Beagle Weight

SeeGee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i often tell people who i meet with mini schanuzer's that theirs are too fat. (although i often ask if it is an older dog because it is carrying a few extra kgs, rather than pointing it out in a very direct manner) mine is lean, muscley, has a waist even with his coat and i can feel/count his ribs (though one can't see them).

just because you buy a breed that isn't a working breed it doesn't mean they should be tubs of lard on legs. it makes me quite irate and i see it as cruelty to have an obese dog, after all, you are shortening it's life by allowing it to carry so much extra weight...

i long since gave up trying to convince many labrador owner's that their dog is overweight, it doesn't help and they won't change their dog's exercise (or lack of it usually!) or diet.

I think everyone has their own guidelines. Personally I like to be able to feel ribs but not see them and I definitely don't want to feel backbone. I don't mind after a good run if you can see the last rib or 2 but any more and I would put weight on them. At that weight they have nice waists and my dogs are fit and healthy into old age without a lot of arthritis.

I like to just see the outline of the last rib or so and feel spine.

Agreed, and an obvious waist tuck. We did a health check in my TAFE class for a Rottweiler and one of the questions was circle their weight (Underweight / Average / Overweight). Everyone in my group were adamant it was a good weight, so circled average. You could not see the outline of the last rib and there was no waist tuck, and it was just tubby IMO, so I went against the trend and circled overweight :rolleyes: However, if I had taken my Labs in to be assessed, I would put money on that the same group of people would have circled Underweight for mine. Some people just don't have a clue and opinions differ greatly on what is a good weight!

Edited by RubyStar

I like to just see the outline of the last rib or so and feel spine.

Agreed, and an obvious waist tuck. We did a health check in my TAFE class for a Rottweiler and one of the questions was circle their weight (Underweight / Average / Overweight). Everyone in my group were adamant it was a good weight, so circled average. You could not see the outline of the last rib and there was no waist tuck, and it was just tubby IMO, so I went against the trend and circled overweight :rolleyes: However, if I had taken my Labs in to be assessed, I would put money on that the same group of people would have circled Underweight for mine. Some people just don't have a clue and opinions differ greatly on what is a good weight!

your labs look great rubystar.

poor ounderfd pups that they are rofl

I'm one of those annoying people who will often mention to someone if their dog is fat, especially if it's 'my' breed, I can't stand to see fat beagles and they seem to be everywhere :cheer:

I wish I had the guts to do it. Came across a guy and his approx. 5 month old Lab out walking (I didn't have mine with me so obviously I just had to stop and say hello!) and it was the biggest tub of lard I had ever set eyes on. It was atrocious. I wish I had the guts to tell him, but some people don't take that advice too well :cheer: He looked a little scary too :cheer:

A Labrador should still have a waist and an obvious tuck. Here's a good example.

And another. Labs shouldn't look like beef cattle.

:rolleyes: ;) :):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::(:cheer:

I'm one of those annoying people who will often mention to someone if their dog is fat, especially if it's 'my' breed, I can't stand to see fat beagles and they seem to be everywhere ;)

I wish I had the guts to do it. Came across a guy and his approx. 5 month old Lab out walking (I didn't have mine with me so obviously I just had to stop and say hello!) and it was the biggest tub of lard I had ever set eyes on. It was atrocious. I wish I had the guts to tell him, but some people don't take that advice too well :rofl: He looked a little scary too :rolleyes:

I try to be nice about it... LOL :) When I met you at the beach when I was over in Perth, as I was walking back to Hilary's I met a nice lady with a lovely beagle who was morbidly obese. I couldn't help myself, I commented on his weight, she knew he was over weight and I could tell she felt guilty about it. I talked to her about what I feed my beagle, and how I keep the weight off her (because Daisy puts weight on super easily, and has been over weight at one stage). I just can't stop myself anymore!

ETA: If I'm worried about how the owners will take it, I say in a happy voice to the dog "you're looking a bit chubby" or something to that effect just to gauge the owner's reaction. I am actually surprised at the number of people who DO know their dog is overweight but just won't do anything about it.

