As A Breeder, Are You Running A Business?

Puppoochi

As a breeder/exhibitor of Toy Poodles, I don't breed very often, so therefore it is unrealistic for me to expect someone wanting a pet to be waiting up to a year for a puppy. I do keep a waiting list, however, by the time a litter has come, the people on my waiting list have found a pup elsewhere, which is quite understandable. In my breed there is however many breeders that don't exhibit, that have litters on the ground constantly.

There was a thread in general forum last week about breeders being rude and not answering emails, which has since been removed because it was getting out of control. One post stated that because I was running a business, I should reply to all emails I replied by saying that it is a misconception that all breeders are in business, as I know that I am NOT, I am an enthusiast and it is my hobby. But because I happened to sell pups on occasions, some people regarded that as being a business.

In my eyes, yes, selling a puppy is a business transaction where money passes hands and they receive a puppy, but to say I'm running a business is to me ludicrous. It was also asked that if I'm not running a business, why do I have a website, before I could answer the thread was removed, my answer would have been to showcase my dogs.

Some emails I answer, others I don't, it all depends on the email. I also go out of my way to help people find a pup from what I consider to an ethical reputable breeder if I don't have anything at the time. Toy Poodles are much exploited, so therefore, I choose to promote breeders that not only health test but also do the right thing by the dog.

What are your thoughts? What do you do when you get an email wanting a pup when you don't have any pups on the ground? How do you respond when you get an email not personally addresses to you that basically asking HOW MUCH?

Edited by poodiful1

I reply to most emails I get ... if I don't have anything available I often recommend friends that do or refer them to our

Clubs Puppy referral number.

I don't reply to emails that just ask "how much" and I also tend not to respond to emails that are sent to "bulk" recipients.

I reply to most emails I get ... if I don't have anything available I often recommend friends that do or refer them to our

Clubs Puppy referral number.

I don't reply to emails that just ask "how much" and I also tend not to respond to emails that are sent to "bulk" recipients.

As a breeder, do you consider yourself as running a business?

I have been O/S to exhibit dogs, look at dogs and meet breeders, imported 2 dogs and 2 bitches and 2 lots of frozen semen...but have only had 9 puppies in 9 years so....No definately not a business, just a hobby/passion.

I have a website but is to showcase my dogs only, generally anyone who contacts me I refer to other breeders who will have puppies soon or planned.

I consider myself a person who has a hobby/passion. I do not consider it a business.

However, I do respond to all my emails, and I am about to set up a website (to showcase my dogs).

I don't expect people to be on my waiting list for a long time, and I am open with people about when i am expecting a litter. i don't beat about the bush and ask most people are they willing to wait or are they more interested in going elsewhere, as I am happy to recommend people sometimes.

In my state, there are a high number of BYBs in my breed for some odd reason, as well as some registered breeders, so I am very wary of who i sell to and certainly don't try overly hard with anyone that sells themselves to me in the right way, until they start trying!!

I don't have litters often - 2 in the last 4 1/2 years - and I don't show. I certainly don't run a business and, when I do have a litter, I breed using advice from one who is much more experienced that I can ever hope to be.

I have standard poodles but I am not a groomer, which is really why I don't show - also I'm not a spring chicken anymore for running around a ring.

I do answer most emails and go to a lot of trouble to help friends place pups in good homes. I don't answer emails that are obviously from agents or 'big buyers'. I have had someone wait a year for one of my pups, but that was their choice and I had offered to help them get another pup from another breeder. I am so scared of being responsible for a pup ending up mistreated, in a puppy farm or being part of the 'doodle' world, that I spend hours making sure pups are placed well, If I got paid by the hour I would be a wealthy woman indeed. Definitely for the love of the breed.

I don't have litters often - 2 in the last 4 1/2 years - and I don't show. I certainly don't run a business and, when I do have a litter, I breed using advice from one who is much more experienced that I can ever hope to be.

