Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Here is a
- taking it slow as she is old and developing arthritis. I'm happy with how it worked, now to do a test run with Wolf...

Good work!

I think if a dog has learned to heel properly, all the hard work is already done in adapting to a bicycle.

Best of luck with Wolf.

M

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ooo cooler down that way :heart:

Cooler climates are always preferable for an ET. Remember, the test is immediately cancelled if the ambient temperature reaches 24 degrees.

This is why the tests are held in the cooler months and start so early in the mornings.

M

Good work!

I think if a dog has learned to heel properly, all the hard work is already done in adapting to a bicycle.

Best of luck with Wolf.

M

Thanks ;)

I took the first step with Wolf today and took him for a walk next to the bike on the springer (with me walking the bike). To my surprise he seemed to know what to do, and had a nice steady gait. He turned with the bike and stayed right next to me, and ignored other dogs walking by. I can't wait to get him out on a run when the weather cools!

Hi All,

Just noticed that for the first time, Dogzonline is INCLUDING the Endurance Test title in it's pointscore competitions.

This is a great move.

Go to http://www.dogzonline.com.au/showdog2011/rules_advance.asp

The ET can contribute 20 points to entrants in the Dogzonline pointscore.

M

great news! :laugh: Even more of an incentive to do the ET

Hi All

I am looking to see if there would be interest for a 3rd ET trial in WA, possibly in August and maybe in the southern suburbs?

The current two are run by the German Shepherd Club, this will be run separately if it goes to plan!!!

Interested to hear your thoughts

Jo, The Vizslas and Hamilton

Shoalwater WA

I would be if I can't get to the one on the 25th June. I can't do the September one as have a major horse show :laugh:

Aren't the current two in the Southern Suburbs? Maybe taking one North (or closer to the centre) would be good?

Yep, unless they have changed the venue the current ones are run out Jandakot way.

You guys are funny, you don't need mountain bikes or lycra to take part in an ET. You don't even need to be particularly fit. I did it on a hybrid bike.....trained in summer in normal baggy shorts, and in winter in fleecy trackies. God, the neighborhood would never recover if I got out there in lycra!

The ET course at Sale is smooth and easy. It's not "off-road", and you could easily do it on a road bike and in fact some did. They make is as easy as possible on the dogs paws, so the three surfaces are hard packed dirt, concrete (footpath) and short, smooth grass. I think there was a bit of bitumen in there too. I did not need to change gears at all.

I am way overweight, not fit at all and yet I did it with ease. And I expect I'll do it again easily this year (although I do hope to lose at least a bit of weight).

I took Isaak out with the bike last week....he is 9 months old and I thought we may as well make an early start on training for next years ET and at least get him used to the bike. He is a natural.....I didn't even need to show him what to do or give him any commands...he just ran smoothly and loosely beside me.

But this year is Dusty's year.

hello everyone; we have been reading this with great interest!

We have just started to bike with our dog Digby. He is really loving it.

Because of this it made me think about doing the possibility of Doing the ET with him.

But when I mentioned it to some dog friends they thought it would be cruel to do it with Digby because he is a very big dog.

I thought that as long as we conditioned him properly it wouldn't be cruel :thumbsup:

But I would like some opinions from people on here.

He is just 60 kgs and he is built similarly to a Bullmastiff; however he is not brachycephalic (like a bullmastiff is).

He is a rescue dog (so unknown heritage) do people think I should get his hips scored before doing something like this with him?

and one more question...

How do I check his heart rate?

Hi Raineth,

welcome to the ET list. Digby certainly is a big boy at 60kgs! As you may have read, the ET course is broken up into three stages of 8k, 6k and 6k again. Each with a rest break between them.

I think that any dog can do it with good and proper preparatory training. Given that the ET's are not held until the cooler weather starts, this gives you approximately 4-5 months to get prepared. This is more than enough time.

I do not think it would be cruel to make Digby do this. Just start his training now and build up the distances over time. The ET is run at a steady 10-12kph. It is a gentle gait for an average sized dog.

I notice you are in NSW? this would mean that you could go to Erskine Park (Sydney), or to DogsACT in Canberra to do your ET.

To check Digby's heart rate, get him to lie down on his right side. Bend his left front leg at the elbow. Touch the elbow to his chest. This is the area where you can easily hear the heartbeat. Place your fingers flat on this area and count the beats for 15 seconds. Then multiply that number by 4 and you have the heartbeats per minute.

If you need more help or info, please ask.

M

thanks!

