I Posted A Topic A While Ago

Dogsrawesome

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*puts hand up* My first dog was a shiba. Now I have two of them. Yes, they are stubborn and a pain in the butt to train and you can never trust them off leash. However they are awesome like dogs and a big dog in their own minds at least. If a person was to read up all the cons about them and be aware I see no reason why they cant be a first dog. I was lucky the breeder picked a soft less challeging boy for my first. They are not the kind of dog to just stick in the back yard and forget (they will remind you very quickly of their existence!) and you do have to watch them with other dogs and never let them get dog aggressive.

Cons can be found in lots of breeds.

Stubborn, so are some other spitz

High prey drive, so do some terriers

Can be dominant with other dogs, so can staffords

The SCREAAAAAM! only sometimes,not as annoying as a contstant yappy little bark.

Poor recall, once again, other spitz, some hounds.

The biggest problem is spoiling them. They look so damn cute but if you let them walk over you then you have a monster...

How do you plan to incorporate a puppy into your household with your old dog?

Thats why im kinda thinking of a dog out of puppy stage but max is good with dogs we also have my nans jack russel who is still fairly active so if i got a puppy he could play with rusty ;) i have thought about max but i need a younger dog for the dog trainers course next year.

Having had a Shiba Inu, I would say they are loving dogs and easily trained, but attentive and obedient only when it suits them. Not safe of lead as they just switch of to the owner whe something else catches their eye. Also can be aggressive with other dogs especially smaller dogs even when brought up with them in an experienced dog home. The temperment and personality is probabaly as far the other end of the scale as could be to a German Shepherd. While they are beautiful dogs, I would not have another one.

As to an Australian Shepherd I personally would not recommend them for a first time dog owner unless they were already dog savy. They are extremly loyal and loving and very smart, which if not channelled can lead to all sorts of negative behaviour. As a breed that is bred for herding they are also extremly protective of their own and this can cause issues with separation and with barking at any unexpected noises. If an owner is not consistant with how they deal with these situations it can quickly get out of hand. I do think they are the most wonderful breed in the world, but even in a dog savey home with a person who was a dog trainer and continues to learn and practice all they can about training, it is a full time job to keep up with the brains these dogs have. Yes, I have been outsmarted on more than one occassion by my Aussie :eek: and I've had dogs of varing types including several herding breeds for more than 40 years.

Quiet aside from how a dog looks you need to work out what type of personality and temperment you want (yes, there are variations between dogs but generally there are factors that are fairly consistant with each breed), what the breed was bred for and wether it will fit in with your lifestyle and if you have the time to meet that particular breeds requirments in terms of exercise, grooming, feeding, training and attention. There are heaps of breeds out there that I love the look of but will never have simply because either their general personality does not suit me or I feel I could not do that particular breed justice in its day to day requirements. Purchacing a dog simply on the basis of liking the looks is what often leads to dogs having to be rehomed.

Having had a Shiba Inu, I would say they are loving dogs and easily trained, but attentive and obedient only when it suits them. Not safe of lead as they just switch of to the owner whe something else catches their eye. Also can be aggressive with other dogs especially smaller dogs even when brought up with them in an experienced dog home. The temperment and personality is probabaly as far the other end of the scale as could be to a German Shepherd. While they are beautiful dogs, I would not have another one.

As to an Australian Shepherd I personally would not recommend them for a first time dog owner unless they were already dog savy. They are extremly loyal and loving and very smart, which if not channelled can lead to all sorts of negative behaviour. As a breed that is bred for herding they are also extremly protective of their own and this can cause issues with separation and with barking at any unexpected noises. If an owner is not consistant with how they deal with these situations it can quickly get out of hand. I do think they are the most wonderful breed in the world, but even in a dog savey home with a person who was a dog trainer and continues to learn and practice all they can about training, it is a full time job to keep up with the brains these dogs have. Yes, I have been outsmarted on more than one occassion by my Aussie and I've had dogs of varing types including several herding breeds for more than 40 years.

