Fontana Couple Convicted In Dog Mauling Of 3 Children

Swiss Girl

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/02/18/...-of-3-children/

FONTANA (AP) — A San Bernardino County jury has convicted a Fontana couple whose mastiff and pit bulls mauled three young children a year ago.

Judith Mendez Lopez, 56, and her husband, Jose Lopez Gonzalez, 49, were found guilty Thursday of seven felony counts of allowing vicious animals to be at large. They face a maximum seven years in prison.

Five-year-old Destiny Colon suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung, her 7-year-old brother Hector needed over 200 stitches in his legs, and 8-year-old sister Princess needed 18 stitches.

One of the dogs was shot by a police officer and the rest were euthanized.

Prosecutor Kent Williams told the San Bernardino Sun the verdict was just.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Seems they are getting serious there with dog attacks, but I wonder how long they will really get.

Good.

Five-year-old Destiny Colon suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung, her 7-year-old brother Hector needed over 200 stitches in his legs, and 8-year-old sister Princess needed 18 stitches.

Horrific injurires. I hate to imagine the terror those kids experienced during this attack.

You fail to control your dogs, they do things like this, you SHOULD be held to account. I only hope it gives a few other dog owners pause to control their dogs better.

They will be sentenced in a month so I hope to find out what happens and I'll update, the article did say a maximum of 7 years, but as we all know the maximum is very rarely given.

It tends to be in the US. They don't have concurrent sentences in many areas; they have consecutive.

This act would have been horrific for the poor children. My heart goes out to them. :)

Glad to see that the owners are being held accountable for allowing their dogs to roam free and for what the dogs did. Regardless of the breed, no dog/s should be allowed to get away with maulings/attacks.