Venting

Loraine

I would be worried someone would take my dog.........

Very sad for both dog, kid and owner. And I am sure the mother is now feeling guilty.

I had a child hug my young newfie, whilst I was with her and talking to someone about my other newf.at Paws in the Park, it was only a split second. I was there, talking and next i see a kid hanging off my dog. Katy thought it was wonderful and gave her a huge slobbery kiss, but with the wrong dog........... The Mum and Dad were with her. I explained they should be more careful, they just smled and said she loves dogs, we have two GSD's at home.

How do we know, this isn't the first time the dog showed such behaviour? Maybe the dog just randomly snapped. We just don't know.

I don't blame the owner based on the facts presented. The only thing that can be said with any certainty, is that the mother was wrong in letting her child near the dog.

You have no issues with an owner tying their dog up outside in a public space on a 35 degree day for 4 hours without water?

How do we know, this isn't the first time the dog showed such behaviour? Maybe the dog just randomly snapped. We just don't know.

I don't blame the owner based on the facts presented. The only thing that can be said with any certainty, is that the mother was wrong in letting her child near the dog.

You have no issues with an owner tying their dog up outside in a public space on a 35 degree day for 4 hours without water?

Perhaps the owner should also be charged with neglect for leaving his dog in the heat without water. This of course doesn't excuse what happened, and now because of this irresponsible owner's inaction a child has been mauled and a dog will most likely be put to sleep. License the owners, not the animals and make them sit a test on animal care, training etc.

I would be worried someone would take my dog.........

Very sad for both dog, kid and owner. And I am sure the mother is now feeling guilty.

I had a child hug my young newfie, whilst I was with her and talking to someone about my other newf.at Paws in the Park, it was only a split second. I was there, talking and next i see a kid hanging off my dog. Katy thought it was wonderful and gave her a huge slobbery kiss, but with the wrong dog........... The Mum and Dad were with her. I explained they should be more careful, they just smled and said she loves dogs, we have two GSD's at home.

Me too.

That, and, there are a lot of crazies out there.

The owner is an idiot, we all agree, but who ever was supervising the kid is to blame as well. What fool lets their child approach a strange dog? I don't understand why people think that's okay :confused:

One that thinks that if a dog is tied up outside a major shopping centre that it must be friendly enough to approach.

Not saying it was OK for the mother of the boy to let him approach the dog, but I could understand what someone might think in that situation. You certainly don't expect a dangerous dog to be tied up in a public place!

The owners of the dog were/are totally ignorant and from what I have heard, they are remorseful and have apologised to the boy.

They are also being charged. Unfortunately sometimes this is what it takes to educate people. Sad, so sad.

Idiots on the part of the mother AND the owner. Children should never be allowed to pet a dog they don't know, the dog shouldn't have been tied in a public place (especially if it was indeed for 4 hours :thumbsup:: ).

One of mine would shred a kid if he was touched in public...that is why he is NOT left where such a thing could happen! I even avoid the sidewalk and parks for that reason. The irresponsibility of some parents...

Clearly, I was talking about the attack part. :)

The attack occurred as a result of the owners actions and treatment of their dog.

Nonsense. That cannot be ascertained from the facts, that's just your theory.

There could be a plethora of reasons as to why the dog attacked. So I stick by what I originally said,

based on the facts presented thus far, it is difficult to blame the owner beyond reasonable doubt.

No worries, you're entitled to your opinion of course. :love:

IMO a dog shouldn't be tied up in a public space for any length of time without it's owner, let alone for 4 hours. Also if you aren't with the dog you don't have effective control over it, therefore, things like this can occur. Yes, they can occur even if you're with the dog but at least you'd be there to intervene.

Edited by moosepup