Boy Attacked By Bullmastiff.

Freshstart16

Some of the comments underneath this story on PerthNow make me ashamed I have to share a city with them.

A YOUNG boy has sustained serious facial injuries after being attacked by a dog at a Spearwood shopping centre.

The boy, believed to be aged about 12, was mauled by the Bullmastiff, which was tied up outside the Phoenix Park shopping centre at 2.30pm.

Police were called to the scene before City of Cockburn rangers moved in and seized the animal.

The dog has been relinquished by its owner to council rangers and will be put down tomorrow.

Rangers are now putting a case together against the pet owner.

A council spokeswoman confirmed the young boy received a single bite to one of his lower cheeks.

She also said the dog was tied up at the shopping centre and the boy had either walked past or approached the animal.

The boy has been rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

Link: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-au...u-1225991312741

Edited by Destroya

You take a risk tying your dog to a post outside shops.

It is also an offence to leave the dog unattended.

The twelve year old may have teased, mistreated, attacked or provoked the dog, in which case it is not an offense if the dog 'attacks'.

If that's the case, t it will be virtually impossible to prove without a witness.

Anyway, without the owner there, they've neglected to maintain control of the dog.

post-3970-1295456603_thumb.jpg

A council spokeswoman confirmed the young boy received a single bite to one of his lower cheeks.

Does this mean he was bitten on the butt??

Sorry, not funny for the boy, his parents, the dog and it's owners but this was just such an odd turn of phrase

WHEN will people learn not to jeopardise their dogs in this way. Hasn't it been filthy hot in Perth lately - too hot for dogs to be tied up outside shops anyway?

Poor boy, poor dog. :)

Two 'Bull mastiff's attacked a woman in her garden up the road here a few months ago. Everyone media report confirmed the dogs as Bull mastiffs but turns out the dogs were tan cross breeds. I would be interested to actually see a photo of this dog, the one on the story seems to be a general archive photo? I'd also love to know the stats of dog bites, how many are pedigree dogs.... I'm sure they bite - but less likely IMO.

Who names a city 'Cockburn'? :)

It's pronounced Cohburn Dru :)

Any one who leave their dogs tied up outside shopping centres? Read this thread - both dog and owner paid high price for the practice.

Any parent who doesn't teach kids NOT to approach unattended dogs - teach them NOW. I know 12 year olds aren't the best for adhering to parental rules but the risk should be conveyed.

1. Dog shouldn't have been tied up outside, think we all know that, that's just unfair just leave the dog at home like normal people do if your going shopping.

2. The kid would of had to approach the dog no question in my mind he only walked past and got attacked. Then again his 12 years old, I might understand if it's a child under 9 or something but not a 12 year old.

Very sad for the boy and the dog.

It's such an awful situation and I can only guess what might have happened. I have to admit I often get very worried about how people approach strange dogs. Adults and children alike frequently pat our two when we're out without asking first. Our two aren't aggressive at all so having a strange hand stuck in their face doesn't faze them but I can't help thinking that it's a very dangerous practice because you just don't know how the dog will react. I don't anyone (child or adult) has ever said: "Is it ok to pat him?" before patting one of our dogs ...

My God, some of those comments.... :):)

Give the poor dog a chance. Find out exactly what happened, temp test the dog, don't just PTS as the first reaction.

I have never heard of bullmastiffs as a breed being scary and dangerous...quite the opposite in fact.

And like the comments of some readers on the page, no investigation at all whatsoever, just put down the dog. I know a dog biting a human isn't a good thing but no one really knows the circumstances if the kid taunted it or something.

I'd like the know how long the dog was there for before this incident happened.

It still amazes me it always seems to be kids who are getting bitten.

Edited by Adza

Who names a city 'Cockburn'? :laugh:

It's pronounced Cohburn Dru :rofl:

:) Thank god for that!

There is a stately Scottish Jacobite song, called "Cock Up Your Beaver" :rofl::laugh: :laugh:

Arranged by Turlough O'Carolan.

Who names their child Turlough? :thumbsup:

Of all the attacks claimed to be made by Bullmastiffs we are yet to see any from a pure bred bullmastiff all have been cross bred or dont even have bullmastiff in them at all.

The photos in the on line article are not of the dog and I have heard that the photos on the news of the dog do not show a bullmastiff but more a Mastiff cross of some sort.

Yet again responsible bullmastiff owners and breeders are dealing with the Media's misrepresentation of the facts in order to sell a story based on sensationalism and lies all at the cost of yet another innocent breed. Just because it has the word "Bull" in it does not make it dangerous.

How about the media start reporting the truth for a change - I'm getting tired of my breed being blamed for something they didnt do.

Does this mean he was bitten on the butt??

Sorry, not funny for the boy, his parents, the dog and it's owners but this was just such an odd turn of phrase

WHEN will people learn not to jeopardise their dogs in this way. Hasn't it been filthy hot in Perth lately - too hot for dogs to be tied up outside shops anyway?

Poor boy, poor dog. :D

Yes , temps have been hitting 40 degrees here .......they shouldn't have even had the dog out in this heat let alone tied up outside a shopping centre :thumbsup:

Who names a city 'Cockburn'? :D

:thumbsup: Unfortunately I live in this City/Shire. It is pronouce Cohburn, as mentioned :rolleyes:

1. Dog shouldn't have been tied up outside, think we all know that, that's just unfair just leave the dog at home like normal people do if your going shopping.

2. The kid would of had to approach the dog no question in my mind he only walked past and got attacked. Then again his 12 years old, I might understand if it's a child under 9 or something but not a 12 year old.

Very sad for the boy and the dog.

I agree entirely with this, my thoughts exactly !! I want to know what the boy did? He had to of got close or did something, even showing fear could provoke an anxious dog.

Temps havent been too hot here:

post-29359-1295504581_thumb.jpg

Would love to read the whole story if someone has it???, this is happening all too often with kids being bitten even by family pets all too common, i think some parents need to be educated as well as children no matter the age.

:D

i must admit i tie my dogs up when i walk down to the shops but,

It is less then a few minutes unsupervised to get a loaf or bread or drop off a dvd as locate right outside.

they are tied up away from any people/children entering the shops or walking past so out of range from stupid kids.

i wouldn't tie any dog up if it wasn't friendly so many risks involved.

I can't understand how people can leave their dogs tied up and unattended while they go about their business. There is no way I would leave either of my two in those sort of situations for several reasons. I wouldn't know if anyone out there could be mistreating them in any way. I wouldn't know if they were being a pest to any pedestrians. Not that they cause any problems when they are with me, and then there is the thought in the back of my mind that anyone, so inclined, could very quickly untie them and walk away with them. Some kids are naturally drawn animals and therein lies the danger. The dog in question may have been fretting for his owner and therefore in an anxious state and along comes this child 'guilty' or not and has his cheek bitten. Now, because of the irresponsibility of the owner, the dog could be put down.