Grieving Man Jailed For Stealing Back Dog

bulldogz4eva

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-au...3-1226014301946

A PERTH man who broke into a pound and stole his own dog after it was put on death row for a savage attack has been jailed for eight months.

Rocco Arfuso pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and stealing on August 4 last year and appeared for sentencing at Perth Magistrates Court today.

Chief Magistrate Steven Heath previously told Arfuso the difference between him going to jail or not was whether the dog, a Japanese akita called Kunza, was returned.

In a remarkable twist to the tale, defence lawyer Mark Andrews told the court today that City of Stirling rangers had seized what they thought was the fugitive animal but it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.

The innocent pooch remains in custody at the council’s pound while Kunza remains at large.

The court heard that the vet meant to euthanise Kunza stated it was the wrong canine because it had a different personality and markings, was older and was lighter.

“The real Kunza was a very large dog weighing some 50 to 60 kilos,” Mr Andrews said.

“It never wagged its tail and always stood on guard.”

Mr Andrews said the innocent dog was completely the opposite, with a happy disposition and always wagging its tail.

“The real Kunza remains outstanding,” he said.

After Mr Heath passed sentence, Arfuso maintained that it was his dog that had been seized and that he had never been asked to identify the animal.

Kunza was declared a dangerous dog in April after it mauled an elderly man’s hand and bit off one of his son’s fingers when he tried to help his father during the attack in Karrinyup.

Arfuso and two other men cut a hole in the fence and forced open a kennel door using a crowbar. The incident was captured on CCTV.

The dog was taken a day before it was due to be put down.

Mr Andrews said Arfuso built a “close relationship” with the dog after his fiancé died of an asthma attack and that a psychological report deemed him as impulsive, suicidal and unable to cope with poor reasoning ability.

He said his personality was plagued with anxiety and resentment.

“The dog helped lift a veil of depression,” Mr Andrews told the court.

He said the motivating factor in the crime was to prevent the Kunza being euthanised and that the great escape was an “amateurish way to recover the animal”.

“He doesn’t think like you or I,” Mr Andrews told the magistrate.

“I would urge you to reconsider a jail term as a last resort for the purposes of sentence to enable him to obtain rehabilitative intervention.”

Mr Heath said he accepted Arfuso’s “strong” relationship with his dog “given the tragic circumstances of your fiancés death”.

But Mr Heath said he deliberately embarked on a burglary and had done nothing to help recover the dog since it was taken while he was “on a path to self destruction”.

The City of Stirling said rangers seized the wrong animal after a “tip off” from the public.

A spokesman said the animal would undergo a behavioural assessment and would likely be adopted.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the evidence is correct, it appear this man was prepared to sacrifice someone elses dog to save his own.

Eights months in gaol is not enough.

I dont think thats what happened - I think the man rescued his dog - and further down in the news report you see that the other dog (the innocent one) was captured due to a 'tip off'.

If the evidence is correct, it appear this man was prepared to sacrifice someone elses dog to save his own.

It also says he had never been asked to identify the dog so he probably hasn't seen the dog they have impounded. He may think it is his dog.

I dont think thats what happened - I think the man rescued his dog - and further down in the news report you see that the other dog (the innocent one) was captured due to a 'tip off'.

Who phoned in the anonymous tip off?

Who else knew an Akita had been removed from the facility & was being sought by the authorities?

What would have happened if the vet had not realised it was not the same dog?

Call me sceptical, call me suspicious.

But I think Rocco knows.

Edited by wiseguy

There was a tragic case in Brisbane, years ago. A family's dog was found straying & impounded. (Dog had never hurt anyone).

But the family could not afford the reclaim fee & the dog faced certain PTS. That was years before there were groups who rescue from death row in pounds

The boy in the family (about 12 yrs old I think he was) took it on himself to try to break into the pound one night to rescue his dog. But his wire cutters snipped thro' a live electric cable. And he was electrocuted. This awful story had a big impact & hundreds turned up for his funeral.

While an anonymous donor sent money to the council so the family could get the doggie back. Which they did.

:thumbsup:

Firstly, his name is Kunsah, not "Kunza".

Secondly, Rocky, Kunsah and I lived together for years. He was my cousin's fiance. When she passed, he stayed and we were all more than happy to have him.

That dog didn't always belong to him. Funnily enough, Rocky bought him from the pound when his owner didn't want him anymore. We all know that dog had history; somewhat abusive at times.

Thirdly, about the wrong dog thing? I can't say much about that, not because I don't want to, but because I can't. The dog will not be put down. Rocky didn't condemn it either. He would never condemn another animal for his own benefit. He is an animal lover in its purest.

