breeders hope that all their puppies will find. And I guess she will not miss having puppies, that is correct. Perhaps I am just feeling sorry for myself, because I will miss out on her having puppies, and so wll my kids. But that in itself is not a good enough reason to keep her entire.

That's fair enough, mumof3 - and a lot of people think that way. The difference is that you have made the right and ethical decision :D

Get your fix of puppies here; you'll have to wade through a few of the flamers that you were worried about :( :D but Caz and seen and heard it all:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=211031

Too late now.

If it's the one I know of it, it dramatically increases the chance they'll have a pyometra. I wouldn't give it to my dog.

Thanks all for the understanding.

My little girl is back home already. She seems quite sorry for herself. I've left her in her travel crate in the shed in the back of the ute - she doesn't even get to her feet, just lazy opens her eyes and wags the very tip of her tail. Normally she would be wagging her entire body. I might leave her there for now, and take her out when she is more alert. She needs to be kept well clear of the kids for a few days - last thing she needs is my 18mth old jumping on her belly. I'm going to invest in some good bones and stuff and freeze a kong for entertainment.

Poor little thing. But it feels a weight has lifted. Like, I've sort of crossed the idea of breeding off my list for a few more years. One less thing to think about. And she can just be our loved pet - which was always her primary purpose.

Any post operative care instructions are welcome. Our vet is a capable but no nonsense bush vet. And my husband took her over there (110km to the vet), so I don't have the instructions first hand. Just keep her locked up for a couple of days. No antibiotics? No overnight stay. I do have some sedative for when we travel with her in a few weeks - though I'm not sure why she needs sedating. We don't sedate the kids (sometimes I wish we could).

Maggie my foster kelpie was desexed a couple of weeks ago. No overnight stay for her, no antibiotics, in fact I dropped her off at 8.30 am and picked her up at 2.30 pm, probably normally earlier than a vet would like but the vet knows me well and knows that I would know if anything was amiss.

Just keep your girl quiet for a few days (or try to) and she should be well recovered. I think you did the sensible thing too.

She will not fully shake off the anaesthesia til the morning ...make sure she's warm tonight ..if she doesn't want to eat, don't force her :(

It's a full anaesthetic..and a surgery of some invasion ..so yes, she will be sore and weary .

important- please do NOT let her JUMP in & out the ute..or up onto things! That sort of movement really stretches the surgery site :grimace::love:

She needs to not run/jump preferably until stitches are removed in about 10 days.Don't be tempted to let her gallop around before then ...especially as you have a long drive, should stitches tear :cry:

I do understand what you are feeling. Having said that I felt sad when I had my Dobe (RIP) done until I have a good 12 months of mentally together, no phantoms, no bitchiness happy go lucky dog every day. Then I was VERY happy she was desexed.

I guess for me it's the finality of it all, there is no going back once it is done. So I do feel a bit should I, shouldn't I. In time however you will be happy with what you have done and she can be a happy pet with no worries about seasons, mismatings etc. When you have more time you may decided to welcome another bitch into your family.

Can't you use Suprelorin for bitches as well?

I do understand what you are feeling. Having said that I felt sad when I had my Dobe (RIP) done until I have a good 12 months of mentally together, no phantoms, no bitchiness happy go lucky dog every day. Then I was VERY happy she was desexed.

I guess for me it's the finality of it all, there is no going back once it is done. So I do feel a bit should I, shouldn't I. In time however you will be happy with what you have done and she can be a happy pet with no worries about seasons, mismatings etc. When you have more time you may decided to welcome another bitch into your family.

Whats Suprelorin?

Sounds like a well thought out sensible decision to me, no smokey flames here.

As for bitches enjoying having pups, I'm sure some do its natures way, however an animal can only really enjoy what it has already experienced, otherwise its unchartered territory and unknown, so she won't 'miss' it per se.

She'll now be able to settle into a very comfy family life and enjoy all the things she used to do before she was desexed. :) Plus bring the family smiles all round.

Whats Suprelorin?

An implant originally manufactered for male dogs as a chemical casteration but I am sure one or two have used it on bitches here. My vet didn't know much about it and ordered it in and charged me the same as it would cost to have him casterated as they want more dogs desexed pemanently, they do not say much about the implant at all unless you ask. It come in a 6 or 12 mth implant. I will have to google.