Have You Ever Disliked Or Hated A Dog?

Danielle

I have disliked a dog. I looked after a dog for a new client that I had been recommended to by another client.

The owners told me not to leave anything on the ground as the dog chewed. So I left all my stuff up high and (so I thought) out of the way from the dog. I went into my "room" one afternoon to read and the dog was very quiet. I decided to go out and check on him. Then I realised the dog had jumped up on the table and completely obliterated my most favourite pair of shoes in the world. I was so upset I cried.

A few months after that, I was just casually looking through eBay and I saw the exact pair of shoes, inmy size, so I bought them.

I am very happy I found the same shoes, but I am still a bit upset about what happened, even though it was 6 months ago.

I haven't looked after that dog since.

:crossfingers:

Edited by Cody

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is a new thing I'd give her a break. :laugh:

She's senior, and very unwell.

Cushings can change personalities before or during treatment. While most of the lit talks about physical changes, it's still basically out of control adrenalin and cortisol i.e.stress response. Has she begun treatment?

Normal levels of corticosteroid are necessary for proper brain function. In humans, excess levels are associated with mood swings and loss of acuity. This probably occurs in our pets as well.

source

I have only ever 'hated' one dog, it was a dog that lived down the street from me when I was about 13 years old, and one day when I was taking my dog for a walk on a leash, it ran up the street and mauled my dog to death in front of me :laugh: This made me really dislike the breed of dog it was.

I hated the owners more though.

Edited by tommygirl

Oh gosh :laugh: that's awful tommygirl.

Yes, it started a big falling out in our street, as the owner was a general A-hole, he got an order from the council to only walk the dog on leash and muzzled...so he would walk it on leash (no muzzle) and then when he got out front of our house would stop and take the leash off! Such a horrid person!

In your case tommygirl it definitely sounds like a case of the owner being the one who should be disliked!

I thought I could find a positive in all dogs until I met a maltese cross shih tzu who I really just couldn't stand. Not his fault but he was treated like a baby and he acted like a spoilt brat as well as urinating on everything and humping any leg that he was closest to. Really could find nothing cute or nice about this dog :laugh:

If this is a new thing I'd give her a break. :)

She's senior, and very unwell.

Cushings can change personalities before or during treatment. While most of the lit talks about physical changes, it's still basically out of control adrenalin and cortisol i.e.stress response. Has she begun treatment?

Normal levels of corticosteroid are necessary for proper brain function. In humans, excess levels are associated with mood swings and loss of acuity. This probably occurs in our pets as well.

source

Yes she has done treatment. From what they tell me her levels are back down to an acceptable level and they have dropped the meds a bit. I really do feel like crap for disliking this dog, after all she has been in everyones lives for many years and up until now has always been a very sweet dog. You could not find one nicer, she was adorable to the max. But I'm very protective of my pack as is everyone and now especially my old girl whos health is failing. My old girl has been sick for about 18 months but is still hanging on, she has good days and bad, in fact I was sure I would have to get her pts last week but she managed to pull through again. She is so delicate right now and I refuse to have anyone upset her, be it dog or human. She is treated like gold and is the most important thing in our home right now. So yeah I spose the love and protection I feel for her has far outweighed any kindness I ever felt for dads dog. Also the fact he won't step up and do anything about it makes me feel upset and I've wrongly aimed it at the dog.

I keep my bunch away from her now and will continue to do so to avoid any issues that may arise. I'll try my best to let go of these feelings towards the dog and try to get that old kinship back with her if I can. Doesn't help when he gives me crap about owning pedigrees and spouts the old crap about hybrid vigour and crosses being better etc. I think I have to learn to ignore him and let it go in one ear and out the other. He is one of those types that love to stir the pot and he can't see how much it gets to me....actually I think he can and that's why he keeps doing it. I love the old bugger but he is one hell of a belligerent and stubborn old bastard who won't take advice from anyone. I think this is really the root cause of my problems with his dogs. It's frustrating to say the least. :laugh:

Just hope me and his dog can get back on track, I really am not enjoying feeling this way about a dog, I've never felt this way about a pooch in my life, and I work with dogs so I see them everyday. I've gotta resolve this soon. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. :rofl: