Keeping Your Dog Warm

jacqui835

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, was thinking of the sweater for my BT, mine live outside, and she has come from living at a breeders kennel in Victoria, so she is used to being out.

Mine all have loads of coats, but i only have one lightweight Weatherbeeta cotton coat that would fit her, which would be fine as a day coat.

Is the Great North one too cumbursome to sleep in do you think? Was thinking of the sweater, with the weatherbeeta over the top at night.

I also couldn't proceed to checkout on the 2 puppies site, as my computer threw a hissy and said it was not a safe site?

Ithey are very soft so should be fine to sleep in. With the exchange rate I'd investigate getting them direct from canada

Thanks, was thinking of the sweater for my BT, mine live outside, and she has come from living at a breeders kennel in Victoria, so she is used to being out.

Mine all have loads of coats, but i only have one lightweight Weatherbeeta cotton coat that would fit her, which would be fine as a day coat.

Is the Great North one too cumbursome to sleep in do you think? Was thinking of the sweater, with the weatherbeeta over the top at night.

I also couldn't proceed to checkout on the 2 puppies site, as my computer threw a hissy and said it was not a safe site?

They're both fine to sleep in. The GWN is very warm, it has a double layer of polar fleece with and extra high neck, plus the more resistant (black coloured) material over the top of all that. The sweater is a single layer polar fleece but still quite warm.

The Weatherbeeta kennel deluxe coat is a similar style and a good outdoor coat too. http://www.weatherbeeta.com.au/weatherbeet...e-dog-coat.html

You can buy them from Horseland.

Mine wear these and also the jammies with the legs in underneath if it is very freezing.

They also have a heated bed in the laundry and a snugglesafe disk for when they are out in their dogsruns if I go out during the day. The crates in the dogs runs have 4 inch foam matresses with around 8 polarfleece blankets and a cover.

post-23623-1298381636_thumb.jpg

Back when I had time....before kids...lol I had this brilliant idea :D to make a dog coat for my male ridgie....below are pictures of the result. The oh so not impressed model is my female ridgie :rofl: .. the coat was way too small for my male rr. Poor Tia she only wore it once in public.... at least it was rain proof :shrug: but I think the other dogs at the park and on the street laughed at her :eek:

5470789704_391b23126b_m.jpg

IMG_0002 by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

5470789706_e56c8595c0_m.jpg

Tia's coat by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

5470789700_1c8a61e81a_m.jpg

IMG by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

I had this idea that the male rr "bruno" would look 'tough' in it :D :rofl:5470844936_c61535db74_m.jpg

Bruno by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

Going back through the photo album I found Tia's 1st coat... my husband found it in a discount bin....thought it looked like a safetty vest, so he wrote CSC on it (Chinchilla Shire Council)

5470239859_9ba4b8e47e_m.jpg

tia's 1st coat Chinchilla Shire Council lol by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

I think maybe I might buy her a really nice coat this time for her 12th winter... looking at her coat history I think she deserves it lol :rofl::rofl::eek::eek:

Edited by Huntia

• 1 month later...
I can recommend coats bought HERE :p

Hi Persephone,

I am looking for Winter dog coats and tried the link that you had as a reccomendation but it is not working? Is there another way to get to the site?

Huntia

Ella has a dobe coat and is a complete wuss in the cold. She wears one of her coats almost all winter, even during the day, has a doggy futon with fluffy blankets on it, then I tuck her in with a soft baby blanket and throw rug over the top. If she gets up during the night and leaves her blankies somewhere else in the house, I'm woken by a shivering dog trying to climb into bed with me. Sometimes it's easier to just lift the quilt rather than get up and try to find her blankets. I buy second hand human quilted vests and then amend them to fit. Have also made a polar fleece one for her (first one I made and a bit of a failure) and have another couple to make for this winter.

Ellasnewjacketa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ella has a dobe coat and is a complete wuss in the cold. She wears one of her coats almost all winter, even during the day, has a doggy futon with fluffy blankets on it, then I tuck her in with a soft baby blanket and throw rug over the top. If she gets up during the night and leaves her blankies somewhere else in the house, I'm woken by a shivering dog trying to climb into bed with me. Sometimes it's easier to just lift the quilt rather than get up and try to find her blankets. I buy second hand human quilted vests and then amend them to fit. Have also made a polar fleece one for her (first one I made and a bit of a failure) and have another couple to make for this winter.

