Shih Tzu

Henrietta

Poor little bugger! I bet he'd have rather been playing zoomies in the mud than all ponced up and looking "pretty" at a show...

T.

Oh I don't know about that! All of my Tzu's have loved lying around on their thrones being admired. None of mine would every get their tushies muddy - waaaay too precious. Give them an altar and a slave and they're set.

Hi all,

The Shih Tzu thread in Breeds101 is not very active, so I decided to ask some questions here.

I have heard they are happy little dogs. They are described on the Dogs Online breed page as friendly, independent, intelligent, active and alert. Would that describe your Shih Tzu or Shih Tzu you know? Have had two Shih. Both very alert, intelligent little dogs. Very sturdy. Are they known to be barkers? Mine haven't been huge barkers. The Mini Foxy is way worse than Daniel, the Shih.

Do they have DA tendencies? Daniel is EVERYBODY's friend.

Would they enjoy an moderately active life with daily walks and training (agility, obedience etc)? Mimi, my old Shih used to do flyball. Daniel has been to obedience. Not when the weather is really hot though.

How long do you spend grooming - for pet, not show?Daniel gets shaved off. We have burrs and grass seeds galore, shaving off makes sense.

Any health problems of concern, both common and uncommon?The only thing we have had to contend with was the loss of an eye.

Daniel, and Mimi before him, is very fond of our other animals. He and the goat are best friends, he 'mothers' the chooks. When we had pigs, he was the 'midwife', always on hand at delivery, cleaning up the piglets.

Photos would be lovely too lol.

Thanks!

post-663-1295137608_thumb.jpg

Poor little bugger! I bet he'd have rather been playing zoomies in the mud than all ponced up and looking "pretty" at a show...

T.

Oh I don't know about that! All of my Tzu's have loved lying around on their thrones being admired. None of mine would every get their tushies muddy - waaaay too precious. Give them an altar and a slave and they're set.

ain't that the truth :coffee:

i have only meet ones treated like babies and not dogs and they where nasty evil agressive dogs. and worse if they where cross malitise.

there was not many if any that i would say where nice dogs. buy like i said they where not treat like dogs more like humans

I first fell in love with the Shih Tzu as a breed when I started grooming. There was the most amazing black and white who was the biggest sook in the world, his name was Oscar :rofl:

I got my first Shih Tzu five years ago and will always have one. She has definitely won my heart! I bought her as a show dog and she HATED going to the shows and being cooped up all day. She is as rough and tumble as they come so keeping her in full coat was just not fair on her. She loves going to the beach and will play fetch until my arm aches (although she keeps nudging me to keep playing). She does get hot easily so long walks are out. Daisy is happy inside or out and I never had a problem with toilet training her.

I agree that she has little dog syndrome, she thinks she is 10 feet tall and being brought up with Goldens she thinks she just has shorter legs :rofl:

I have seen ones with skin conditions but if you buy through a reputable breeder you shouldn't have any problems. Daisy is as robust as they come. If they are kept short and their eyes clean their coat is really easy to maintain.

I have three young children and she is great with them. She even puts up with having bows in her hair occasionally. :rofl:

Here is Daisy as a baby.

RIMG0181.jpg

And now

cid_B92CD13E-B711-480F-918A-27C764FC56F2.jpg

016-1.jpg

movieworld013480x640.jpg

Boris the Shih Tzu came to spend Christmas with the people next door. They own a Tibetan Spaniel, Lily.

Boris had just been clipped & looked a very handsome little guy.

Lily is normally a tibbie tragic... only likes other Tibetan Spaniels. When dogs come to visit at her place, she leaves home & comes over to our place.

But she thought Boris was fantastic & turned into his groupie. Her owners said she had the blues for days after Boris went home.

We think that Lily believed the clipped Boris was a fellow Tibetan Spaniel. He sure had many of the characteristics of the little eastern dogs. Great little bloke. :rofl:

By the way, Boris the Shih Tzu picked out a home & family for himself. He used to live next door to his present owners. But he loved their children (who are truly marvellous with animals) and their mum & dad (ditto).

So he kept digging under the side fence to come join them. Every time his escape hatches were blocked, Boris would find another way.

Eventually his original owners came to a deal. Boris so obviously wanted to be part of the family next door, that they handed him over, for keeps. Boris has never tried to go anywhere else ever again. Very happy, he is, with his choice of family.

Edited by mita

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I have a nearly 13 year old female shih tzu - Shelby. Whilst at first meeting - everyone who ever comes to our house prefers my maltese (who loves laps and attention) - Shelby has been very under-rated. She has always been accommodating and will do as she's asked (maltese will only do it if they want to). She's always loved playing - though not so much now. Isn't a real barker - but if she sees something that needs barking at- she has to have the last word! Loves a good walk and enjoys swimming - but not really an outside dog - she's a real lounge lizard. Very food orientated (like very) and does not like to have bones taken away from her. Coat takes more time to groom than a maltese and holds burrs, prickles more. Can get narky about being brushed - particularly if you pull a matt. Likes toys, particularly balls and invents her own games to keep herself amused.

She would never acknowledge a puppy (we've brought two home) and she absolutely refused to have anything to do with them until they were about the same size as she was. Not nasty - just wouldn't acknowledge.

Always needed to be introduced to visitors kids properly - or she would chase them round the house. Once allowed to sniff - she was fine.

Not a real lap dog - as they tend to get too hot very quickly. We've had some allergy (skin) problems and in recent years - arthritis - but they are very stoic - and will keep going regardless - even when they are obviously in pain. Great chewers though - so no teeth problems until recently.

Toilet training was a little more difficult (I think it's a girl thing). I've found girls more challenging to toilet train than boys. Regular as clock-work though - so once the pattern was established - easy to manage.

Overall, I think they have beautiful stable temperaments, love their family, are affectionate and loyal, not demanding and happy to go with the flow. I'd have another one, any day.