The vicious attack is not what everyone thinks. Our female Akita, Marley, was in heat during the time it happened. She's a smart cookie and managed to lift up the roller door enough for her to get out. She's tried it a few times before, so it was always kept locked.

Unfortunately, a friend had forgotten to lock the garage the night before which resulted in our smart girl opening it up.

It would have happened very early that morning, and we did not realise as we were all asleep.

Now, I said before that she was in heat. Kunsah and Marley were 'mates'. Wherever she went, he would follow.

BUT, this dog was not a 'vicious and untrained' dog belonging to a 'bad owner'. Kunsah would not eat unless given permission. He would not walk across roads unless given permission; he would sit, stay, 'talk', and lay down - and this could be done from yards away. How do I know? Because that's how he was trained. I did have a video of him doing such things but that video has since long been lost.

As for the attack? The dogs were out - yes. Is that our fault? Yes.

Should the elderly man have put down water and coaxed them to him? Water - perhaps. Coaxed them to him? NO.

No person should ever coax a strange dog. The elderly man then tried to grab Marley's collar, and Kunsah (remember she's in heat and he's very protective over her at the time), bit his hand.

The man's son then came out and from what we know, he grabbed and pulled at Kunsah. Does a dog see this as a threat/attack? Yes. What will any animal (and even some flight animals) or human do? They would FIGHT BACK. How stupid can people be to not understand this?

Both men were injured and we are very sorry. We apologised profusely and they accepted it.

Now, as for the rangers? From the very beginning they LIED to us. They lied and manipulated and spread bullshit. First the man lost 4 fingers, then he lost 2. Then he lost 3 and the fourth couldn't be re-attached.

Then the ranger said that they had to take in Marley because Kunsah couldn't be found. They said that she would be put down unless Kunsah was found because she was there, even though she did not attack anyone <- that's a LIE.

So Kunsah ended up in the pound, and Marley was released because we got very 'high up' people to have a word to these ranger bastards. We got Marley back half starved and in shocking condition.

Kunsah was now in the pound. He was not walked, groomed or washed for months and months. They would not let us, and I think they had a vendetta against us because we put in a complaint when we found him lying in his own feces because they had not cleaned the damn cage.

So there was Kunsah: unwalked, ungroomed, no human contact bar through the cage walls, stuck in a cage for months on end.

He was to be destroyed, so Rocky appealed. The day before court, the rangers brought in a 'dog handler' to assess him.

Now this grumpy fat woman thought it was appropriate to poke a stick at this unwalked, ungroomed, unhappy dog through his cage walls.

He growled. She then gave him a toy to play with. He didn't want it, basically ignored it.

He was deemed vicious immediately. She didn't even finish the test.

I think this was a very shifty move. They didn't notify us, letting us know they had brought in a handler. We would have immediately arranged one as well, so as to prevent this bullshit biased opinion by a woman who thinks poking a dog with a stick while he's in his cage is a good way to find out if the dog is dangerous or not.

The day of the case (I was there), the victims were also there and they were supporting us. They didn't want the dog destroyed at all, and the elderly man was in tears. The younger man who yes, did lose a finger unfortunately, spoke to me personally and apologised for what had happened and told me he supported us the whole way through.

We had a bloody retarded lawyer that day. He was an imbecile and stuttered the whole way through. He reminded me of that rat/human thing off Harry Potter.

We lost the case. Appealing would have cost $20,000, of which we couldn't afford.

That was a dark day for us, as it would have been for any dog owner that treated their dog as they would any family member.

That night, Rocky took his dog back.

So, I'll repeat this again: Any dog that feels threatened or feels he/she is being attacked will fight back. It's the way dogs are.

One other thing: The dog in the pound now is apparently the wrong dog. Rocky says it IS Kunsah. This strange dog is apparently very social, very friendly and will be rehomed.

Now if it IS Kunsah (the vicous, unrehomeable dog deemed dangerous), then they need to sort themselves out, considering they deemed him dangerous and to be destroyed.

Whether it is Kunsah or not - the truth will eventually come out. Until then, I say nothing more.

Would a bad dog owner send himself to jail to save his dog's life?

Thank you for shedding light on the case.Thats why I did not comment becuase its hard to pass comment without the facts.Personally i think it was a bit harsh to give him 8 months but obviously they wanted to make an example of him and dont like to be made fools of.Thats the system.

Thank you for shedding light on the case.Thats why I did not comment becuase its hard to pass comment without the facts.Personally i think it was a bit harsh to give him 8 months but obviously they wanted to make an example of him and dont like to be made fools of.Thats the system.

