Training/obedience/agility Club Adelaide

jacqui835

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good fun training/obedience/agility club in Adelaide that I could start going to with my dog. We used to go every week in Sydney, and whilst we'll never be competitive (he still doesn't sit in the right position etc) it was a lot of fun for both of us and I would like to start doing it again. I think the working around other dogs was really great for him, and he had an absolute ball completing agility courses. Only thing is it would need to be one that offers classes outside of normal working hours - so late nights, or weekends.

I am also looking for one. I wish to take my new pup to obedience when he has had all vaccinations etc but we also have a 6 year old dog we wish to take along with us (a seperate class is okay of course). I would like something to set-up my pup for the future in (hopefully - if he likes it) Agility.

I hear that Gepps Cross (Grand Junction Road) offers a great obedience class, but it sounded to me like the traditional classes in the way of standing in a circle walking and heeling and sitting (no slip collars allowed)

Lots around Adelaide. Depends on your area, how far you wish to travel, available days/nights and what sort of training you are after.

Some clubs do Obedience, agility, flyball, etc. Others are more specific. Some are reward-based only with limited collar choice, others have the "if it works, use it" attitude.

Happy to help - most of my knowledge is north & NE of Adelaide if you are interested

Southern Districts Kennel & Obedience Dog Club is quite good. They train at Morphett Vale.

NewAmsStaff - I know that Victor Harbor is finally getting an obedience dog club. I know people down there who are very excited by that. I think they are just starting up now - but I don't have any details of name or location yet. Could be an option if you are at Strath - not really that far. Southern Districts would only be 30 minutes for you too

Thanks for the replies!

I live in Camden Park, but we used to travel about 30-45 mins to our old dog training club back in Sydney and will happily travel again for the right place.

I liked my old one because they seemed to have a "if it works, then do it" policy and helped people learn how to use tools properly.

I start my new job next Monday, so a club that trains outside of normal work hours and/or on the weekend would be ideal.

When I was first looking for a training club back in Sydney, I was told that because I owned a doberman, it wasn't safe for him to be off-lead under any circumstances, and never would be no matter how much training he had. I'm not interested in those sorts of places.

Going to check out the places you guys have linked now :)

I go to Para Districts Dog club and do obedience and agility. Obedience is Sunday mornings, agility is Friday evenings and there is also flyball on monday evenings.

Para have an "if it works, use it" policy - too bad nothing works on the naughty Husky. :) They have a whole range of different breeds of dog that go there.

Jaquie and diesel - if it is agility you are wanting to do - you are both within easy reach of the Agility Dog Club SA. They train Thursday nights and Sundays I think. They are at West Beach. Very very close to Camden Park. If you are in prospect and want to do obedience - would think that maybe the SAODC would be fairly close - especially to prospect - they meet at the south park lands.

Agility Dog Club train on Thursday nights down behind the airport and have new intakes monthly.

http://www.agilitydogclubsa.com/index.htm

SAODC Training agility on Wed nights in near the Victoria Park Race course but the dog has to have completed Grade 5 obedience. Obedience is on Tuesday nights.

http://www.sadogobedience.org.au/

ETA. I have been members of both clubs. I am a member of SAODC and do both agility and obedience with my girls (have been a member there for 10 years). I was a member of ADCSA last year and will probably rejoin there eventually again this year just not got a dog I can train at the moment.

Edited by ness

I go to SAODC (south parklands near corner East Tce and South Tce), They do obedience Tuesday am and night, and Agility on Wednesday nights.

You have to have completed Grade 5 (dog does stay and recall - despite the possum distraction), and dog has to be over 12 months old.

On agility night they are trying out a whole pile of new techniques vaguely based on the Greg Derrett Foundation and Susan Garret Foundation stuff, and it can be a little chaotic. Foundation class starts on the first Wednesday of each Month - weather permitting - you learn stuff like tug, and start- wait-go (start line stays) and some body awareness stuff - for the dog. Ie most of the stuff outlined as assumed/required for SG's success with one jump DVDs.

Then they split into a "fun class" with people running sequences on lead (eek) and beginners, which has some more of the stuff from foundation, and some sequencing depending who is leading, and a bit of handling stuff ie how to get dog to turn around a jump etc.

