What Makes A Dog Attack On Dog/puppy, But Love

Caesars mum

Have you ever seen a dog attack to kill one dog or puppy, but love or ignore all other dogs and puppies.

could it be the breed of the dog, that causes to dog to attack it.

the attack was not provoked. the dog came from out of sight to attack as soon as he realised the dog/puppy was in the yard.

Have you ever seen a dog attack to kill one dog or puppy, but love or ignore all other dogs and puppies.

could it be the breed of the dog, that causes the dog to attack it. NB. Hardly the place for this type of question 'inserted by responder'

the attack was not provoked. the dog came from out of sight to attack as soon as he realised the dog/puppy was in the yard.

Territorial, quite understandable and legal.

Testifies to the need for good management.

Who knows the why or wherefore of every dogs behaviour.?

Edited by pewithers

My thoughts...

there are lots of reasons.. all sorts of circumstances, but the short ,general answer is - Yes.

Dogs are not robots.. they can react to each animal individually..and for many reasons.

Dogs can also show extreme aggression if another dog is in their territory ...

If it was a puppy attacked.. that's unusual.. but without knowing the circumstances it is hard to make a judgement as to the 'whys'

Was it your dog who was attacked?

I hope it's OK.

My thoughts...

there are lots of reasons.. all sorts of circumstances, but the short ,general answer is - Yes.

Dogs are not robots.. they can react to each animal individually..and for many reasons.

Dogs can also show extreme aggression if another dog is in their territory ...

If it was a puppy attacked.. that's unusual.. but without knowing the circumstances it is hard to make a judgement as to the 'whys'

Was it your dog who was attacked?

I hope it's OK.

it was a 16 week old puppy that was atacked by an older dog that has never had a problem with any other dog entering the yard. Also he had spent the day with another puppy of similar age but different breed.

more just interested in how others have dealt with this sort of thing or if it is common for a dog to take an instant dislike to just 1 dog.

My dad has a tibbie X pom bitch who can not be around either of my two bitches. She attacks them with such ferocity to actually kill. She jumped and ripped my toy poodle bitch from my arms and tore her ears up, she wouldve killed her had I not intervened. But she can be with my two male dogs with no issues. My dad also has three other bitches all who she is fine with. Very strange that she would target my girls, especially since one is a cattledog.

I've got no time for this dog, it's a nasty piece of work. My girls can be walking along doing absolutely nothing wrong and she will stalk them then attack. Weird bloody dog.

it was a 16 week old puppy that was atacked by an older dog that has never had a problem with any other dog entering the yard. Also he had spent the day with another puppy of similar age but different breed.

more just interested in how others have dealt with this sort of thing or if it is common for a dog to take an instant dislike to just 1 dog.

Case in point.

We cannot make generalisations about dogs, because they only apply 99.9% of the time.

There is always that 0.1% when they make a fool of us.

What that means is we have to manage the dogs 100% of the time for that 0.1% occurrence.

After six years, my 'pussycat' bitch and 'mellow' dog are still giving me surprises!

Edited by pewithers

I used to show an Afghan dog who at about 2 years of age decided he didn't like Samoyeds. Frightened the life out of me (and the friend with the Sammy) the first time he thought he'd have a piece of the Sammy. From then on any time he saw a Sammy he was ready to have a go (never got the chance though). There had never been any incident to start this behaviour.

Yes. My old Dobe (RIP) hated our new Bull Terrier pup from day dot. As soon as this tiny puppy was brought into the house/yard the Dobe would growl and snap if the BT pup approached him. He didn't go out of his way to attack the pup but didn't want it anywhere near him. The Dobe was absolutely fine with all our other dogs (before and after that BT pup) but never with him.

Same Dobe hated Rotti's and SBT's. Even the bitches which was unusual for him. It wasn't a male thing, his best mate at Flyball was a male Kelpie X and he was facinated by the Mal's at Obedience training and loved to play with them.

I guess like us, they can't like all other dogs, I certainly don't like every person I meet. :rofl:

My old staffy was an outcast at training because he could be DA with some dogs, mailny bigger ones like GSDs, rottis, labs.. he would always be ok with puppies but wuold push them around.

Funnily enough one of his only friends at training was another DA dog that was forced to sit with us becasue we couldn't play with the other dogs!

Our dog yesterday seen a 10 week old staffy cross, wanted to play with him but due to lack of full needles etc.. it didn't happen but that would've been the first little puppy he's seen.

I guess we don't always know what they're thinking!

thanks guys, I jsut could not understand this behaviour from this dog. He is a sweet goof who loves everyone and just wants to play. well he wont get another chance to play with the puppy, which is a shame becaue he is a noce dog, a bit full on for my liking but a lovely puppy.

It can be many factors.

There is a young GSD in my local park - plays with the majority of dogs perfectly fine without any issues however if he sees my dog he attacks and will fly across the park (which is large) to do it.

Interestingly he attacked another dog of the same breed as me just recently and I wondered if it was based on size but he happily plays with another dog of the same breed as me (there are only 3 of my breed who use the park).

Personally I just think it is an a%^(hole of a dog who's issues have been caused or amplified by its idiot owners i.e. the dog does not recall - easy to see why. Saw them recall it once and when it finally went to them it got hit in the head several times :confused: