Becoming A Dog Trainer

I am not a dog trainer...but i am currently doing a course: Cert III in dog behaviour and training. Within that course one of the many things you learn is how to conduct dog obedience classes.

Im not sure if this is of any help, but it is a great course, only runs part time for 8 months :love:

I am not a dog trainer...but i am currently doing a course: Cert III in dog behaviour and training. Within that course one of the many things you learn is how to conduct dog obedience classes.

Im not sure if this is of any help, but it is a great course, only runs part time for 8 months :shrug:

Where is this through? NDTF or somewhere else?

I'm also interested in this matter. I'd like to know what kind of money dog trainers make (individual vs work for a school, have qualification vs not). It's something I'm passionate about but I don't want to take a big salary hit (OH would feed me to the dogs!).

I'm also interested in this matter. I'd like to know what kind of money dog trainers make (individual vs work for a school, have qualification vs not). It's something I'm passionate about but I don't want to take a big salary hit (OH would feed me to the dogs!).

Unfortunately, most of your average dog jobs are quite low paying.

Unfortunately, most of your average dog jobs are quite low paying.

Even trainer/ behaviourist? Oh well :thanks: there's always plan B: get filthy rich, quit the rat race & become a dog trainer!

I think behaviourists with a vet degree can earn some more (think they have a special name, someone help me out!) but I wouldn't expect to retire early on a trainer's wage. If you run your own business you might earn a bit more? If you can get in with a government agency or similar that handle service dogs, I believe there is more money in that.

depends. If you're in the capital cities you can expect to make a decent living off being a private business. My rates are on my website but I dont do it full time and I'm not in it for the cash. I know most trainers have another job and do the dog training on the side.

You can definitely make a living but it depends on what sort of income you are used to. The best money is within the detection dog industry to my knowledge or to be a veterinary behaviourist. Income fluctuates wildly when you work for yourself so although you may have a few weeks that are great, you need to be prepared for quiet times as well as putting money aside for sick days, any holidays you'd like to take etc.

yup if you can score a detection job within quarantine, customs, prison, army you're in good money, its all $50-60K plus

I dont really understand where some veterinary behaviourist fees come from. There's good and then there's hoping they teach the dog to poo gold nuggets afterwards for the price

Edited by Nekhbet

Vet behaviourists usually earn quite a decent salary Chran, but remember also that they will spend at least 7 or so years at uni before they start to earn. So you'd take a big salary hit for those years. Not exactly a way to get rich quick. :)

yup if you can score a detection job within quarantine, customs, prison, army you're in good money, its all $50-60K plus

I dont really understand where some veterinary behaviourist fees come from. There's good and then there's hoping they teach the dog to poo gold nuggets afterwards for the price

HOW DO YOU GET INTO THIS KIND OF JOB!

would love to do a job i enjoy and get to handle train dogs, i have searched the net, sent emails and they have just sent me useless material about the job role ! :provoke:

would love to do a job i enjoy and get to handle train dogs, i have searched the net, sent emails and they have just sent me useless material about the job role ! :provoke:

You generally need experience in working for those departments Nekhbet listed and then apply to become a member of there respective dog units.

Questions for dog trainers:

- How do you become a trainer?

- Who do you work for? Self employed or larger organization?

Being a dog trainer certainly isn't one that will allow you to afford all of those designer clothes and have expensive taste :thumbsup:

Variety of ways to become a trainer. I've done university education and also a dog trainers course. I have (as have most other trainers) furthered my knowledge through seminars etc throughout the years and I *would* like to do a further study course more into behaviour etc, but finding one that suits what I'm after is difficult.

I work for a larger organisation. I like this because like Cosmolo said - if you run your own business you can have busy times and then quiet times. So by working for an organisation, I get a salary, which means I can predict how much money I'm getting each month. It also means that I get to do a variety of things within my role, which I just love. I love that I can work in so many different areas and fields doing just what I love!

would love to do a job i enjoy and get to handle train dogs, i have searched the net, sent emails and they have just sent me useless material about the job role ! :birthday:

With a bit of good luck and a whole lot of experience. about 4 weeks after I landed my 'dream' job, I saw one advertised in customs as the chief trainer/ person running their breeding/training program etc. I had all the credentials and was so excited that it also included breeding also. The pay was quite a sizeable income and probably about 20k above what I was offered in my 'new' job. But alas, I felt that te job I had just started suited me better, so I'm staying put right where I am :cheer:

You just gotta keep your eyes open - they do come up - but you also have to remember, in these sorts of industrys, to have your foot in the door and working in another department or in another role is probably easier to get into a position once you are part of the organisation.