Most fun class - but you don't always get many runs - is "intermediate" for those nearly ready or just starting trialing - but not yet have novice title. It's mainly running a novice standard course. With some fun stuff like games night or split courses where there is a main course and a couple of practice ones. A lot of people who just like doing courses, but don't want to compete - do this class.

Once you get novice title then you can do trialing class, which lately has a jump grid (like Greg Derrett or Susan Salo) set up and a more advanced agility course set up. And not much actual instruction or guidance on how to do anything. Ie by then it's up to you.

There is also an agility club at West Beach. And another obedience and agility club at Mitchell Park - South side "Dover Gardens". the dover gardens website has a good list of all the obedience and agility comps that are on this year.

And I think there is another at Woodville and another at Port Adelaide - tho not sure if those do agility or not.

There is a mock trial in the evening at Gawler on March 12th... ie you can train your dog and use treats...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

What area are you in.

I would recommend my club, just depends how far south you are

Hi, just wondering what your club is? I am also on the Fleurieu Peninsula (Strathalbyn) and I have struggled to find anything decent in the area.

My friend goes to obedience classes in Strath on Tuesday nights. I don't know much about it, but I can get contact info if you want?

I go to SAODC (south parklands near corner East Tce and South Tce), They do obedience Tuesday am and night, and Agility on Wednesday nights.

You have to have completed Grade 5 (dog does stay and recall - despite the possum distraction), and dog has to be over 12 months old.

On agility night they are trying out a whole pile of new techniques vaguely based on the Greg Derrett Foundation and Susan Garret Foundation stuff, and it can be a little chaotic. Foundation class starts on the first Wednesday of each Month - weather permitting - you learn stuff like tug, and start- wait-go (start line stays) and some body awareness stuff - for the dog. Ie most of the stuff outlined as assumed/required for SG's success with one jump DVDs.

Then they split into a "fun class" with people running sequences on lead (eek) and beginners, which has some more of the stuff from foundation, and some sequencing depending who is leading, and a bit of handling stuff ie how to get dog to turn around a jump etc.

Most fun class - but you don't always get many runs - is "intermediate" for those nearly ready or just starting trialing - but not yet have novice title. It's mainly running a novice standard course. With some fun stuff like games night or split courses where there is a main course and a couple of practice ones. A lot of people who just like doing courses, but don't want to compete - do this class.

Once you get novice title then you can do trialing class, which lately has a jump grid (like Greg Derrett or Susan Salo) set up and a more advanced agility course set up. And not much actual instruction or guidance on how to do anything. Ie by then it's up to you.

There is also an agility club at West Beach. And another obedience and agility club at Mitchell Park - South side "Dover Gardens". the dover gardens website has a good list of all the obedience and agility comps that are on this year.

And I think there is another at Woodville and another at Port Adelaide - tho not sure if those do agility or not.

There is a mock trial in the evening at Gawler on March 12th... ie you can train your dog and use treats...

That sounds good, my dog would stay and come under just about any conditions so I'm confident he could pass that test, but does he need to have done a special grade 5 test/have a certificate or anything? He was in what was called the advanced class back in Sydney, I think it was yellow or white I can't quite remember but I don't remember any numbers...

When I say that we like agility, well I mean, he's not very good but what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in enthusiasm lol and it's just something we like to do together for fun. It's a bit sad but I just don't think he will ever be competitive, but we love doing it if they'll let us.

Jacqui - you could have two options at SAODC from what you have said - I would either go down and have a chat to them on a Tuesday morning or Tuesday evening and speak with the chief instructor or just go into the office and explain you have trained elsewhere interstate.

I know they have assessed dogs who have been trained at other clubs or alternatively have suggested people do a month of grade 5 and then do the assessment at the end of the month. There are club graduations in the final class of every month. .

Grade 5 is essentially a CCD level dog - so heel on-lead, stand for exam, a recall off-lead and a sit stay (~1min) and drop stay (~2min).

I do know they are willing to assess dogs who have previous training at other clubs. I know a couple were assessed by the Chief Agility instructor because they had trained agility at other clubs. They just want to make sure you have a dog under control who isn't going to be a problem.

If you have any further questions or do happen to come out on a Tuesday night to ask then I am normally over where they have the rings set up from around 6:30pm. Although my two dogs are normally in the car unless I am working them. I am also out on a Wed night again from around 6:30pm.

Edited by ness