Kunsah will be destroyed, no matter how much we argue the case. There's been a hell of a lot of support for Rocky from the public. Some people even called him a hero.

Now that he's in Jail, I'm going to do my best to expose the Stirling rangers. They are evil people. I've never known anybody to be as evil as they are.

I've never known anybody to lie and manipulate and twist the story around (and take it that far) for their own benefit.

You've no idea the hell we went through when we tried to get Marley back.

I can't express the emotional and psychological damage this has done to Rocky, our family and myself, to know that these people can get away with it because they are the government; the law. I can barely eat, I rarely speak, I'm so down that I'm literally just about out of tears, so just think about how Rocky feels.

Rocky has lost the only thing he ever truly held dear to him, the one thing that brought him joy since his fiance died. He would have given his life for this animal. He would have done anything for Kunsah, and he did. He lost his freedom trying to save his best mate.

Breaking into the pound was wrong in the eyes of the law.

Rocky did the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Some may call exposing the rangers as "futile"; a waste of time. I don't know how I'll do it, but I'll try.

I hope that anyone else who feels they have been wronged by the 'government' will take a stand against them.

Prodigium, why hasn't this side of the story been told to Today Tonight or one of the other current affairs programs? Rocky's family should be given the chance to bring some balance to the issue.

This is from the MDBA Pacers home page. I don't know if this situation fits under their banner but could be worth asking. They may know someone who could either help with an appeal or your case against the rangers.

Words cannot express my sorrow for what Rocky must be feeling right now.

Prodigium, why hasn't this side of the story been told to Today Tonight or one of the other current affairs programs? Rocky's family should be given the chance to bring some balance to the issue.

This is from the MDBA Pacers home page. I don't know if this situation fits under their banner but could be worth asking. They may know someone who could either help with an appeal or your case against the rangers.

Words cannot express my sorrow for what Rocky must be feeling right now.

I've just finished sending an email to one of the people from Today Tonight that is working on a story about what has happened.

I'm doing what I can, but I don't know where to start. I'm not sure I can afford a lawyer.

I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to fight the case considering Kunsah is under Rocky's name.

Thank you for the MDBA Pacer website. I'm contacting them straight after I post this reply.

I still hope we have a chance to save Kunsah. It's a very small chance but with the help of Today Tonight, and the help of anyone willing, we could give this dog a second chance.

And knowing Rocky and how it's so badly affected him, we could also be giving his life a 'second chance' as well.

Thanks again for your kind words, and thank you (even more) for not condemning Kunsah without knowing the facts.

So, I'll repeat this again: Any dog that feels threatened or feels he/she is being attacked will fight back. It's the way dogs are.

No, some dogs will freeze, and some will try to escape. Some will vocalise in different ways and some will snap.

Biting people's fingers off is not the just 'the way dogs are'. Not many dogs will ever do that.

No, some dogs will freeze, and some will try to escape. Some will vocalise in different ways and some will snap.

Biting people's fingers off is not the just 'the way dogs are'. Not many dogs will ever do that.

"Biting people's fingers off is not just 'the way dogs are'. <- I don't believe I ever said it was?

Perhaps it would have been better for me to have written "...he/she is being attacked will DEFEND itself. It's just the way dogs are".

I do believe when a dog freezes, tries to escape or vocalise (for help, perhaps?), it is an act of defense.

Just as a human would freeze when a knife is held to their throat, scream for help when they are being assaulted or try to escape when they are being chased. Although, does that not constitute fighting for their life if the person (or dog, in this case) feels threatened?

"snapping" is also a defense. He did what he did to defend himself.

I had a SWF that was a loving little dog. However she slipped through a fallen paling in the fence(I was not home) and got out. My neighbour 2 doors down tried to catch her as we lived on a main road. He got her, but had 2 good bites to the hand in doing so. She was so freaked out with the traffic and all these people trying to catch her. He called me at work and I came home and collected her. His comment was that he was glad I didnt have a pitty x (as he had 2) pointing to my SWF on the couch with his dogs...the bites would have been worse. He was good natured about it all, he just wanted to save the dog from the dangerous place shed put herself in, he knew she was just frightened. Dogs do act differently in strange situations....I really dont have a comment about what is factual about the story above I have read ( maybe after seeing both sides put their case forward)...I will watch the story with interest. Just wanted to comment on the probability of a dog snapping when frightened, and consider that the size of the dog may have become subjective here.

Thanks for giving your side. Unfortunately, your account of the conditions in which the council kept the dog, the way they manipulated the situation, and the way they "temperament tested" him all rings true. Ultimately of course if the dog was contained, none of this would have happened, but nonetheless, I do sympathize with you all and I totally understand what Rocco did.