Edited by huski

ETA: If I'm worried about how the owners will take it, I say in a happy voice to the dog "you're looking a bit chubby" or something to that effect just to gauge the owner's reaction. I am actually surprised at the number of people who DO know their dog is overweight but just won't do anything about it.

I think I would take offence to that more than if you were direct with me :rolleyes: :)

I saw an OBESE (had to capitalise, bold and underline that for effect!) Beagle at a show on Friday night ;) The poor thing :rofl:

Glad to see a poster who's said dogs need to have a 'waist'. I heard that for first time recently, when I asked an experienced vet about tibbie, Annie's weight. Annie looks like a little tubby (yes, tubby!) yak, to me. I was worried she might be over-weight.

But the vet felt her over & said she was exactly right...& that she had a 'waist'. The vet had already weighed her at 6 kilos. But it seemed that an essential final test was 'having a waist'. I filed it away as something I needed to learn more about.

There's nothing I love seeing more than a beagle at the correct weight. I hate seeing obese beagles. I have to admit that my girls were once up around 14.5kgs, and I started to realise they were getting big. So I put them on barf, pulled their food back and have never looked back. They were sitting at 12.5kgs, but have had a little spread lately, but I'm pulling it all back again. Trying to get the right food intake between three dogs! I don't measure, just serve. One of my girls has HD, so I try and keep her on the thin side too.

However, my show girl is sitting at 12.5kgs and I've purposely kept her lean through her season so she didn't spread out and me not be able to get the weight off her. Apart from having to keep her lean for the show ring, if she does put on weight, it goes straight to her topline and the fat above her shoulders and she rolls around and looks horrible on the move.

This is her, at 15 months and 12.5kgs. I'm happy with her current weight. I haven't weighed her in a while, but i'm happy with her tuck and coverage of rib:

168313_10150091674157850_677992849_5917102_4817308_n.jpg

I've never been game enough to say something to someone, unless we were already having a conversation. I have however told someone who has one of our old foster dogs that their dogs were too skinny. They look all drawn and thin in the face and you can see quite a few ribs and bones in their thigh. Just horrible :rolleyes:

Edited by ~Erin~

Abby looks great Erin. Daisy is very similar now with the same nice tuck. I am really particular about keeping her lean now we do dog sports because the last thing I want is an unhealthy unfit dog.

Edited by huski

your labs look great rubystar.

poor ounderfd pups that they are rofl

Thanks emery :heart: Ruby could actually stand to lose a kilo, so I have reduced her food again. Both my girls weigh approx 23.5 - 24 kilos each.

a kilo is that all ;)

that weight sounds so skinny to my fat rottis lol. 36/37 last weigh in and the pup still needs maybe a kilo and a half more thankfully she started to eat during her season and her mother needs to lose about 2 lol

Part of my job is to tell people their dogs are overweight :heart:

Some people dont take it too kindly! But I figure I am doing it for the dogs health so I need to try and get through to the owner how important it is.

I am blunt and have told people they are killing their dog (in the case of very obese dogs). I have accidentally also made one owner cry (which I felt awful about!) but she went on to get help from me and now her dog is looking fantastic and has an extra spring in her step!

So many people just dont understand the impact extra weight has and it drives me nuts!

Keep your beagles nice and lean, your doing the right thing ;):):rofl:

I'll tell people at work if I think their dogs are overweight, but usually only if they are obese.

I keep my dogs lean. I have one dog with serious HD and another with a dodgy shoulder, so they are kept extra lean. Now that Champa is getting older, he looks thin but its because he is getting saggy. Pia is too skinny but she doesn't eat. :heart:

Now that Champa is getting older, he looks thin but its because he is getting saggy

That happened with our sheltie as she got towards 13 yrs of age. The vet told us it's a loss of muscle mass in older dogs that can give that impression. She'd been a solid girl all her life previously.

I have a very lean kelpie - obvious feeling of ribs - and a bloodhound that i can't feel his ribs on without pressing - although he does have a 'tuck' - who I struggle with weight wise - he has lots of loose skin (he is 15 months old) and I am making a concious effort to walk him for 45mins each day to see if it makes a difference.

Very different dogs.