Have You Ever Disliked Or Hated A Dog?

Danielle

Yep, I work at a kennels so see lots of dogs, and some come in that I dislike. I just get the other staff to deal with them if they are really annoying me, otherwise I just deal with it and treat them like any other of the dogs.

I dislike dogs that constantly jump on me or yap in my ear with horrid high-pitched barks. There have not been many terriers that I've liked- can't stand the barking/biting/aggro to other dogs that most of the terriers I see at kennels display. (I can think of a couple of cairns I LOVE, and a kerry blue and Airdales..oh and of course staffords and amstaffs)

Funnily enough I tend to like the growly/aggro dogs that come in- because most of them are just scared and they are a challenge to gain their trust- and I'm generally the only person that will go near these dogs. I like to see the transformation in their behaviour after afew days.

Edited by boxagirl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope & i would never hate an elderly dog that use to be special.

This exact behaviour could happen to any one of our elder dogs just like humans can go from lovely people to elderly nightmares.Isn't there fault & a sad part of getting old .

I have had elderly dogs that needs & natures have changed dramatically but i could never no longer love them given they have loved me no matter what.

We simply make allowances & not place them in a position that could be harmful,no big deal.

Are there dogs that can be annoying yes ,are there dogs that drive you nuts yes but do i hate them no

Yes. I don't like OH's parents' Min Pin. I feel sorry for him sometimes, but he is needy, excessively nervous, chronically anxious, he is unpleasant to have on your lap where he thinks he should always be, he whines a lot and in the car he yips and whines in near hysterics and it seriously never ends. We took him for a 2 hour drive one time thinking he would surely calm down sooner or later, but no. He didn't. Barked the whole way. We were like, what if we ever have a dog that turns out to be like Alex??

I met a dog at the shelter last week that I just do not like. He has the attention span of a flea and he chases his tail a lot and chews his leg and licks his paws and every little sound grabs his full attention. I swear he must have some kind of anxiety disorder. I can't bring myself to see past it.

And there was that 3-legged Boxer that lived a few doors down from my parents. It could jump a 6 foot fence and if it caught you near its house it would run out and chase you. It was fast, it would catch you, and then it would jump on you and bite you. It never did anyone any damage, but scared the crap out of me. Can't like a dog that puts the fear in you.

I really dont like my partners gsd! She has caused so many problems and really if she was my dog she would have been put down a long time ago. She is only just starting to grow on my and she is 3 this year. My housemates beagle is a close 2nd for another dog I hate because of him I would never get a beagle! He barks all the time for nothing, chews everything in sight and cant be trusted around anything. really really dislike that dog!

JessM- Im the same as you..the beagle i dont like would have been a great dog in the right hands but the owner has wrecked it and its a little shithead!

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

I presently have a love/hate relationship with a second dog I took on, when he was 2 years old. This was exactly one year ago. It has been a daily battle of wits, my blood pressure sky high and recently I've been reduced to tears of frustration. He is the complete opposite of all descriptions of the breed. :confused:

I can't say I hate any dog, but I do dislike & am a little bit fearful of my Inlaws Rotti bitch. She can be very nasty, growls at everyone except my Inlaws that dare try to pat her. Sometimes when we visit she will come up to you & greet you & even lick your hand, but if you put one hand on her she will start growling. I really dont trust her & its probably just been luck she hasn't seriously attacked someone.

My Inlaws got her of a family when she was 12 months old, so I'm not to sure how she was treated in her first year, but she has always been quite a nervous dog & started showing this agressive behaviour straight a way.

My Inlaws have never got her asessed by a behaviourist or got her desexed either which doesn't help :confused: She seems to have a false pregnancy every season, (takes all her soft toys into her kennel & treats them like puppies) If anyone trys to touch one of the toys she will growl & snap.

I do feel sorry for her in way she really seems messed up & maybe she was mistreated when she was a pup, but I still don't like her or trust her. :confused:

My inlaws love her though & she loves them, & they are atleast responsible enough to put her in a secure dog run when they can't supervise her or when they have visitors.

I can't say I dislike whole breeds because every dog is different, & there is good & bad dogs in every breed.

Edited by Baileys mum

I also until very recently have been a trainer in kennels and as such have met thousands and thousands of dogs of every breed and cross breed imaginable.