Edited by Lo Pan

redangel - I can understand and although I'm dismayed, I am not surprised or angry that you still question my side.

Although I wish there were more people out that could empathise not just with Kunsah, but at how the rangers completely screwed us over; the absolute hell they intentionally gave us.

You ought to hear what Marley's owner had to go through to get her back.

Rocky's Uncle was on the radio a few days ago, and after the public that heard his accounts of what happened, Rocky received an incredible amount of support.

On a website, a person said (and I quote) "Interesting to hear this chaps Uncle on the radio today, certainly gives light to the entire incident, and not just the councils 'version'. Suggest the media bring all the evidence to light here. Going on what the Uncle had to say this morning, I'd now be interested to hear from the victims who have said they didn't want the dog destroyed. From the Uncles radio discussion today with 720am ABC, I support this man now!!"

So that's what I'm trying to do. I am unable to give our side of the story in court anymore (although with the help I've sought, I could quite possibly do so), so I'm telling those of you OUR side of the story. The story that no one got to hear. The story that the media is now interested in.

But I'm also doing it because I want people to know how corrupt the government can be... and if I am able to fight this case and win, and EXPOSE the Rangers for who they are and expose what they DID, even if Kunsah is destroyed, then I have done something good.

Lo Pan - "Ultimately of course if the dog was contained, none of this would have happened".. we think about that every day. We often think about where we'd all be if it never happened. One tiny mistake can cause so much heart break. It can cost a dog his life and a man his freedom.

So I hope anyone that reads what you just read, and reads my reply to it, will really double check and make sure their dogs are contained and safe.

I know that Rocky cannot get his dog back at the moment, but if I were able to, I would do everything I could to make sure this never happened again.

A lesson can be learnt from our story.

I don't care how many reasons you give for this dog's behaviour.

The dog attacked someone trying to catch it and its bite amputated another man's fingers. That to me indicates an absence of bite inhibition that make this dog unsuitable to be in any community.

You have to think beyond your understanding of the dog and deal with the possible consequences of any further escapes. The dog is dangerous to strangers.

Nothing you do will change that.

Bullshit. Most will retreat. The threshold at which a dog 'fights back" and the damage it does vary widely. Most dogs snap or don't bite down when defending. This dog was at the extreme end of the scale. Oh and by the way freezing is regarded by many dog professionals as precursor to serious acts of aggression. Its red flag behavour that sadly isn't recognised as such by many folk. I don't think they should pay with surgery and loss of appendages for their mistake but that's just me.

On this forum we often wonder about the background of such dogs. Perhaps you could shed some light?

How old was dog?

Did it atttend any puppy or training schools to be socialised outside of its family?

Was it desexed?

Was it allowed inside?

Edited by poodlefan

The dog attacked someone trying to catch it and its bite amputated another man's fingers. That to me indicates an absence of bite inhibition that make this dog unsuitable to be in any community.

You have to think beyond your understanding of the dog and deal with the possible consequences of any further escapes. The dog is dangerous to strangers.

Bullshit. Most will retreat. The threshold at which a dog 'fights back" and the damage it does vary widely. Most dogs snap or don't bite down when defending. This dog was at the extreme end of the scale. Oh and by the way freezing is regarded by many dog professionals as precursor to serious acts of aggression. Its red flag behavour that sadly isn't recognised as such by many folk. I don't think they should pay with surgery and loss of appendages for their mistake but that's just me.

On this forum we often wonder about the background of such dogs. Perhaps you could shed some light?

How old was dog?

Did it atttend any puppy or training schools to be socialised outside of its family?

Was it desexed?

Was it allowed inside?

Fair enough, blast me with your opinion, oh Dog expert. After the stupidity of the last 'dog expert' that deemed him dangerous, I rarely take into consideration what any acclaimed 'dog expert' has to say. Including you.

Your opinion is like everyone elses - an opinion.

"most dogs snap or don't bind down when defending" - bear in mind that he did bite the first man. When the second man came to 'confront' the dog (i'll put it nicely), that's when things got bad. And where are your statistics for this? Are they YOUR statistics, or are they taken off a website? Is your opinion based on what you've heard?

HOWEVER, it is the victims' word against the dogs' word. They could have been shooing them away, or throwing sticks at them to scare them for all we know - but unfortunately dogs are unable to share their side of the story.

All I have to say to you is that this dog was bought from the pound because his owner could not afford to look after him.

We took him in and gave him a loving home.

He had access inside and outside at all times. If no one was home, he had big, open and cool downstairs area/garage to rest in.

