Got A Scare

Crysis

DId he fall out of the back of the ute?? Did you have him tethered with a chocker??

What sort of pup is he?

Maybe he would be better off in the front till he is a bit older. Being an excited puppy in the back of the ute to me is a recipie for disaster.

Just wanted to add to if he was scared and frightened and you picked him up and cuddled him, you are actually reinforcing his fears. In a situation like that you are better to brush it off and go about your business.

I'm not following either. But if we are to assume that the dog was put onto the ute tray (as so many people in this country seem to do with their dogs...some ridiculous notion of tradition...), and if we are to assume that the dog somehow managed to fall off the tray, then we also must assume that the means of tether was harmful to the dog and that this caused the OP some concern, as it should.

The solution, if what happened is what I've just posted, is simple: don't tether your dog on a ute tray. It's not very safe - as you've discovered.

What can you do instead? Well, put the dog in the ute cab and secure the dog appropriately using a harness and tether strap OR a crate appropriate to the size of the dog. A ute tray gets REALLY HOT in summer. Keeping the dog in the cab means the dog doesn't overheat the way it would if on the tray.

If you won't do that, then you must get a properly designed and made crate, and have it properly secured to the tray - that is, permanently secured with proper bolts and so on. There must be a covering over the metal floor of the crate to protect your dog as best as possible from heat and cold.

This is just my opinion after years of watching dog owners put their dogs through so much misery by leaving them on a ute tray, tethered by a flat collar, with no regard for the dog's safety or well-being. There are many dogs which have died either because they've choked when they fell, or because they slid off the tray and into traffic, or because someone thought it would be a laugh to let the dog loose while nobody was looking and the dog was never seen again. :heart:

I think the fact the dog was wearing choker allowed it to jump over the edge of the ute and nearly hang itself, as opposed to its normal collar which would not have allowed the dog to reach the edge.

I just hope the OP is not breeding..........and I am not talking about the dog.

I would use a harness if the puppy is going to be in the ute tray, but at that age they are squirmy and excitable and I'm not sure I would trust it. Personally, I have my puppy in a crate on the back seat (because he gets carsick) and my adult is strapped into the passenger seat with a harness and seat belt attachment.

And putting dogs in ute trays is not a 'country' thing, we see it all the time around here, and we are quite close to Brisbane.

I think the fact the dog was wearing choker allowed it to jump over the edge of the ute and nearly hang itself, as opposed to its normal collar which would not have allowed the dog to reach the edge.

I just hope the OP is not breeding..........and I am not talking about the dog.

I think if it came to a choice between the two I would rather have his ignorance in the gene pool to modify with education over your outright arrogant nastiness.

I think if it came to a choice between the two I would rather have his ignorance in the gene pool to modify with education over your outright arrogant nastiness.

:D Thanks for saying that Haven. I wanted to say something but didn't feel like starting the new year with an argument. :heart: Most of the other comments were constructive and helpful so I was a bit surprised by the left field nastiness of the breeding comment.

I always feel a bit sorry for dogs in the back of utes - especially the flat bed ones ... They always look so uncomfortable trying to keep their balance and sometimes their tether is too short and I don't like seeing them tethered by the collar. I don't think I've ever seen them tethered using a harness - but then again, these are working dogs and I suspect putting a harness on a working dog would be inconvenient given that in the country you need it to hop on and off of the ute...

As far as I am concerned I had done everything right.

And it is narrow minded people like those who have posted on this one is why this will be my last post here.

I thought that some were bright enough without me having to spell it all out to you.

But this just doesn't seem to be the case.

So this is my new years resolution.

I will now try to delete myself from this forum, what I thought to be a good one but it is full of narrow minded people. And I don't want to be around people like that and my time is best spent where I don't have to spell things word for word.

Bushranger

Not sure how one person who is nasty can make you quit.

It's hard to tell how if you did "everything right" that you could have gotten a scare. It's also hard to tell why you would tell us this story.

Note - the cab of a ute is not necessarily a safer place for a dog to be left unattended - one of my cousins lost his dog when the door blew shut and he thought the dog was already out of the car and it was cooked in the cab.

Like the others have said, if you're going to put the dog on the ute tray - it's best if it has protection from hot floors and direct sun and is not tethered by the neck but has a harness or crate. I've seen some brilliant rigs in utes and some shockers.

This looks like it would do the job reasonably well

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-...n-331679120.htm

But no dog is going to be safe locked in or on a ute in the Australian Summer Sun.

Much better - in my opinion to keep him with you while you pay the bill even if he does get excited about every other creature that comes in.

My evil hound puts her paws on the counter and peers over the top and charms all the vet staff. I still don't get how she can reach that high.

As far as I am concerned I had done everything right.

And it is narrow minded people like those who have posted on this one is why this will be my last post here.

I thought that some were bright enough without me having to spell it all out to you.

But this just doesn't seem to be the case.

So this is my new years resolution.

I will now try to delete myself from this forum, what I thought to be a good one but it is full of narrow minded people. And I don't want to be around people like that and my time is best spent where I don't have to spell things word for word.

Oh wow, that's bloody rude.

Smart enough to figure it out?

All you left people to do is make assumptions.

Grow up eh?

And we will never know what he was talking about because he spat the dummy when all we tried to do was decipher his story and lend a hand. :laugh:

I feel very sad for this dog. Here we are trying to help and the owner doesn't seem to want to know...I have to wonder at the purpose of the thread? :shrug: