Eeeewwww She Eats Poop!

My Dog Rosie

I love my dog Rosie but she has an awful habit that drives me insane...she eats poop! ;)

I should preface by saying in every other way she is perfect...she comes when called (not a lot of setters do this!), she's great with the kids, she never empties the bin even tho she loves food, she is great with cats and she's dog friendly. She's just super low maintenance and I really appreciate this BUT eating poop...come on!

She's done this since being a pup and so far it just means I have to watch her when she goes in the garden (she wont do it if I watch her) if I see her from the kitchen window and shout her she pretends she was just sniffing it :) She's also not picky, she eats my BIL's dogs poop...sometimes while it's still attached to the dog! She likes it fresh. However, we recently got 2 rescue kittens and with indoor cats there are litter trays and I'm sure you can guess the rest... :)

This morning there was a trail of kitty litter from the bathroom where the tray is to her water bowl in the kitchen...gross.

My solution is to keep the bifold door open enough for the cats but not for Rosie's big butt. Fingers crossed it works!

Please tell me I'm not the only one with a poop eating dog?

Actually pineapple only works if the dog eats its own poop. No effect if it eats other dogs (and other animals) poop as when it is digested it apparently makes the poo taste yucky.

Eating other animals poop is pretty normal for dogs. My dog likes possum, sheep, horse, rabbit and cat poop. I'm ok with the first 4 but cat poop is a bit gross.

What is her diet like?

My dog stopped eating other dog poo when we changed her from Pal to Advance and added in some probiotics. It didn't stop her eating rabbit and possum poo though.

She's done this since being a pup and so far it just means I have to watch her when she goes in the garden (she wont do it if I watch her) if I see her from the kitchen window and shout her she pretends she was just sniffing it :) She's also not picky, she eats my BIL's dogs poop...sometimes while it's still attached to the dog! She likes it fresh.

You've just described my Ruby. She knows she is not allowed to do it, so doesn't while I am watching, but the second my back is turned.... !!!

She will indulge like Millie's backside is a Mr Whippy machine :) All efforts to change this have failed, which have included pineapple and kelp powder added to both their food, switching to raw diet, giving her a good telling off..... next I might douse Millie's droppings in tobasco :wave: She doesn't eat her own anymore, at least not from what I've seen, she now eats Millie's.

Millie tried it once after watching Ruby I am guessing, but one telling off and she has never tried it again. She didn't look convinced when sampling it either, unlike Ruby who gulps it like a delicacy!!

So don't fear, you are definitely not alone!! I just think some breeds are more prone to it than others! I'm sad to hear Setters do this too, as that is a future breed choice of mine ;)

Edited by RubyStar

Definitely not alone - there's even a fancy name for it - coprophagia. But I'd definitely be doing what I could to discourage her eating her own (pineapple like oakway says is supposed to work), but also interrupts and rapid clean up.

Having said that, my two - my bitch in particular, loves kitty crunchies - in fact she doesn't wait for them to become crunchy. The poor cat gets followed down to her favourite toileting spots sometimes .. :)

Oh gosh, my dog is obsessed with cat poop. He would eat every other kind of poop too undoubtedly except fortunately for dog poop, which is what we come across most often. If I'm there I can stop him, but left to his own devices well he can't seem to resist. Being a doberman he is often very close to my partner and I, and this might be a bit too gross, but he tries to follow us into the bathroom. I have my suspicions that he wouldn't mind having a go at our er waste produce, as we often have to kick him out of the bathroom as he seems desperate to get his head in the toilet :)

Oh gosh, my dog is obsessed with cat poop. He would eat every other kind of poop too undoubtedly except fortunately for dog poop, which is what we come across most often. If I'm there I can stop him, but left to his own devices well he can't seem to resist. Being a doberman he is often very close to my partner and I, and this might be a bit too gross, but he tries to follow us into the bathroom. I have my suspicions that he wouldn't mind having a go at our er waste produce, as we often have to kick him out of the bathroom as he seems desperate to get his head in the toilet :)

;) Only on a dog forum! :)

Edited because fingers raced brain LOL

Edited by Tassie

and added in some probiotics.

As in the yakult stuff or something else? This sounds like something I might want to try..

Well I use PAW probiotic powder and previously I used Protexin Powder. You can get both these from the vet.

But yakult would probably be similar to what the powders have in them.

I know a few labradors who love the taste of tabasco, so dousing the poop in that might not be the best idea, you might just encourage her :)

i spose a pup eating its own poop is just as horribly gross aswell and fits into this embarrassing category ???

:) glad it is normal, (to the dog's) i though she might be lacking in something in her diet.. eating her own poop sounds worse ;)

The pineapple definitely works for dogs that are eating their own and if the other dogs at home get some too. I discovered that if my older Cavs happen to poop indoors they try to "clean up" the evidence, which is seen in the form of skid marks on the polished boards and disgusting breath!!! :) A few pieces of tinned pinapple and they leave it alone....for me to clean up, which is better but equally infuriating as they have every opportunity to poop outside and do most times. Strangely enough they NEVER even try to eat the poop they do outdoors???? SOmething to be grateful for I guess. It must be a "den cleaning thing" for them indoors?? :)

Cat litter trays are now fortunately out of their domain!!! Don't think I'd get the cats to eat pineapple somehow! ;)

The pineapple definitely works for dogs that are eating their own

While it may work for some, it doesn't work for everyone :)

How much did you give? Labs are a pretty big dog compared to a Cavalier. My girls get the equivalent of 5 pieces of tinned pineapple per meal. Perhaps it was not enough to be noticable? It took a couple of days to "kick in" too.

Or you could just have a very determined sh12 eater! ;)

Ummm...glad I'm not alone in this grossness!

I didn't think she would eat the cat poop as we buy the super cheap litter which is basically gravel so she is eating stones with her poop. She's definitely a foodie - she will eat anything...literally! Bananas, oranges, carrots...you name it. What's the weirdest thing your dog eats...might start a new thread!

Her diet is basically meat (chicken, mince, tinned, dog roll) and veg/rice whatever we have left over from dinner. She is over weight at the moment from being in quarantine and then house sharing with family over here...sigh...she has 'feed me' eyes

Might try the pineapple idea...

While it may work for some, it doesn't work for everyone :love:

How much did you give? Labs are a pretty big dog compared to a Cavalier. My girls get the equivalent of 5 pieces of tinned pineapple per meal. Perhaps it was not enough to be noticable? It took a couple of days to "kick in" too.

Or you could just have a very determined sh12 eater! :love:

I do believe this is the case because she KNOWS she is not allowed, but still does it! By 5 pieces, you mean you give like 5 whole pineapple rings to a Cav per meal?

Yep, my new bully does it :love:

She eats her own and anyone else's too! In fact my poor dally is nervous about pooing near her as i shout at her and he thinks he is in trouble, so have had to stop.I really hate it!

She is 3 and was a kennel dog from a breeder, which is the excuse i was given, still gross's me out thogh.

While it may work for some, it doesn't work for everyone :love:

Or you could just have a very determined sh12 eater! :love:

I do believe this is the case because she KNOWS she is not allowed, but still does it! By 5 pieces, you mean you give like 5 whole pineapple rings to a Cav per meal?

No, not rings, five of the little pre cut wedges of a ring.