There have been plenty of dogs that I have really disliked and been happy to see them go! I probably wouldn't say hate though. There is one welsh terrier that I really do hate, and a few lakelands that have grated me really badly, so i'm not really a huge fan of either breed, but i'm sure there are plenty of lovely ones around to change my mind.

Yes!

Reading this thread has made me sit down and think seriously about this...was it the dog or the owner? Mostly the owner, in retrospect, but in 2 cases I can honestly say BOTH!! :confused: Interestingly, all the dogs I have "disliked" (hate is probably too strong!) are little dogs with very bad attitudes. Min Pins, Chis, Maltese Xs and JRTs. Without exception they are yappy, bitey, obnoxious and in 2 cases smelly as well! All of them "could have been nice dogs but...."

Yes, I boarded with a family that had an out of control Pom'. He was aggressive to his own human family, barked incessantly, urinated on everything, jumped on the table frequently to grab things off your plate. Wasn't Peppe's fault entirely , he was given the job of being the brains of the outfit and was one stressed out dog. It did, however, take me by surprise that I could really dislike a dog (obnoxious coupled with neverending yapping tipped me over the edge I think.....) as I think most have redeeming features of some sort.

Edited by gwenneth1

Yes

My sister in law has a 7 month old shih tzu and not only does he drive her crazy, he makes me thankful I don't own him.

He is the biggest pain the ass you will ever come across, he is the dumbest dog alive to put it NICELY.

Nothing ever sinks in, you can't teach this dog anything apart from sit

He pees inside their house and he's 7 months old

He eats the cat food no matter how many times he gets told off

He is just completely thick!

Believe it or not, she has had a pro trainer come to her home to help with this dog, he gave up after 4 days..

That tells you something.

She also owns a Rotti who is perfectly trained and behaved.

This dog is beyond help :)

I refuse to have him in my house anymore. Just looking at him, gives me the shits :)

i get more frustrated with certain dogs then any one breed that play up constantly, more so the owners's of the dog for not training it for what ever reason, but there is one dog in particular that pushes my buttons and it is deaf!

the mum thinks because it is deaf we aren't allowed to grab its collar when it wants to eat another dog which she calls "playing"..

Drives me nuts she even cried one when i grabed her dogs collar stupid cow your dog is deaf so disabled grrr or mentally challenged!

I really don't like my in-laws GR. I was incredibly glad that when OH and I bought this place that they didn't try and give her to us. She's well behaved, but for some reason I just can't stand her. She's not my type of dog for starters (personality wise) but there isn't really a good reason for it. She has been aggressive toward Kyojin over food/water, but I didn't like her before this. I think also the fact that she always smells and sheds a lot probably doesn't help her case either :) :)

The majority of dogs we get in at work are PITA's. It is however a vet clinic so not exactly a relaxing environment for them. I'm sure most of them are nice dogs in their own homes or with their owners.

NOISY, messy, anxious, often aggressive, difficult to restrain.

Their behaviour really does depend on the owners though. Some don't/won't walk on lead, others need some major restraining just to be examined, fear biters and some so aggressive they are handled with a dog pole, others that will pee on you if you stand still for 2 seconds.

I don't treat these dogs any differently in terms of level of care, but I will admit to giving a lovely calm, friendly quiet dog extra attention (ie pats and cuddles). The others just sh*t me to tears and I can't wait until the shift is over or the dog is discharged.

:)

I didn't like one of my dogs until she was about 2.5 years old. I put a lot of time and effort into helping her and now we are inseperable. She had so many issues like biting on the face, etc.

I can't believe people will just give up and rehome their dog because it doesn't "fit". Would you do the same to a child? Some dogs just need a consistent home and rules.

If you can't cater to a certain breed then you shouldn't get it in the first place.

I didn't like one of my dogs until she was about 2.5 years old. I put a lot of time and effort into helping her and now we are inseperable. She had so many issues like biting on the face, etc.

I can't believe people will just give up and rehome their dog because it doesn't "fit". Would you do the same to a child? Some dogs just need a consistent home and rules.

If you can't cater to a certain breed then you shouldn't get it in the first place.

In some cases the dog gets a much better home with someone they actually bond with rather than just staying with the original owner for the sake of it and never being bonded.

Some re-homings can actually be a good thing for a dog.