Qld Government Collars Dog Breeders

Mila's Mum

As far as Im aware and considering what is happening in the "pilot" program on the gold coast you will be inspected before the issue of the number.

So what - move more than 2 dogs out for the inspection and when it's done bring em home again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no. With no extra application, no extra fees & with no extra external inspections.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/News.aspx?id=235

And there needs to be public education on the benefits of buying a puppy that comes from a source already given the thumbs up by this registering body. That source has proven it's lived up to ethical guidelines. That's what counts, not just a number.

Do you?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...redited+breeder

And in the mean time any registered breeder who opts not to join this accredited breeder scheme and pay the extra money is scum.

All thats doing is showing what we have been saying for years there needs to be a way of telling the good from the bad but if thats the best they can come up with - not much hope.

Tell me where in that accredited breeder program where its says you cant own 400 dogs, breed cross breds as well as registered or you cant sell to pet shops.

I know, it is one of the things I do have conflicting views about, on one hand rules are rules, but on the other is someone has had no hassle ever with neighbours and their dogs are well cared for and never cause a fuss then I can't see the harm. After all, in some places local council can't tell you how many dogs you can have, it is ok in NSW to have no limit, as long as you cause no trouble with your dogs. The reality is that some good dog breeders do go over a bit on their limits, they don't have enough dogs to warrant buying a property to set up kennels and can't often afford to for what is a small hobby. So we enforce dog limits everywhere, force out small breeders who produce quality puppies and all you have left are commercial dog farms who can afford to comply with increasingly strict and sometimes ridiculous new laws.

Ahhh, ok :D

I also see that any expensive regulations would do this. I was hoping if it is just a matter of applying for a breeder's number, that it should be a fairly inexpensive exercise. Annoying, yes, expensive, no.

And those registered with the council simply provide their dog/s rego number & voila!! Here's your breeder's number.

And then go from there when Breeder A's number comes up in conjunction with 500 pups/year.

Yes, probably too simple :thumbsup:

We have one member who owns two dogs - one of which is the only champion bitch of her kind in the country - the other is old.

The breeders property doesnt pass for her to be able to breed so she has to wait until she moves to different premises to do that - in around 2 years.The owner is happy to do this. However, you cant own an entire dog without a breeders permit.

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no. With no extra application, no extra fees & with no extra external inspections.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/News.aspx?id=235

And there needs to be public education on the benefits of buying a puppy that comes from a source already given the thumbs up by this registering body. That source has proven it's lived up to ethical guidelines. That's what counts, not just a number.

Do you?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...redited+breeder

Yes, I still do. For the reasons given.

I know, it is one of the things I do have conflicting views about, on one hand rules are rules, but on the other is someone has had no hassle ever with neighbours and their dogs are well cared for and never cause a fuss then I can't see the harm. After all, in some places local council can't tell you how many dogs you can have, it is ok in NSW to have no limit, as long as you cause no trouble with your dogs. The reality is that some good dog breeders do go over a bit on their limits, they don't have enough dogs to warrant buying a property to set up kennels and can't often afford to for what is a small hobby. So we enforce dog limits everywhere, force out small breeders who produce quality puppies and all you have left are commercial dog farms who can afford to comply with increasingly strict and sometimes ridiculous new laws.

Ahhh, ok :(

I also see that any expensive regulations would do this. I was hoping if it is just a matter of applying for a breeder's number, that it should be a fairly inexpensive exercise. Annoying, yes, expensive, no.

And those registered with the council simply provide their dog/s rego number & voila!! Here's your breeder's number.

And then go from there when Breeder A's number comes up in conjunction with 500 pups/year.

Yes, probably too simple :thumbsup:

We have one member who owns two dogs - one of which is the only champion bitch of her kind in the country - the other is old.

The breeders property doesnt pass for her to be able to breed so she has to wait until she moves to different premises to do that - in around 2 years.The owner is happy to do this. However, you cant own an entire dog without a breeders permit.

now that is a true catch 22 :D

Mita why is dogs queensland registering puppies and allowing people to be members who are not up to scratch. If they are not all following the law and the basics why are they allowing them to remain members? Why should a law make more business for a dog group? Considering the MDBA code of conduct for breeders is harder and now we have a registry its has more restrictions on registrations with mandatory and recommended testing should any members of the MDBA also be given exemption? Its harder to get into the MDBA than it is to comply with the NSW and Queensland accredited breeder programs! Would it be O.K. for a stste law to drum up more members for us?

I couldn't agree more - I am thinking this is just another money making scheme for our broke Queensland government. I think a lot more thought should of been put into this and why were there only basically three bodies talked to about what should be happening. As in most cases the people that are doing the right thing are the ones being penalised and it is not going to stop the puppy mills from selling the pups without being registered.
What do you mean? You are one of the ones doing the wrong thing....people doing the right thing are reg breeders like a friend of mine in Townsville who was forced to move from her house or face the shire coming to seize her dogs.