Ellasnewjacketa.jpg

I love this idea!

We love the Chilly Dogs coats for daytime here. I've tried Weatherbeeta's but found they just slip around too much. The Sweater is great for in between days and the Great White North is great for those freezing cold days, particularly the wet ones.

Sweater:

25339_406972045134_761800134_4943157_2754798_n.jpg

Great White North (you can see how excited he was about the soccer here)

30271_427668945134_761800134_5462828_1601139_n.jpg

And for the evenings, he has full pyjamas for the really cool nights, made by 'itsmeg' here on DOL. She put little velcro ankle straps on the back legs so that they don't slip off his legs too :) . And she surprised me with a pair of matching ones for myself, but I don't think I'll put that pic up :)

9852f18b.jpg

Last night it got to about 13*C and my poor dog (who's a doberman with a very short coat) was so cold I had to let him into the bed. It was ok last night because I don't have work today and my partner wasn't there either, but it's not a viable long term solution - he is just too big. I have tried wrapping him in blankets, but he the only time he seems ok with being under blankets is when they're the blankets on the bed, he happily sleeps under my covers with his head on the pillow. Otherwise he just shrugs the blankets off and goes back to shivering. It's still summer so it's only going to get worse and I'm just at a loss of how to keep him warm short of sharing my bed with him. Anyone else have a big dog who gets cold at night? How do you keep them warm? We are thinking of getting a second dog at some stage this year and it would be a german shepherd, so hopefully she would then be able to keep him warm but that is still some time away...

So funny, our dobe (when he is allowed on our bed) does the same thing. He loves to sleep under the blankets with his head on the pillow.

Go to mypet.com.au/jumpers, I got a few for Harley last year and used these with blankets, he will shrug the blankets off him but at least I know he has a jumper on.

We have a GSD, Mojo wont let Harley sleep with him to keep warm :thumbsup:

I've tried everything with Zeus so I've just decided he prefers to be cold. I've had him in coats which he destroys and he prefers to drag his warm fleece-y blankets around the backyard and not use them. *sigh*

I'd give him a hot water bottle but he'd eat that too and I'm not sure about a heated dog bed. Do they get plugged in like human electric blankets?

Oh and not to mention that I've got a Dreamtime bed for him too but he digs his way through the middle of the cover leaving a huge hole in the middle so that's not even an option. :thumbsup:

Big fan of the Chillydogs coats here too - I've always brought direct from the maker in Canada.

Boo has 2 chillydog sweaters - 1 I got for him and the other belonged to my last dane so it must be 3 years old now and its still in excellent condition despite being washed frequently.

Am about to order the Great North from them.

I have a dobermann and we brought him a weatherbeeta coat for winter, the only issue is no matter what we do, unless he is supervised he WILL rip the coat off, I regret buying a velcro coat, shouldve been buckles.

Edited by kyliegirl

Also a recent Chilly Dog fan :laugh:

We bought a Sweater and the Great North through Erin (Two Small Puppies), great service and price could not ask for any better. We are using the sweater nightly at the moment, not quite cold enough for the Great North yet. Plan to buy the soaker coat and another sweater in a different colour again soon. Pics below of the sweater.

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

One reason I love the chilly dog range is on occasions, being a male dog, he had accidents on his PJS etc, these have a strap under the belly that can remain tight enough to allow no sag, hence no accidents, yet still comfortable enough to move and sleep in. I find the normal belly straps are too tight to sleep in, if not tight enough they fall off his backside. So they are a great product that suit our needs perfectly.

I can recommend coats bought HERE :o

I highly recomed them :laugh: diesel loves his so much that he refuses to take it off and last winter he would sit by the washing machine and dryer as it went through :o

9fb4ecd4.jpg

I can recommend coats bought HERE :rofl:

Hi Persephone,

I am looking for Winter dog coats and tried the link that you had as a reccomendation but it is not working? Is there another way to get to the site?

Huntia

These are home made by a DOLer (ReadySetGo), they are great quality and made to order so fit perfectly

Try PM ReadySetGo or

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=166863&hl=

:love: