I'm A Proud Mum

Tapua

I went to Orange yesterday and had 2 of my dogs a Lab called Tua and our Border Collie X called Croftie both accredited as Delta Society Pets for Therapy Dogs. We get our special scarfs and a Polo Shirt for me next week. We hope to be able to visit nursing homes & hospitals soon. :provoke:

Edited by Tapua

Thanks everyone - I will pass on your congrats to the kids - Shell - I love your Endurance?, Fidelity?, Intelligence? combo! :D

Thanks :( Zero really is broken. "Indomitable spirit of the sled dog" is the opposite of everything Zero is!

Ah but he loves ya!! and thats what counts! :champagne:

Congratulations, I would love to do it with my boy Arnie. How did you find it? Any tips and advice?

Arnie look adorable - I trained my own dogs and just did the test -Step 1 - go to the Delta Society website and sign up as a volunteer. Locate a Delta assessor in you local area or speak to the Sydney office who will tell you where to go. I know there is a Delta Therapy Assessment happening sometime this month or march in Sydney.

I was assessed in Orange and I just turned up on the day, there are vaccinations that have to be up to date and vet assessments which generally are done after you pass the assesment. I have to do an orientation OHS paperwork day next Saturday when we get our gear and then I will be assigned the visiting place.

The website has a video which shows you what has to be done on the day for the assessment - if you think your dog can do all that - then just turn up on the day for assessment otherwise get a couple of sessions under your belt with Delta. Remeber the Delta Society Pets for Therapy test is not about obediece its about the positive relationship between you and your dog, the dogs temperament and the dogs responses to stressfull stimuli - to assess the dogs and your response to stress in the public... which can be unpredictable. The test is a challenge for any dog.

Edited by Tapua

I went to Orange yesterday and had 2 of my dogs a Lab called Tua and our Border Collie X called Croftie both accredited as Delta Society Pets for Therapy Dogs. We get our special scarfs and a Polo Shirt for me next week. We hope to be able to visit nursing homes & hospitals soon. :laugh:

I work in a nursing home what a fantastic idea and good on you to be giving of your time as well as Tua and Croftie

Michelle