I Guess This Was My Fault....

Michelleva

First (and last) time I got bitten by a dog was a little terrier thing that "looked friendly". It wasn't. I am overly careful, now. :)

What's a little terrier thing?

A small dog that resembles a terrier. Probably of mixed and dubious origins.

Do mini schnauzers come under that category lol? The are terriers.

Does it really matter? :)

First (and last) time I got bitten by a dog was a little terrier thing that "looked friendly". It wasn't. I am overly careful, now. :)

What's a little terrier thing?

A small dog that resembles a terrier. Probably of mixed and dubious origins.

Do mini schnauzers come under that category lol? The are terriers.

Does it really matter? :)

no : smile

On a recent vet visit there were two other doggy patients waiting to be seen. One was a rotty and the other a chi. Have a guess which one was the aggressive one who growled and caused uneasinerss duroing the waiting time?

You would be agressive too if you had a giant standing near by. :coffee:

Michelleva you should have bit the owners for not teaching that dog some manners. Yeah I have three Chi's and I consider my dogs trained.

I've come to the conclusion that Chi's don't like being called Pepe... every one that has ever gone for me has been called Pepe... *grin*

T.

:) A relative bought herself a Chi a few years back, the first time I went to pat it, it nearly took my arm off, it was about 10 weeks old :coffee: If I come across one I think how cute but no way would I try and pat it. I also have a little terrier "thing" :cry: she actually resembles a meerkat so "thing" is quite an accurate description, anyway, if she sees a human she will drag me towards them but it's only to say a friendly hello and try and worm a pat out of the stranger if they are so inclined. People do ask me if she bites before they touch though. Small terrier "things" have an impressive reputation :mad

On a recent vet visit there were two other doggy patients waiting to be seen. One was a rotty and the other a chi. Have a guess which one was the aggressive one who growled and caused uneasinerss duroing the waiting time?

You would be agressive too if you had a giant standing near by. :coffee:

Michelleva you should have bit the owners for not teaching that dog some manners. Yeah I have three Chi's and I consider my dogs trained.

Just having a giant as you say standing next to you doesn't have to bring out aggression. You yourself stated that you have 3 chi's and you consider them trained. Good on you. Unfortunately, there are some owners of chi's who let their little darlings get away with almost anything, just because they are small. Personally, I would feel safer with a larger well socialized dog than a smaller cosseted breed. By the way, the rotty at the vet clinic was not bothering or being a threat to the chi. He interacted beautifully with my miniature schnauzer.

Management at RSPCA ACT tell a story that the only ever dog attack upon their staff and within their shelter that required hospitalisation of the victim was from a Chi. I think tiny dogs can have their own issues, but have little doubt that they would often be issues they got from their owners or other people.

I love Chi's .....when I'm done having skin babies and they are old enough to know how to be gentle with little dogs, I would love to have one :rofl:

I met an adorable Chi today... his name was Buddy, and he was tiny - just under 1kg at 2 years old. He was quite happy to be handled by everyone, and gave the best kisses!

I was a silly today and put my finger too close to a 10 week old puppy eating a chicken wing - well, actually I was trying to take it off her to take her to have her bath. I have a nice little rip in my finger now - and it hurt lots! Note - she didn't bite me - just that as I tried to prise her mouth open and take the chicken wing, she decided to bite down harder on it...

T.

I don't think it was your fault at all. The owner should warn people that their dog could potentially bite. Then again maybe it would of been best to ask if you could pat.

I trust my dogs won't bite but I hate how kids just come up & pat them. Parents should be teaching their kids to ask the owners if the dog is okay to pat!

If it is any consolation I also have been bit by a chihuahua, only I did ask the owner if it was safe to pat. He had the chihuahua in his arms at the time & told me that his dogs was friendly & likes to be held. When he went to hand the dog to me, it went for me, bit my nose & drew blood. Turns out the dog maybe doesn't like being hauled of to strangers - lol.

At least you presented a closed fist to the dog to sniff first. :laugh: Otherwise you might have lost a finger :)

My son was in 4yo kinda last year and they had a dog education program run in their class, it was done by the council to prevent dog bites. They taught the kids to present a closed fist first, so the dog could sniff it. So I practiced what I learnt that day.

I didn't ask if I could pet the dog, but she walked up to me, so inviting me to pet them. I know if my hand wasn't a closed fist it could have got a better bite on me.

But lesson learnt. And Sas, I don't feel foolish at all, I feel the dog owner was in the wrong for not telling me that her dogs are not good with other people and will bite. She never even apologised after the fact.

I have patted and done a body condition check on a Rottweiler than growled and curled its lip at another person who went to touch the dog after me.

He came in fast, got close to the dog directly in front of it, bent over the top of it, looked directly into the dog's eyes and went to pat it on the top of its head.

I came in from the side, spoke to the dog, offered the back of my hand and then rubbed it on the chest before touching it elsewhere.

Same dog, two different approaches. Crowding, direct eye contact and top of head pats are not the way to go on some dogs.

Tiny dogs can be defensive out of sheer self protection. I'd be saving my derogatory comments for the owners who should have known better.

At least you presented a closed fist to the dog to sniff first. :laugh: Otherwise you might have lost a finger :eek:

My son was in 4yo kinda last year and they had a dog education program run in their class, it was done by the council to prevent dog bites. They taught the kids to present a closed fist first, so the dog could sniff it. So I practiced what I learnt that day.

I didn't ask if I could pet the dog, but she walked up to me, so inviting me to pet them. I know if my hand wasn't a closed fist it could have got a better bite on me.

But lesson learnt. And Sas, I don't feel foolish at all, I feel the dog owner was in the wrong for not telling me that her dogs are not good with other people and will bite. She never even apologised after the fact.

I didn't realise you hadn't asked the owner. I don't think you can blame the owner if you've patted their dog without asking them first.

I'd be pretty annoyed if someone patted any of mine without asking. (Because I'm very protective of them, rather than worried they might bite).

Did the owner say "would you like to pat my dogs?" or you just assumed she wanted you to because she walked them near you?

In my experience, many dogs are fine to be walked near other people/strangers, but try and pat them and they may become fearful and bite.