Nail Grinders

sheena

LOVE THEM! LOVE THEM! LOVE THEM! Only the Dremmel ones, can't say as I've heard any good reports about the little Reject-Shop-only-does-pet-nails style ones. The Dremmels do LOTS more than just doggy nails - you will be empowered!! Get the extenda lead add-on thingy (technical name! :) ) or buy the Bunnings Ozita version, which has the extension thingy in the kit. (Ozita better on the wallet also). I clamp the motor housing to a bench and use the extenda thingy to actually tackle the nails - so much more flexible and light, plus the noise stays stationary if the dog is a tad nervous.

Easy to use? Oh yes, once you've trained your dog to get accustomed to them, they just relax and even snooze while you are dremmeling!

Here is a excellent tutorial site. Go to DoberDawn.com and click on "How to Dremel Dog Nails". I won't put a link because she changes providers sometimes...

I have an Ozita from Bunnings. I use it on the dogs and for my own pedicures too.

I still clip their nails, but use the tool to round off the edges.

I can't say the dogs love it, but I never put any effort into training them with it. They tolerate it.

I use a Dremel, cordless rechargable one so that when I get to a show and havent done their nails I can do them whilst waiting for our turn in the ring. My dogs tolerate it because they dont have a choice, none of them enjoy it though.

Yep, use them on the small or young fosters.

For the Danes I cut their nails and then Dremmel otherwise it can take forever.

Don't don't love it but put up with it because they have no other choice.

Edited by sas

I think they are fine for smoothing off the nail after a trim, or you can use them on a weekly basis if you have the time. Care is needed not to keep working for long on one nail, or it will be hot and uncomfortable for the dog.

I think they are fine for smoothing off the nail after a trim, or you can use them on a weekly basis if you have the time. Care is needed not to keep working for long on one nail, or it will be hot and uncomfortable for the dog.

That's true, although you can trim enough off to not have to warrant weekly attention. It's a matter of trimming a bit on each nail of the first foot and then going back over each until they are sufficiently shortened.

I use the Dremel. I have the plug in style - I think it is a bit quieter than the cordless (so I was informed by the store keeper, whose Mum is a showy). I've not ever used a cordless but I don't have any problems with the cord style. I have always made sure the cord is out of the way of an inquisitive mouth.

DoberDawn - Trimming nails with a Dremel.

Edited by Erny