Quiet aside from how a dog looks you need to work out what type of personality and temperment you want (yes, there are variations between dogs but generally there are factors that are fairly consistant with each breed), what the breed was bred for and wether it will fit in with your lifestyle and if you have the time to meet that particular breeds requirments in terms of exercise, grooming, feeding, training and attention. There are heaps of breeds out there that I love the look of but will never have simply because either their general personality does not suit me or I feel I could not do that particular breed justice in its day to day requirements. Purchacing a dog simply on the basis of liking the looks is what often leads to dogs having to be rehomed.

Thanks for your advice on the Shiba inu. I don't just want a dog based on looks :thumbsup: the first thing I read is there temperament. If I wanted a dog based on looks I would definitely get a Siberian husky or Alaskan Malamute haha but there personality doesn't suit my lifestyle or my needs :D. In the post I did earlier heaps of people were suggesting and agreeing with the aussie shepherd or retriever dogs so I guess I will keep reading up before I jump into anything.

The cons of the Shiba that Cannibalgoldfish has posted above are pretty much identical for a Sibe just swap the scream for constant wuu wuus.

So if I Sibe wouldn't suit you I highly doubt a Shiba would

Haha the barking really wouldnt bother me its more my dad :D but i worry about the heat with them and i also have a cat so i worry he wouldnt like my cat :S cause i see all these huskys in rescues that say they hate cats.

The cons of the Shiba that Cannibalgoldfish has posted above are pretty much identical for a Sibe just swap the scream for constant wuu wuus.

So if I Sibe wouldn't suit you I highly doubt a Shiba would

Haha the barking really wouldnt bother me its more my dad ;) but i worry about the heat with them and i also have a cat so i worry he wouldnt like my cat :S cause i see all these huskys in rescues that say they hate cats.

My Sibe is fine with her 'cats' however strange cats, rabbits, rats, mice and birds are fair game.

IF the Shiba has a similar prey drive to the Sibe you would have similar issues with a Shiba .

She copes better with the heat than I do and it isn't unusual to find her sunbathing in the full sun on a 40+ degree day.

They are however very vocal just like a Shiba so I really don't think your dad would be happy with either :D

I'm wondering why the Airedale doesn't seem to be particularly popular these days? I don't see many of them around and therefore don't get a lot of opportunity to work with them to know them better than the little I do, but what little contact I have had with them they strike me as a very fun loving; loyal; and level-headed dog. From what I read they make an excellent watch dog. Apart from trimming the coat I believe maintenance isn't very high and that they have a good health history. I'm actually thinking that if I get to have my second dog, a female Airedale might be what I give serious consideration to. In his teen years my Dad had an Airedale and shared a wonderful relationship with him.

Not intending to hi-jack the OP's thread but perhaps an Airedale is something he might like to consider?

Edited by Erny

I ony know one Airedale but she is as crazy as a loon. She is in our obedience class (well was) and she was even more hyper and stubborn than my over enthusiastic pigging mix. Noone ever wanted to stand next to her because she gave all the dogs crazy eyes to incite them to play. She is WAY cute though.

There's a lady who goes to my obedience club who breeds Airedales. She often brings a young adult female with her and she is a delightful dog. She used to bring a young male but I didn't like him as much, he wasn't overly friendly but that young bitch is a dog I could easily sneak home with me.

Yeah im thinking i might get a vallhund if i have to get a small dog haha thanks for the great advice :( are they natural bobtail?

Some are some aren't, bit like the corgis the natural bobtail gene is reasonably common in the breed as far as I know.

Dogperson, I see you are from QLD. I can't stop thinking about all the climatic difficuties faced by QLd'ers at the moment. Tonight there will be a Cat. 5 cyclone and I'm afraid that there will be yet more catastrophic disaster similar to what the flooding has brought. I don't think anyone really knows the extent of what is to come and I hope and hope that things will not go as bad as they are expected to.

There may well be a displaced dog that meets your criteria and desperately needs you after all this is over.