Im Going To Get Flamed For This.. I Do Feel Really Bad Though..

Guest bigdogg

I do my utmost to keep our stock safe, we have good fencing (mesh & electric) & good dogs - if that's not enough to deter them, then I have no qualms about picking up a gun.

Putting in electric was my last resort.

Wish I had done it first thing.

Absolutely brilliant. :rofl:

Don't need a gun :rofl:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feral or domestic you did the right thing Bigdogg. I understand you would have acted differently and with more compassion had you realised they were somebodies pets but reguardless you were well within your rights, legally and morally.

BigDog thanks for your response. It's good to know that when I see someone's stupid child hurting one of my animals I can shoot it and say I thought it was dingo. I'm just so relieved to know that I don't have to check before I shoot.

BigDog thanks for your response. It's good to know that when I see someone's stupid child hurting one of my animals I can shoot it and say I thought it was dingo. I'm just so relieved to know that I don't have to check before I shoot.

Yep that really is the same!

Sorry but some people are just plain stupid.

Dogs were killing livestock, they got shot as the person had a right to do.

What part of that is so hard to understand?? This person is now feeling awful about killing some dogs that should not have been there.

If my dogs roam and get shot it MY fault and the only person I can be mad at is me. I personally would never forgive myself if my dogs roamed and were, as a consequence, shot. It is MY responsibily to keep my dogs home!

We have had dogs turn up here. Some obviously lost confused and in need of a drink and feed. They get that while we track down their owners. It has happened more than once. I have never had stock worried but I can tell you now if I went outside to see a dog or dogs chasing or worrying my stock they would get shot first adn ask questions later. I live surrounded by a lot of hobby farmers who all having working dogs without a job, quite often they create their own. If it is with my stock the dogs will be shot. I have seen the consequence of peoples pet dogs playing, it was horrific to say the least.

People who say Bigdog has done the wrong thing obviously have no idea what it is like to come across your stock that you have looked after to the best of your ability torn to shreds, in muscle meltdown or dead. Would you like to see ewe with not yet born lambs torn from them??? No? well I have seen it and it is not something I want to see again.

YOUR DOG ROAMS AND GET SHOT IT IS YOUR FAULT - and yes I have raised my voice!

Edited by OSoSwift

Guest bigdogg

Thanks again for your input..

EDIT: Took my latte sipping & NFI comments out..

Edited by bigdogg

i'm a girl off the farm, had a family dog, cute lil bugger he was, a terrier type with a fox-like tail that just stuck straight up in the air, we called him froofie :coffee:

i didn't know dogs back then other than they worked, with my dad cleverly training them and then at night, tethering them to their respective kennels with a bowl full of food and another with water --- they worked all day and slept all night.

but froofie was a free agent, day in day out and to be honest, i do not know how he spent his days and i'm sad about that...

he took to our chickens first and when mum caught him, she took to him with the carcus of his spoils. of course he survived...

one day, we noticed froofie wasn't looking right, walked a bit crookedly and then we found the bullet wound and a neighbour later reported having shot the little shit for attacking his chickens --- thanks to doc pemberton who lived up the road, froofie survived the gunshot but he never walked properly again.

i remember looking on in awe when with my dad we came upon 2 dogs circling one of our milkers --- the cow was near dropping so we happened along in the nick of time. dad pulled the trigger once to distract the dogs and then, in his wisdom, he knew that he'd have a better chance of disposing of both dogs and so took aim because no self-respecting farmer with an ounce of experience would allow such animals to continue roaming...

chickens, eggs, cows, milk, cream, butter, beef, sheep, wool, and at some point, pigs, was what put food on our table, kept us clothed and paid for our education so any threat to that had to be dealt with. everyone understood that because that is how it is.

dad did his best with froofie who lived to a ripe old age in what became the vacant chook pen --- poetic, my mum used to say :) it was a good sized chook pen so froof didn't want for space and once dad retired, he'd put froof in the truck with him when he did his fence checks and neighbourhood runs, which was often :cry:

When we lived in dayboro my Arabian horse was attacked by someones "pet" dogs. They took a massive chunk out of his offside hind leg. I was footed with the vet bill and weeks of medical care. A few weeks after the attack these same dogs were up at my neighbors place and had her cat up a tree. She tried to shoo them away and save her cat but they turned on her and attacked her arm. These dogs had collars on, they were well fed, they were someones pets. We called the ranger to organise traps and the dogs were dealt with.

It's not just wild dogs or dingos that cause harm. Sorry if it offends some ppl but I have no issue with anyone shooting a pet dog if it's on their property.

Yep that really is the same!

Dogs were killing livestock, they got shot as the person had a right to do.

Exactly. Personal morals aside, it does not actually matter whether they were dingos, strays or a pair of champion show dogs.

If you can equate a child hurting an animal with a dog killing stock then I'd be relieved to know you don't possess a firearm.

I felt sick when I read this....sick for you and how you must have felt on the realisation they were pets. But, they were killing, not over to play. Don't let it get to you too much, they would have probably continued to do it. I know if I went walking with my little dog and she was attacked by someone's "pet" roaming around, and I had a weapon, I would definitely use it. My dog is a member of my family and I would protect her with any means I had.

The comment about shooting the child is nonsensical and not even logically connected.

If you can equate a child hurting an animal with a dog killing stock then I'd be relieved to know you don't possess a firearm.

That makes 2 of us :rofl::rofl:

I really think you did the right thing as difficult as it must have been for you