I have standard poodles but I am not a groomer, which is really why I don't show - also I'm not a spring chicken anymore for running around a ring.

I do answer most emails and go to a lot of trouble to help friends place pups in good homes. I don't answer emails that are obviously from agents or 'big buyers'. I have had someone wait a year for one of my pups, but that was their choice and I had offered to help them get another pup from another breeder. I am so scared of being responsible for a pup ending up mistreated, in a puppy farm or being part of the 'doodle' world, that I spend hours making sure pups are placed well, If I got paid by the hour I would be a wealthy woman indeed. Definitely for the love of the breed.

May I ask, why do you breed?

Sure.

I breed because I love/enjoy it and because I'm good at raising great pups with the help of my gorgeous girls. I have friends who are groomers and do the shows - I support them and they support me. It has been this way for a long time and works well. I would never breed without health testing and knowing the pedigree and would never use an inferior or untested sire. I have one dog that, after getting him 6 years ago, I found that there was Addisons in the line so never used him. I had him neutered and he is a great friend and companion. I have a lot of satisfaction from the happiness that people have from pups that have been bred here and the fact the all pups have become lovely adults.

I am not running a business breeding and selling dogs.

I don't have waiting lists either.

I've had 2 enquiries this week and both were responded to within 3 days. However I have nothing to sell and not expecting to have anything in the near future either.

People do have businesses associated with their dogs - boarding kennels, grooming salons etc. That is allowed.

It's a hobby. To have a business, you must satisfy the requirements of the ATO which requires activities of a business, and an annual profit. And I do answer every single email. I think replying to enquiries is a breeder's responsibility - for the good of the fancy

My thoughts are that pewithers is meaning that it is against the code to breed for profit????

well .. we all know that happens ... just look at litter listings in various state journals.

I know in my breed they're full of multiple litters from breeders I've never seen ... nothing of those prefixes has ever been shown ... they use there own dogs over and over

never going to outside stud dogs.

If I was a business I would be out of business....but I breed for myself, for the betterment of the breed, to carry on the breed and to compete in conformation shows.

I only advertise on my website, no where else, if I have puppies or adults to rehome. Lately I have had more phonecalls about puppies than emails which is a nice change.

If I was a business I would be out of business....but I breed for myself, for the betterment of the breed, to carry on the breed and to compete in conformation shows.

I only advertise on my website, no where else, if I have puppies or adults to rehome. Lately I have had more phonecalls about puppies than emails which is a nice change.

Interesting - I've been getting more 'phone calls lately as well, and I don't have any litters.

Sure.

I breed because I love/enjoy it and because I'm good at raising great pups with the help of my gorgeous girls. I have friends who are groomers and do the shows - I support them and they support me. It has been this way for a long time and works well. I would never breed without health testing and knowing the pedigree and would never use an inferior or untested sire. I have one dog that, after getting him 6 years ago, I found that there was Addisons in the line so never used him. I had him neutered and he is a great friend and companion. I have a lot of satisfaction from the happiness that people have from pups that have been bred here and the fact the all pups have become lovely adults.

You sound like me Ozwildflower - I also have Standard Poodles and, over 17 years, have only had litters about every 2 years. I don't show either (although a friend who has a bitch of mine shows her). I do it for love of the breed - I have done Obedience trialling with a couple of my dogs and dogs I have sold have been trialled in Obedience and Tracking. If you feel like PMing me, I would love to see some of your Standards. (sorry for the OT, Poodiful)

ETA - I certainly don't regard it as a business - when I think of the costs over the years! It's just a (very expensive) hobby.

Edited by poodlemum

As a "business" I am way in the red. :):laugh::rofl::eek:

I reply to all emails as soon as I see them. Maybe 2 days.

I now have a website and I ask the emailer to go to it and fill out the expression of interest form. This I have done twice in the last fortnight and neither have done it.

It was unfortunate that that other thread was nuked because it had some very good points in it.

Breeders not replying to emails sends the puppy inquirer/buyer in to the arms of the puppy farmer.