Dogs Reactions To Fireworks

Janba

Both my BC boys are worried by fire works but not to the run away in panic stage. their reactions are interesting. Cole who is very much a touchy feely dog and always near me normally is hiding in the bathroom - he's OK in there. Moss who doesn't normally cuddle much or stay too close is lying on my feet. The dally is asleep on my bed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old dog Rhoda (RIP) hated them with a passion. I thought I was finished with the fretting. However my greyhound is having a little sook and laying next to me. She is no where near as bad as Rhoda was, but it certainly makes me think of my old girl :heart:

My lab is asleep in my daughters room, they don't tend to bother him very much thank goodness. Oops, spoke too soon, now he is next to me also :D

I have heard a couple of dogs barking, but not much yet. Maybe more soon, poor things

It's a disaster at my place. My stafford missy has been in serious pannic mode for the last 5hrs.

There are constant fireworks being let off nearby.

Sedatives havn't made any difference and she's broken another crate.

I tried locking her in the dog trailer but she's smashing around so much i think she'll damage it too much.

Seriously don't know what to do or where to put her.... She is so distressed i can't contain her.

It's funny because she has never acted this bad before :heart:

I declined a party to stay home with my girls............and nothing, bangs going off all round, it didnt phase them.

This is one Staffy that is scared of the sound of strong wind in the trees, or her sister that jumps up if a car goes past with loud music. But they hardly flinch at fireworks or even the police chopper hovering overhead.......I dont get it.

I remember being about 10 years old watching the Fireworks at Port Lincoln, seeing a young bird fall out of the tree at the first bang and think, this should be banned, I still think the same.

It's a disaster at my place. My stafford missy has been in serious pannic mode for the last 5hrs.

There are constant fireworks being let off nearby.

Sedatives havn't made any difference and she's broken another crate.

I tried locking her in the dog trailer but she's smashing around so much i think she'll damage it too much.

Seriously don't know what to do or where to put her.... She is so distressed i can't contain her.

It's funny because she has never acted this bad before :heart:

I have t-shirts on mine as a recomendation from a friend and it does seem to help - maybe makes them feel more secure and lots of rescue remedy.

My vet told me years ago that sedatives like ace are a bad idea as the dogs still panic but can't really do anything about it while drugs like valium are better as they work on the brain so the dog doesn't feel the need to panic as much.

Pele barked earlier when she heard fireworks. We are watching "Master & Commander" with Russell Crowe. Lots of cannons going off, just turned up the volume, turned over to the Sydney fireworks then back to movie. No problem :heart:

Missy has been given valium but is hasn't worked.

I'm going to stick a t-shirt on her now and see if it helps.

Crackers are still going off but seem to be getting less so hopefully they stop soon.

Edited by 3Woofs

i taught bella from a young age that the sound and sight of fireworks was nothing to worry about --- to this day [2.5 years later] she remains unphased...

not so much with byron [about 3 ish], my rescue --- we've had a number of incidences over the past year and a bit and despite my best efforts, he grows velcro at the merest sound like that of blustery wind accommanied by loud banging...

i've used training techniques on the back patio in the midst of hails storms; completely open, during storms with slamming doors --- i've tried to desensitise him, exposing him to the elements, playing games with him and bella, putting him and her thru some paces but to no avail --- he pants and shakes, but at least now no salivation!!!

bella is a charm! byron is an enigma :heart:

bobbie, my torbie, was a tad upset tonight [she's 11 mo] but she seemed to cope!??! she's asleep right now, but byron is dangerously close to the wheels of this chair i'm sitting on despite my training him to rest on one of the two pillows near me --- bella is fast asleep on the pillow beneath the computer; the pillow to my left remains vacant...

Another 2 hours here. :heart: Hoping all goes well, as Stanley hasn't heard fireworks before.

turn out all the lights, leave the telly on [and turn up the sound] but take stanley to a part of the house where he can hear and see the fireworks --- the music from the telly [from what i understand and actually believe] associated with the sound and sight helps the dog remain calm...

just putting it out there :D

good luck! it's very important how you handle your dog's introduction to fireworks --- it's the same with storms and any other sound or thing that disturbs and upsets your dog :(

turn out all the lights, leave the telly on [and turn up the sound] but take stanley to a part of the house where he can hear and see the fireworks --- the music from the telly [from what i understand and actually believe] associated with the sound and sight helps the dog remain calm...

just putting it out there :D

good luck! it's very important how you handle your dog's introduction to fireworks --- it's the same with storms and any other sound or thing that disturbs and upsets your dog :(

Thanks Skruffy n Flea :heart:

My dog Maisie has become fearful of fireworks (and storms) in recent years so I left her indoors when we went out tonight. She doesn't do anything really, just sits there shaking and panting. :heart: We got home before midnight so I kept her in with me. Some idiot over the back was setting of crackers and Maisie was barking her head off at them! She was panting too, but not too bad. The other dogs have no idea what the fuss is about!

I was at a friends house in McMahons Point for the fireworks and they had their dog in the house. I was surprised as I had thought it bad news to have a dog near the fireworks.

We sat out in the yard watching the fireworks and the dog sat at my feet and ignored the noise. It fell asleep during the second lot of fireworks.

And no.... the dog is not deaf. Its a 2 year old lab.

We are away on holidays for NYE :D but our 18 month old lab is being minded by a very good doggie minder (been away less than 24 hours, miss him terribly already!). He has never seen/heard fireworks before but not bothered at all by storms etc. The doggie-sitter was just going to put him in his kitchen as we discussed/agreed before we left.

I noticed that two people posting in here with labs mentioned they don't react - I doubt fear of this type of stuff would be a breed thing but you never know ?? Maybe it's just that labs like sleeping so much that CBF taking any notice of the fireworks. :heart:

We are away on holidays for NYE :D but our 18 month old lab is being minded by a very good doggie minder (been away less than 24 hours, miss him terribly already!). He has never seen/heard fireworks before but not bothered at all by storms etc. The doggie-sitter was just going to put him in his kitchen as we discussed/agreed before we left.

I noticed that two people posting in here with labs mentioned they don't react - I doubt fear of this type of stuff would be a breed thing but you never know ?? Maybe it's just that labs like sleeping so much that CBF taking any notice of the fireworks. :heart:

Labs are gundogs and a good Lab should be genetically sound to fireworks. Labs, Golden Retrievers etc scared of fireworks are the result of dogs in their ancestories that shouldn't have been bred essentially. :(