Which Is The Most "dog Friendly" State.

Keira&Phoenix

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's BSL?

I agree with you K&P I don't find QLD very dog friendly at all.

Hi Caz,

BSL = Breed Specific Legislation ie: legislation that prohibits or restricts the owning and keeping of certain breeds of dogs such as pit bulls. Hope this helps. If you want more info there is a specific forum about BSL/Legislation etc.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread to say what the Tasmanians would say. I can't give an opinion because I haven't owned a dog here yet. I do know that there is a beach 5 minutes away that has a huge section which is dog friendly all year around. I think there is also an off leash area in the main town about 10 mins from where I live. But as far as taking dogs out and about here, I'm not sure how accepted they are. There are a lot of bushwalks in Tassie but I've never heard of any dog friendly ones.

I'm from regional Qld and I wouldn't consider where I live very dog friendly - for different reasons than what most posters are referring to.

We have expensive dog registrations but not too many restrictions. It's a real lottery to take your dog out in public because you never know if someone else's unruly dog will be roaming the streets.

Where I used to live - I couldn't take my dogs for a walk more than about 2 houses either way of my property because of neighbours unruly, loose, aggressive dogs.

I think that most dog restrictions and laws are way over the top for the responsible owner who unfortunately has to be impacted by the very irresponsible actions of a number of other owners who think it's their god-given right to allow their dogs to do whatever and go wherever they like.

I also think that a lot of the general public are far too precious and selfish about what they want - ie if they don't like dogs they whinge and whinge to get them restricted.....Guess what, I get really annoyed by unruly children in the shopping centre destroying everything, stealing and shoving their dirty hands everwhere they shouldn't be but I don't see them being banned anytime soon unfortunately.....

I'm from regional Qld and I wouldn't consider where I live very dog friendly - for different reasons than what most posters are referring to.

We have expensive dog registrations but not too many restrictions. It's a real lottery to take your dog out in public because you never know if someone else's unruly dog will be roaming the streets.

Where I used to live - I couldn't take my dogs for a walk more than about 2 houses either way of my property because of neighbours unruly, loose, aggressive dogs.

I think that most dog restrictions and laws are way over the top for the responsible owner who unfortunately has to be impacted by the very irresponsible actions of a number of other owners who think it's their god-given right to allow their dogs to do whatever and go wherever they like.

I also think that a lot of the general public are far too precious and selfish about what they want - ie if they don't like dogs they whinge and whinge to get them restricted.....Guess what, I get really annoyed by unruly children in the shopping centre destroying everything, stealing and shoving their dirty hands everwhere they shouldn't be but I don't see them being banned anytime soon unfortunately.....

Agree completely with everything you say especially about the unruly kids. My nephew is less well behaved then my dogs.

I guess I am lucky in the fact that in the past 3 years I have only encountered loose dogs on 2 or 3 occasions in our area, and I think that was because they escaped and not were just let run free by irresponsible owners. I think our area is one of the better ones, although we don't have a dense population of dogs in comparison to houses in our area either.

I live in Qld too and its a big let down when you are trying to find somewhere nice where you can take the dogs. I've been looking for a long time for a nice camping spot which is dog friendly but they are always National Parks.

There is a dog friendly off-leash beach between Coolum Beach and Peregian Beach. I can't remember the name of it though.

I live in Qld too and its a big let down when you are trying to find somewhere nice where you can take the dogs. I've been looking for a long time for a nice camping spot which is dog friendly but they are always National Parks.

There is a dog friendly off-leash beach between Coolum Beach and Peregian Beach. I can't remember the name of it though.

My brother has found a nice camping spot at Canungra where you can take your dogs, its next too a stream/creek thing I think. I will have to find out the name of the camp grounds.

Yeah that is my issue everywhere nice is National Park now. Like someone mentioned Mount Glorious which is part of the Brisbane Forest Reserve which used to be dog friendly but has now become part of the DAguilar National Park so no go with dogs, this seems to be the same with everywhere now.

I have found 1 place for bushwalking that may be nice but I haven't seen it yet. I will PM you the name if you want :rofl:

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Neurum Creek Bush Resort allow dogs, they are approx 15 minutes from Woodford.

"You are welcome to bring "Fido" along as long as you observe a few fundamental rules. Keep on leash on arrival and during your camp set up. Keep on leash when at office/shop or at ammenities (not in ammenities) Keep on a leash during all times unless you are actualy engaged in some interaction such as ball throwing, swimming, or remote area walking away from other campers."

http://www.ncbr.com.au/

Edited by Hesapandabear

I think Perth is very dog friendly, not sure about all of WA.

We have lots of dog beaches here, the river, some fantastic dog exercise areas and there is soon to be a new fenced (and covered apparently) dog exercise area 2 minutes down the road from me where a park is being made over with lots of new features.

Some alfresco cafes are happy for you to have your dogs at your feet .... and some even provide water bowls. Mandurah is especially good cafe wise.

Our council put in a dog water fountain at our local park at our request which we thought was great!

We have lots of dog beaches here, the river, some fantastic dog exercise areas and there is soon to be a new fenced (and covered apparently) dog exercise area 2 minutes down the road from me where a park is being made over with lots of new features.

Some alfresco cafes are happy for you to have your dogs at your feet .... and some even provide water bowls. Mandurah is especially good cafe wise.

Our council put in a dog water fountain at our local park at our request which we thought was great!

Ooh, GR, which suburb?

Ooh, GR, which suburb?

Lathlain :laugh:

I live in a country town in Vic and it used to be very dog friendly. Dogs welcomed most places, lots of bush areas to go for walk, rivers and a lake. All cafes provide water for dogs and make a fuss of them :D If your dog was well behaved then it was allowed to have them off leash in most places. Poepl were very tolerant and quite dog savvy on the whole.

I went to tie my girl outside the video shop one day to return a vid, but the man instisted that she come in with me and visit.

In the 8 years i have lived here I have never heard of any real dog problems, no aggression, dogs behaving badly, rude owners etc. Off course we do get the usual dogs that escape and may get at some sheep or something, but no differnt to other country areas. They are usualy dispatched pretty quickly.

Only problem is that the town is in Vic and therefore subject to its draconian dog laws regarding things like prong and e collars and schutzhund :D

Unfortunately we now have a new local laws lady who is insisting on dragging out any law she can find and is fining dogs owners left and right for things that we have been allowed to do for years and ruining our harmonious town :)

North Shore beach is dog friendly and so is Point Cartwright/La Balsa :)

Interesting thread - I'll watch with interest to find out where I shoudn't look for a job when I graduate. :)

Sounds like there are few bush areas for hiking that are dog friendly? That's a bummer.

Stay there, Staranais!!! We'll all come to you (added bonus : no snakes) and then your job opportunities will increase and so you won't have to think about leaving there :D.

Victoria seems OK to me. I think that some people are going to ruin it for the rest of us very quickly though. I took the kids and dog to Lilydale Lake this afternoon which is a very popular dog walking spot. It also has an offleash area. Well, the amount of dog crap everywhere was absolutely disgusting. I'm talking every 5-10 metres, there was crap. There are rolls of bags and bins everywhere along the trail, so there is no excuse for not picking it up. It's only a matter of time before dogs are banned there. Not to mention the number of offleash dogs in the onlead (or no dog) areas.