Holding Deposit On Puppy

Fordogs

I have a holding deposit on a puppy that a family has purchased for Dads 50th, now they are telling me that they intend to give her at his b' party and now I am having grave misgivings about selling the puppy, What would you do, I am thinking that I should hold her back and say that she is not well or something?

This puppy is 9 weeks old and has never seen more that 4 or 5 people at a time she may be fine but there again she may be terrified.

This is why I never let puppies go before Chrismas and now I feel commited.

Instead of making up a story, just phone them up and ask them straight how many people will be at the party and what arrangements have been made for the puppy after it has been presented - do they have a safe quiet place for it or is it expected to party the night away.

If they're not too far away perhaps you could offer to bring the puppy to the party then take it home for the night and they can come and collect the pup the next day.

Have a rational conversation with them and point out the pitfalls of what they plan - it could be the ''party'' is 5 people having a cup of tea :(

I wouldnt let a pup of mine go to a party to be presented.

sandras suggestion of taking it, then taking it home sounds a good plan, you dont want to freak the pup out by a lot of people not knowing how to handle a dog, nor do you want 30 party goers giving the puppy 'just a lil bite' of this that or the other thing and ending up really sick.

Instead of making up a story, just phone them up and ask them straight how many people will be at the party and what arrangements have been made for the puppy after it has been presented - do they have a safe quiet place for it or is it expected to party the night away.

If they're not too far away perhaps you could offer to bring the puppy to the party then take it home for the night and they can come and collect the pup the next day.

Have a rational conversation with them and point out the pitfalls of what they plan - it could be the ''party'' is 5 people having a cup of tea :)

I agree with Sandra

Sounds like the want to do the Disney thing - open a box and out pops a cute puppy to lick his face - can understand that it would be a beautiful memory to hold onto. But yes I agree I would be somewhat concerned but like the others have said have a talk to the new owners and see if the puppy will be kept at the party for the remainer of the night - first night away from a litter is always a bit stressful for a pup at the best of times - maybe they could present him with a cuddly toy like the pup he will be getting with a message to expect the real thing. Also as others have said depends on the size of the party - the music - alchohol cunsumption etc. etc.

Another thing that worries me is that vaccinations are not final till after the 12 week shots and if all sorts of people come up touching and looking or he runs around somewhere where unvaccinated dogs may have been - probably a long shot that he could pick up something but I feel never take any chances.

Perhaps take him an a cuddly blanket that has been given to you by them and kept with his litter for a while - and get some responsible person to take charge of him and keep him with them for the remainder of the party. Perhaps if its not too noisy or too many people he could be happy enough curled up in someones lap and not being passed around to all in sundry.

Above all be honest tell them all they should know about the first few weeks of puppy care - I always give written notes on this and other important things they shoudl be aware of - after all they would not want to invest a lot of money in a pup to have something bad happen to it. They can be made nervous if something untoward happens early to a pup.

If its a 50th birthday hopefully the people attending would be over the silly younger people's type of party - or you would hope so - find out more and tell them your honest thoughts.

I have a holding deposit on a puppy that a family has purchased for Dads 50th, now they are telling me that they intend to give her at his b' party and now I am having grave misgivings about selling the puppy, What would you do, I am thinking that I should hold her back and say that she is not well or something?

This puppy is 9 weeks old and has never seen more that 4 or 5 people at a time she may be fine but there again she may be terrified.

This is why I never let puppies go before Chrismas and now I feel commited.

I totally agree with Sandra777 - start your relationship with these people with an honest & rational conversation!

I have actually given a puppy as a present in the past. I arranged it for Christmas for my father. I had my stepmother organise a quiet room for the pup before I arrived. I had picked up the pup from her breeder about a week beforehand so that she had some time to feel comfortable and calm around my dogs before we went to my folks house. Luckily one of my bitches actually adopted this pup as her own and the pup somewhat bonded with her. After she was given to my father, cuddled, named & fussed over for 1/2 an hour, we settled her into the quiet room with her adopted mother until the Christmas guests had left.

All I am trying to point out is that these people may also be able to provide something quiet and calm in the middle of a celebration and the pup will not be overly traumatised by it. (They might just be having dinner & cake - but you wont know unless you ask!)

Good Luck!

I had a similar situation with my last litter which was ready for Xmas as bad luck would have it. I held firm and did not let them have the puppy until after big day. I did a few nice pictures of the puppy with a red ribbon round his neck and they gave them the pictures.

Thanks everyone, I was starting to think that it was only me (paranoid when it comes to my puppies) Spoke to them, just a small family gathering and puppy will be given prior to the actual time of the party and married daughter said she will take good care of her tomorrow night.

Thanks everyone, I was starting to think that it was only me (paranoid when it comes to my puppies) Spoke to them, just a small family gathering and puppy will be given prior to the actual time of the party and married daughter said she will take good care of her tomorrow night.

Sounds like a great outcome Fordogs.

Not that I have had to place puppies, but as with anything in life, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt until I can clarify it with them.... sounds like they have the right idea.