Insurance?

Kirislin

I've just gathered all my camera gear together and updated my insurance. It's added a bit more onto my home contents but it covers me if I should loose or break any of it while I'm out. I think it's worth the extra for the security. Does anyone else have their gear covered?

It's full of grey areas and a real need to read the small print. If you have any photographic work for sale (anywhere) they can refuse to pay up under "household" as the equipment is suddenly considered business-and-commercial. If multiple high-value items are taken from the house, they might pay out on only one of them or to an "agreed" maximum which is only half the value of the gear stolen. (And they can include computers in this amount).

If you have insured all your gear for only "a bit more" that's great, usually it is a very big bit more to get full coverage.

It's usually a requirement at "events" for photographers, even if amateur/hobbyist whatever name fits, to have proof of public liability insurance. You can get this at around $500 a year minimum, and include equipment in the package. Better to be covered if vague spectator trips on the tripod and sues, and even if the fall only kills the lens and camera.

I'm not happy with our policies over all, and will be re-shopping around in the new year. So I'm also interested in how people cover their insurance needs at hobby, semi-pro or full-pro levels,

My gear is all covered - I don't even think I need to 'list' any items.

The new limit is $2,500 per item.

My insurance company once had to pay out for a camera (20D plus 70-200 2.8 L IS) I left sitting on the side of the road (I forgot it when I was loading up the car). I got a new 40D and a new lens.

Edited by Luke W

My insurance company once had to pay out for a camera (20D plus 70-200 2.8 L IS) I left sitting on the side of the road (I forgot it when I was loading up the car). I got a new 40D and a new lens.

:) Geez, wish I was driving in that part of Melbourne that day! :laugh:

PossumCorner are you saying that because Kirislin has work listed on RB they can refuse to pay out??

:D Geez, wish I was driving in that part of Melbourne that day! :laugh:

PossumCorner are you saying that because Kirislin has work listed on RB they can refuse to pay out??

It's interesting Luke was with CGU because that's the very one I said put all the restrictions on us as to "when how and if" a policy covers losses. As far as RB listing, what they said is that each claim is researched on its merits, and promoting photographs for sale at any level can be regarded as a business. And that they can be thorough in their checking, and because it is a legal contract that not disclosing is a larger issue. So I guess they can refuse if they choose, depending on the wording of the policy, but can equally choose to pay for claims.

So as I said I'll look around next year, good to know that Luke had good treatment with CGU. But he mentioned the $2,500 per item limit. That covers entry-level cameras: it doesn't reach high-end bodies or lenses though, or for example our embroidery machine (can be used in some card-craftwork which is offered for sale) replacement over $4000, either of which combined with a few other items exceeds I think it was a $7000 limit on a claim. That's wooly English (late/tired) but I think understandable - that there is a per item ceiling, and then also a total claim ceiling for specified items.

I have my camera insurance through AIS. I had rung my insurer (CGU) but was told the most they'd pay out was $5K and that even if I sold just one print it would be considered business.

My gear is worth a lot more than $5K so went with the AIS who a lot of photographers use. There is also AON and there is another but the name escapes me atm. If I remember it I'll return and post. Btw, I have both camera and P/L insurance. P/L is something people need to consider to.

Thanks NSW for the AIS mention. Also tks confirming I hadn't become delusional about CGU's system.

Allianze was the best deal I found for PL, but that didn't include equipment. I have reached pox on all their houses stage, but will keep chipping away.

I had "bad feedback" re AON but that was agricultural business, maybe not their chosen market.