I couldn't agree more with Shazzapug.

Kyles, if we all didn't pay any breeder registration fees like you, and just kept "pets" and bred from them every now and then, like you, just as "pets", then we would have no more registration of dogs pedigrees (family history) and very little health testing of the dogs.

The forbears of your dogs had their pedigrees recorded so people later could know what was in their bloodlines, and this is very important.

The pups you have bred and sold have not had their pedigrees recorded and so in years to come when you are no longer around, nobody will know what is behind those pups.

The world is at a disadvantage because you didnt bother to register their pedigrees - it was going to cost you money after all.

Why should you not pay any fees for the privilege of breeding your dogs?

Why is it that it is OK for all of the registered breeders to pay their fees, and for you not to pay?

Can you tell me why you should be treated any differently to any other person who is breeding from their dogs?

Souff

:thumbsup: Are you saying that part of the laws for getting the 'breeder's number', will also include a law banning you from owning an entire dog without a 'breeder's number'?

Or is there such a law already in place?

And obviously I am probably using law, instead of by-law, but I'm easily confused about that :laugh:

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no.

The CCCQ accredited breeder programme is a total joke. Any puppy farmer can become an accredited breeder and I know of at least one who IS.

Mita why is dogs queensland registering puppies and allowing people to be members who are not up to scratch. If they are not all following the law and the basics why are they allowing them to remain members? Why should a law make more business for a dog group? Considering the MDBA code of conduct for breeders is harder and now we have a registry its has more restrictions on registrations with mandatory and recommended testing should any members of the MDBA also be given exemption? Its harder to get into the MDBA than it is to comply with the NSW and Queensland accredited breeder programs! Would it be O.K. for a stste law to drum up more members for us?

Ahhh, ok, so no need to put extra laws in place when Dogs QLD could actually just do some work, with existing laws.

:thumbsup: Got it now, thank you :laugh:

:thumbsup: Are you saying that part of the laws for getting the 'breeder's number', will also include a law banning you from owning an entire dog without a 'breeder's number'?

And obviously I am probably using law, instead of by-law, but I'm easily confused about that :laugh:

Im unsure as to exactly what they have in mind state wide but there has been a pilot program running on the gold coast which is being pushed pretty hard to go into affect state wide. It has lots of support from the RSPCA and AWL.

There is an exemption if you have the dog entire for showing or if its old or sick and wont be used for breeding but our member isnt intending to show any more and does intend to breed.

Im unsure as to exactly what they have in mind state wide but there has been a pilot program running on the gold coast which is being pushed pretty hard to go into affect state wide. It has lots of support from the RSPCA and AWL.

There is an exemption if you have the dog entire for showing or if its old or sick and wont be used for breeding but our member isnt intending to show any more and does intend to breed.

http://www.awlqld.com.au/files/Breeders%20...ion%20Sheet.pdf

Tell me where in that accredited breeder program where its says you cant own 400 dogs, breed cross breds as well as registered or you cant sell to pet shops.

:thumbsup: Have you looked in the section where it says that you can't sell to pet shops if they are not the PIAA type of pet shops ? Or have I got the wrong state ....

:thumbsup: Have you looked in the section where it says that you can't sell to pet shops if they are not the PIAA type of pet shops ? Or have I got the wrong state ....

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/Member-Forms.aspx

NSW and Queensland allow sales to pet shops and agents who are PIAA registered

How much does a Breeder Permit cost and what do I get for this?

$369 for a 3 year permit. This covers the cost of a Council officer to visit the breeder, ascertain

compliance with the Code of Practice, do the processing of the paperwork, and maintain

records.

F*** :thumbsup:

The Code sets Standards (which are requirements under the Gold Coast Local Law) and

Guidelines (which are highly recommended practices) for cat and dog breeders covering the

following areas:

So there is in fact no need at all to get $369 every 3 years from every 'breeder' because compliance with the Code of Practice is already legally enforceable.

So what's a good idea now?? Point out that incredibly salient fact hasn't escaped everyone's notice to:

Poor Joy, who's bravely/stupidly put her phone numbers up???

Or GCCC?

How much does a Breeder Permit cost and what do I get for this?

$369 for a 3 year permit. This covers the cost of a Council officer to visit the breeder, ascertain

compliance with the Code of Practice, do the processing of the paperwork, and maintain

records.

F*** :thumbsup:

The Code sets Standards (which are requirements under the Gold Coast Local Law) and

Guidelines (which are highly recommended practices) for cat and dog breeders covering the

following areas:

So there is in fact no need at all to get $369 every 3 years from every 'breeder' because compliance with the Code of Practice is already legally enforceable.

So what's a good idea now?? Point out that incredibly salient fact hasn't escaped everyone's notice to:

Poor Joy, who's bravely/stupidly put her phone numbers up???

Or GCCC?

But part of the compliance is you pay the permit