Training A Husky

RL1

Can any Husky owners tell me if it is a difficult breed to own and train ? and am i right in saying the Husky

has a very high prey drive by nature ?

Another point, could one say the training required for a Husky is more involved and important compared to owning/training a Samoyed ?

Thanks.

Hi RL

IMO, Sibes can be difficult compared to other breeds especially for the average owner.

They are strong willed and stubborn and not naturally biddable. But how difficult they are to train largely depends on what methods you are using to train them, what your goals are (i.e. what you want to achieve) and how experienced the owner is.

I find my Siberian miles easier to train than my beagle. He's quite prey and food driven. Sibes are definitely naturally prey driven. They need very good fencing as they can be escape artists, they need consistent training from day one and they need quite a bit of mental and physical exercise. I don't know how much 'easier' they are compared to Samoyeds, but the Sammies I've met do tend to be more laid back than Sibes (though they still have all the typical spitz traits).

ETA: I find my Siberian a joy to live with and train, he is just a pleasure, he is a lovely natured dog but I do like a challenge and I enjoy his more "special" traits as that makes it more interesting for me.

Edited by huski

Another point, could one say the training required for a Husky is more involved and important compared to owning/training a Samoyed ?

I'd be inclined to think so, although I've only owned Sibes myself and not Samoyeds - but it seems there are a lot more Sams doing obedience and agility than there are Sibes. The Sams I have met seem a lot more biddable than Sibes, and keen to please their owners.

My Sibes are prey driven, food driven, and extremely intelligent. They are very quick to learn although they usually only do as they are told if they think there's something in it for them (ie food). Secure fencing is a must. My two girls are pretty low maintanence though - they don't get daily walks and I would probably only do a short training session with them about once a week.

Edited by Miss B

As with what others have said, my Sibe is also very prey and food driven, and very intelligent. The fact that she's food driven makes her easier to train, but she's not the easiest in the world. We have worked fairly hard with her (my girl is 10 months) and we get a fair few comments on how well trained she is for a puppy. As a pup, they are definitely harder to train than other breeds, but once they grow a brain they get a little easier (Akira is finally starting to get to this point).

Intelligence can be difficult, because they will go "Why should I do what you want?" at times, and other times they just won't listen at all. But they are definitely trainable if you put the time and effort in. No matter what though, there will be times they say "Stuff you" and go and do their own thing, no matter how well trained.

I know nothing about training Sibes but it might be worth sending Snopaws a PM, she has both breeds and might be able to give you a better idea about the difference in training them

No. I'm not thinking about owning either. Having a friendly argument with someone who just got a Husky pup and thinks that because they've owned Sams that it will be a walk in the park owning/training one.

What Huski and Miss B said was along the line's i was thinking and expecting.

Thanks guys.

ETA.. and whiskedaway

Edited by RottyLover01

I don't own a sibe, but I do own a Keeshond and Finnish Lapphund which are fairly similar training-wise to Samoyeds... A training partner and friend of mine has a sibe (~Shell~) and there is a fair amount of difference between what is required for her to train Zero in comparison to my two. I can slacken off a little if I like with the 'rules' within my house and with what I do with training, but if Shell does - Zero will walk all over her. My two are also more biddable - they do question what I am asking of them, but are definitely easier to convince than a Sibe! :p