Blood In Puppies Stool. Closed Thread

byott

hello.

could someone please help. Puppy 9 weeks old. Picked puppy up Monday.from wysiwygkennels . have emailed my breeder but she has not got back to me yesterday he had a little blood in his stool. Next stool fine. then this morning found a little more blood. he s soppose to have been up to date wth worming .

Thank you byott

Edited by byott

I agree byott, I would be straight to the vet, are his stools firm or runny? Chief had hookorm when I bought him & he had blood in his stool! So it was a transfusion & hospital stays for him... Najor had diahorrea & blood & it was a gut infrction, hospital stay again & IV so it could be meny things, best to get the vet to check him out!

I hope everything is ok.

Jacqui

Take the pup and a sample to the vet ASAP - puppies can go down hill really quickly.

It is best to get it checked out as soon as possible. - it may be nothing but it is much better to be safe then sorry.

Hi All.

Just got back from vet. Vet said he may have strained abit going to the toilet, No worms. or any thing thank god.

Shall let you know how is is on later in the day.

Thanks so much all. Life line :thumbsup:

Byott

Edited by byott

That is great your puppy is clear of worms, Hookworm, will give blood in stools and Hookworm WILL kill puppies, I saw more than one litter die, over time that came into the vets where I use to work.

Did your vet give you a strong worming protocol to use for awhile? We worm very 2 weeks with Drontal from 2 weeks to 12 weeks, than every 4 weeks till 6 months, than every 3 months for the life of our dogs, we will alternate every few doses once they are over 6 months with another wormer, just in case the worms become resistant to Drontal.

Hi all

Thanks for the links . they were helpfull. vet gave me 5 days of protexin To maintain intestinal balance and function. Thats what it says on the packet. beneficial gut bacteria.. so may be it is trauma e.t.c & diet that has caused it. I have kept to the diet that the breeder gave.

The vet said just to keep him on Supercoat & little puppy milk. So keep fingers crossed. he still had a touch of blood tonight in his stools. they are not hard or runny.

Dread it when he does a poo now checking !!!

Ive never had this befor with my other goldens. Such a worry with a new little puppy. Tried to get intouch with the breeder just to let her know what she thought. But have not heard back yet.

Shall let you know how it goes :thumbsup: Thanks all Byott

Edited by byott

If I were you, I would be worming the puppy despite the vet saying it is all clear. You can get many false negative readings on hookworms. The vets check stools to see whether hookworm eggs are present and a negative only means that eggs are not present - not that hookworms are not definitely there ie. immature worms could still be there but not breeding. The lifecycle of hookworms is very short and worms may not be laying eggs today but by tomorrow they could be shedding thousands of eggs.

If the puppy came from a large overcrowded kennel it is possible that it could be coccidiosis but the pup would show signs of being unwell as well as blood.

If I were you, I would be worming the puppy despite the vet saying it is all clear.  You can get many false negative readings on hookworms.  The vets check stools to see whether hookworm eggs are present and a negative only

Hello scales of justice.

yes vet did worm him again this morning. he had the little finger in his bottom. And then she checked under the magnifer.

Hes eating okay and playing e.t.c.

Byott

Hello Byott,

It is very distressing - Nina used to get this regularly. She would seem fine and play and eat as normal. she never had a temperature but had the blood in her stool.

We would go to the vet each time and she would have a course of anti-biotics and change her diet to steamed chicken and white rice for two weeks and then back onto her old food.

She was wormed each time as well in addition to her normal worming routine. I was completely paranoid that it was parvo since I haven't actually seen a dog with this. (she is vaccinated but that didn't stop me waking at 2 am convinced she was dying!)

Our vet couldn't find anything specific wrong with Nina either but we are continuing investigating. He suggests that it might just be an irritable bowel problem. We find that commercial dog food sets it off for some reason that we haven't yet identified. Especially supercoat - which is a bit bizarre! We changed over to BARF and since then she hasn't had it at all.

You could ask your vet about this possibility as well if you don't find any other cause. this can be managed by trying diets until you find one that works and is nutritionally sound.

Guest angenbear

Hi Byott. Sometimes it's the food that can create the blood in the stools. Are the stools firm or soft? What are you feeding the pup? Bear had a bit of blood in his stools when he was a puppy, lots of soft stools. Switched to natural dog food, that is human grade, and stools are firm and never a problem after that. Some of the commercial dog food carry ingredients that may not agree with some dogs, watch out for by products they are rejects of leftever stuff that's not being used, and in each bag it's something different. Having a Golden myself, some goldens are sensitive to change. So you might want to consider going natural if the food you're using isn't using quality ingredients.