Cocker Spaniel Colours

goldenluv

My daughter is interested in looking at getting a Cocker spaniel and I came across this and am wondering about the colours of cocker spaniels

There is 1 Rare Soild Chocolate Males available

Is this a rare colour?

Not that colour is the important thing just wondered when I saw the add

Chocolate (or more correctly liver in cockers) is an acceptable colour in the cocker standard. Liver and chocolate are the same ccolour genetically, bb, but called different things in different breeds i.e. liver in dalmatians and cockers, chocolate in labradors and border collies.

I don't know how common liver is but I would steer clear of any breeder who misnames a colour.

Chocolate (or more correctly liver in cockers) is an acceptable colour in the cocker standard. Liver and chocolate are the same ccolour genetically, bb, but called different things in different breeds i.e. liver in dalmatians and cockers, chocolate in labradors and border collies.

I don't know how common liver is but I would steer clear of any breeder who misnames a colour.

Using the "rare" word pings my radar too.

And the fact that the "chocolate" pups are twice the price of other coloured pups.

Ditto here.

Breeder is having some trouble with the correct breed name too it seems.

Ask for a breeder recommendation in the Cocker thread or ring the Cocker club. I'd go word of mouth on Cockers - good ones are nice dogs, bad ones are god awful and temperament really matters.

If it is the one I am looking at they aren't asking any more for that color as most breeders ask for more the common colors . So I wouldn't hold it against them

That breeder does do health checks :)

But yes definatly ask around unfortunatly not many breeders come into the cocker thread but ring the cocker club in your state

If it is the one I am looking at they aren't asking any more for that color as most breeders ask for more the common colors . So I wouldn't hold it against them

But yes definatly ask around unfortunatly not many breeders come into the cocker thread but ring the cocker club in your state

If it is the same one did you look at the puppy price list on the website?

If it is the same one did you look at the puppy price list on the website?

Yes I just did after i posted that :) was just going on the $1000 that they are asking for that pup , which is around the price you would pay for a blue roan cocker pup :)

Edited by MTD

This concerns me

I am now over 4 years old and will hopfuly be having so puppies in 2011, mum is planning on putting me with XXX PRA Clear so all owe babies will be Carries for PRA.

So they have bred a dog affected by PRA? OK they have been open about pups being carriers BUT......

Ok I retract all my previous posts

I need to read more carefully :o

Would be helpful if some cocker breeders would post information re what to look for when looking for a "well bred " cocker pup .

I am sure the OP has been offered some wonderful advice by PM ( as I have )

Edited by MTD

Would be helpful if some cocker breeders would post information re what to look for when looking for a "well bred " cocker pup .

Is there anything like that in the 101 thread?

Is there anything like that in the 101 thread?

Very few breeders posted in that thread . Question re health checks was answered well by 2 breeders :(

Chocolate = Liver

Brits call them liver, and Americans call them chocolates.

Chocolate is recessive, but common.

At the (USA based) Cocker forum I belong to, there are as many chocolates as any other color.

Cockers are, by breed standard, "merry". I rarely read posts about personality problems. (It isn't like in the 50's-60's, where they were bred indiscriminately to supply the high demand caused by "Lady and the Tramp"!)

Some rescues, due to their prior living/life conditions, may have behavior problems. Most recover nicely once fostered and re-homed!

Bonz

Edited by Bonzawani