Fish4dogs

minyvlz

Has anyone tried the Fish4Dogs canned food in supermarkets? What do you guys think about it? I bought a few and was happy to see real fish meat in there (sorry if most have it; kinda new to the world of wet food)! Reminded me of the Holistic Select ones but my pup isn't that keen on HS...

There are also the Fish4Dogs Dental Sea Jerky treats I saw at my local pet store.

IMO buying a can of sardines, mackeral or Salmon wuld be a better option for feeding fish. Or home brand sardine cat food - it is pretty much all sardines. You don't pay for the fancy labelling and marketing of 'dog food' (which is getting on the bandwagon of people feeding actual fish to their dogs) this way and you know you are actually buying all fish, not something that looks like it has some fish in it. JMHO.

Be careful - some of the Fish4dogs varieties have Chicken in them. You have to read the ingredients on the packaging carefully if you have a dog with food allergies.

You are better off buying the home brand tins of fish (without the fancy packaging and price) otherwise go to the fishmonger at the end of day or just before they get their next stock in. We've found they will happily offload fish which is about to pass the 'sold by' date for far less than retail price.

I have bought (and still have) the canned fish variety for my dogs, but they don't seem to like it that much. They usually aren't picky but dislike fish in general I think. I've tried the Holistic Select seafood cans but they don't like it, and I've tried giving them pieces of raw fish (and once a whole fish - it was left in its original state; rarely does my Westie leave anything in one piece) and prawns and they don't like it either. That's why I was happy when they liked the F4D cans, cuz I've read so much about fish being really good for dogs. They don't have allergies and perhaps the chicken mince is making the food more flavourful?

I normally feed raw and don't like canned foods but being unable to feed them fish gives me a headache, that's why I'm asking if anyone has tried this brand or know if it's any good.

I gave it once to my fusser eater he wouldnt eat it so i fed it to the other dogs.. it only gave them the shits!!

Thats the reason why I bought it :rolleyes: my old girl is constantly constipated. I spoon it on top of her food.

I've fed it with no issues. I prefer it to tins of sardines as it seems less messy, I always end up with sardine oil all over the place. FFD does work out more expensive then the cheap sardines though. I would only use it very occasionally though.