Yeah we will try to prepare him well and obviously if its looking like its too much for him we just won't do it - so no biggy :thumbsup:

If we do it, we'll be going to Canberra :eek:

Thanks for the info on checking his heart rate. We had a go at that...

So next question: are there some guidelines about what we should be aiming for with heart rate?

thanks!

Yeah we will try to prepare him well and obviously if its looking like its too much for him we just won't do it - so no biggy :thumbsup:

If we do it, we'll be going to Canberra :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on checking his heart rate. We had a go at that...

So next question: are there some guidelines about what we should be aiming for with heart rate?

Hi Raineth,

I do not know enough about his breed to give accurate advice on that. Best you check with his vet. Explain what it is you want to do with Digby and ask the vet for his/her advice about the optimum heart rate.

Canberra has a great, interesting course at the showgrounds that is mainly flat. There are a few hills, but not big ones. It is a good, fun ET that is superbly run.

M

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/flood...e-1225985113281

very bad news in Toowoomba, Ipswich hasn't been hit yet...Brisbane river expected to peak later this afternoon.

Am watching this all on the news right now. It is terrifying. Every year we drive to the Sunshine Coast from Melbourne. It is devastating to see towns we drive through and know such as Warwick and Ipswich completely cut off.

M

Hi All,

Spare a thought for Fiona Colenso who lives in the Victorian country town of Rochester. Fiona campaigns her Vizslas in conformation, obedience, agility, jumping dogs, and endurance tests. (CH Abbiestar Ever Smart CDX ADX JDX ET, CH Abbiestar Premium Red CDX ADX JDX, CH Abbiestar Made To Order JD).

Fiona has today been ordered to leave her home and head for higher ground along with most others in the town. She has packed up the dogs and a few possessions and awaits the order to leave.

Fiona took her caravan to higher ground, only to have it sideswiped during the journey. :)

She returned home where the water is at the fence line and heading towards the house. She is now unable to leave her home.

Hoping the situation is not going to be too bad.

M

Oh no :( Hope she's ok Abbistar- keep us posted.

Took Wolf out for his first 'real' run next to the bike this arvo- he did so well! He didn't pull me off :) even when dogs ran out barking at him and other people rode past on bikes. We went for 2 Km. He kept up no problem - I on the other hand was knackered :) the slightest hills killed me. I need to get myself fit!

Oh no :cry: Hope she's ok Abbistar- keep us posted.

Took Wolf out for his first 'real' run next to the bike this arvo- he did so well! He didn't pull me off :coffee: even when dogs ran out barking at him and other people rode past on bikes. We went for 2 Km. He kept up no problem - I on the other hand was knackered :) the slightest hills killed me. I need to get myself fit!

Thanks for your concern, boxagirl. Have not heard from Fiona today, but guess I will when she gets a chance.

Glad Wolf took to the bike well. I have just walked in the door from a 50km road cycle. Two years ago I NEVER could have done this. Even doing 50ks in the car would be exhausting!

What I am trying to say is, it is amazing how quickly your body can adapt and get used to excercise. Keep the practice up. Try to increase your ride distance each time, just by a little bit. Practice with and without the dog.

Good luck.

M

I went for a 24km bike ride (without the dog) yesterday!!! :laugh: Very proud of myself! It was a 12 km gradual incline, and downhill on the way back. Discovered a great bike loop where we can take the dogs :o

Edited by boxagirl

Well the Diva is now out of season enough to really put some work into her. I decided not to do a lot of work with her when she was really, really interesting.

I am still walking and swimming her, and practising biking by myself. Still very nervous on the bike.

Hope everyone in flooded and flooding regions keeps safe and well.

I went for a 24km bike ride (without the dog) yesterday!!! :) Very proud of myself! It was a 12 km gradual incline, and downhill on the way back. Discovered a great bike loop where we can take the dogs :shrug:

This is great news! You will be ready for an ET in no time. Remember it is an easy slow pace of 10-12 kilometres per hour. If you bike has a speedo try riding at that speed for a distance to get used to it. On shorter, flatter rides, take the dog along too to start getting used to the bike.

M

Well the Diva is now out of season enough to really put some work into her. I decided not to do a lot of work with her when she was really, really interesting.

I am still walking and swimming her, and practising biking by myself. Still very nervous on the bike.

Don't be nervous on the bike. Practice to a level you are confident with, and then introduce it to the dog. The dog will pick up on your nervousness very quickly, so it is important that you develop your skill first.

M

Our friend Fiona's house in Rochester was saved. The water filled her whole street and all the houses had water to their fence lines. Fortunately that was as far as it went. The downside is, she has no power or running water and she says the smell is absolutely shocking!

M