Shilo Is Seriously Sick. Last Update.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an owner of a pup (now 19 months old) who was diagnosed, by symptoms, with steriod responsive meningitis (SRMA) in December 2009 - at 6 months old. To my knowledge the only test that can be done to give you a reasonably definitive diagnosis involves a spinal tap. Unfortunately this is a very expensive procedure here in NZ and you cannot do this once steriods have been taken. Flynn had an extremely high temp and was shivering ... the vet where were holidaying gave antibiotics as he wasn't sure what was going on. Back at home we noticed that he had a stiff neck and couldn't drink from his water bowl nor wanted to put his head down to eat. I lifted his bowl for him and he would eat and drink. He yelped when we lifted him up and he looked like a total zombie. Three or four days of not really knowing what was going on, and a pup that looked to be at deaths door, the vet suggested we just threw steriods at it. Flynn started prednisone on a dose of just over 3mg/kg ... within 24 hours we saw a huge turn around! We had further complications 5 weeks later ... he got a gastric ulcer which started to bleed (due to the high doses of pred) ... then also diagnosed with IMHA!!! We then added in azathioprine as the prednisone alone was not holding his PCV.

Flynn is still on meds today - as we have done it slowly not wanting to rock the boat with going on holidays as we did not want a relapse whilst we were away. He is completely off his prednisone but is on azathioprine every other day. We will be weaning him off the azathioprine soon and crossing our fingers for no relapses.

It may not be SRMA but I thought I would post my experience so that you could rule it out or go ... that sounds similar.

Other immune-mediated diseases also respond to steriods as well. From research and the forums (I am not a vet ) - that I am on generally doses of prednisone have to be as high as 2-4mg/kg per day to be an effective treatment regime.

I hope that you can find out what is wrong with Shilo. :laugh:

Edited by Red Dog NZ

Just an update for anyone interested, Shilo has again improved she is no where near 100% but is now eating and drinking and her temp has come down. I think steroid responsive meningitis could definately be what we are dealing with nothing else makes sense. She has been put on to 40mg of cortisone and she now weighs 23kg,we weighed her yesterday and she has lost 3kg in a week.

Red Dog NZ has your dogs activity levels gone back to normal? What were they like before the ilness was diagnosed?

Shilo has always been a dog that would tire quickly and I am wondering if there is an underlying cause we are missing, after speaking to a few afghan people this is not normal.

Flynn was a "usual" Vizsla pup before diagnosis. He went downhill one day so quickly .... the day before playing at the beach then very quiet the next day, then he started shivering and I felt him and he was SO hot. He turned around with the high doses of pred but I would say that he still had that zombie look. Three weeks later he was still really lethargic, then another two weeks later we mentioned this to the vet ( as we had both thought previously it was the high doses of pred) and his gums were white. I would find out what the vets plan of attack is and if Shiloh is going to be on high doses of pred for some time I would see if the vet would be ok with adding a gastroprotectant. We used zantac ... just bought from the pharmacy but was given the dose from the vet. Generally the dog is on a tapering dose over a period of a minimum of 6 months and a lot of dogs take over a year.

It took many months before Flynn was back to his normal self ... more likely due to the IMHA (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia) than the SRMA. Today you would not belive that he was still on meds. Underlying causes are to my knowledge, with what I have read, quite hard to determine. Generally there is a trigger which can set the SRMA off. Some believe vaccinations may be a factor as well.

Edited by Red Dog NZ

My dog Holly has been diagnosed with a probable case of GME - similar symptoms to the SRMA. She is still taking pred - down to 10mg per day and we will be dropping it to 5 mg per day this week. She was in a really bad way and after 3 visits to the vet I thought the next time I took her I wouldn't be bringing her home. However, she has had a massive turn around with the pred and is virtually back to normal, however, it is a waiting game dropping the dosage - she could relapse and the long term prognosis is not good. You can see her story here.

I hope little Shiloh is better soon and it's not too serious. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

Edited by leighw

Another update: Shilo is not doing well, we think there may be a brain tumour causing meningitis symptoms, we are giving her until Friday and if there is no improvement we will likely PTS.

I can't get my head around how she was perfectly happy one day and then so sick the next, I wish I could work miracles and get her back to her goofy old self.

Oh dear NicoleL,

That is awful....

Unfortunately brain tumours sneak up with no or little symptoms until it's too late...I do sincerley hope this isn't the cause of Shilo's illness

Praying to the doggie spirits for Shilo

when will you know if there is a tumour?

:eek:

edited for spelling

Edited by missmoo

Final update: Shilo went downhill too much last night, I took her into work and she was PTS this morning. I was able to hold her and say goodbye.

Everywhere I turn there is reminders of her, even with three other dogs in the house it seems too quiet.

Thankyou for all the advice and thoughts.