He was not desexed and you can call us horrible, bad owners all you like. I couldn't care what you thought.

He didn't attend puppy schools because when we got him, he was not a puppy. Young, but no puppy.

He was socialised quite often with other dogs.

When we flew in Marley (a puppy at the time) from the eastern states, they were fantastic with each other.

So you can throw your opinions and views around all you like - but you do not know the dog.

You cannot know the mentality of every dog. You cannot claim that MOST dogs would flee.

This dog is not MOST dogs. It is A dog. A unique dog, just like every f***ing dog is unique.

As for him being dangerous to strangers? We've had many friends come over that he had not known. Not once did he bite.

He did not bite the rangers when they dragged him away.

He did not bite anyone after he was stuck in a cage for months which, as you MUST agree, would be very detrimental to his mentality.

It seems you need to think beyond your understanding of all dogs.

Edited by Troy

How old was dog?

Was it desexed?

Was it allowed inside?

Fair enough, blast me with your opinion, oh Dog expert. After the stupidity of the last 'dog expert' that deemed him dangerous, I rarely take into consideration what any acclaimed 'dog expert' has to say. Including you.

Your opinion is like everyone elses - an opinion.

"most dogs snap or don't bind down when defending" - bear in mind that he did bite the first man. When the second man came to 'confront' the dog (i'll put it nicely), that's when things got bad. And where are your statistics for this? Are they YOUR statistics, or are they taken off a website? Is your opinion based on what you've heard?

HOWEVER, it is the victims' word against the dogs' word. They could have been shooing them away, or throwing sticks at them to scare them for all we know - but unfortunately dogs are unable to share their side of the story.

All I have to say to you is that this dog was bought from the pound because his owner could not afford to look after him.

We took him in and gave him a loving home.

He had access inside and outside at all times. If no one was home, he had big, open and cool downstairs area/garage to rest in.

He was not desexed and you can call us horrible, bad owners all you like. I couldn't care what you thought.

He didn't attend puppy schools because when we got him, he was not a puppy. Young, but no puppy.

He was socialised quite often with other dogs.

When we flew in Marley (a puppy at the time) from the eastern states, they were fantastic with each other.

You cannot know the mentality of every dog. You cannot claim that MOST dogs would flee.

This dog is not MOST dogs. It is A dog. A unique dog, just like every f***ing dog is unique,.

As for him being dangerous to strangers? We've had many friends come over that he had not known. Not once did he bite.

He did not bite the rangers when they dragged him away.

He did not bite anyone after he was stuck in a cage for months which, as you MUST agree, would be very detrimental to his mentality.

So you can take your bullshit opinion and shove it up your arse, oh know-it-all.

It seems you need to think beyond your understanding of all dogs.

The dog's word? Really?

It seems you need to think beyond your knowledge of one dog - and that you did not know it as well as you thought you did. Did you know this well trained loving animal had the capacity for aggression it displayed. My guess is not.

Listen up. In most serious dog attacks the dog conforms to a profile. Young, not well socialised as a youngster, male and undesexed. Often it performs a guarding or hunting role. Breed can play a part. This dog appears to fit the profile Add the presence of a bitch in season and you had all the ingredients for serious trouble. It seems in biting two people the dog was not protecting itself but acted when the bitch was taken by the collar. So all your words about dogs acting in self defence didnt' apply at all. The dog itself wasn't under direct threat at all. It was prepared to act out in its interests, not its defence. Its interests lay in defending a bitch in oestrus.

You didn't witness the attack. You don't know how it went down. Yet you defend a dog you describe as a paragon of canine virtue for maiming one person seeminly acting in its interests and another who went to his aid. Nice work.

Dog aggression and human aggresion are very infrequently linked. It doesn't matter how good this dog was with other dogs. Perhaps if you spent less time on the insults and more time reading about dog aggresson you might learn something. Any ranger who went near this dog without a catchpole needed their head read.

This attack did far more than cost a dog its life and a man his freedom. My sympathies lie primarily with the people this dog's actions affected MOST. Perhaps you might at least acknowledge the impact on the victims of the attack rather than blaming them for it.

Go do your homework on precisely how a dog has to bite to remove fingers. That's rear molar work and there's nothing warning at all in that kind of bite. That's meaning serious business.

The whole point of collecting information on serious dog attacks is to prevent them. There were red flags all over this incident. Maybe if you learn what they were, you can prevent another dog, another owner and more victims from suffering the same fate. Start with the book Fatal Dog Attacks and count your blessing this wasn't one.

No one wins in these situations. No one. I may not be the "expert" you sarcastically refer to me as but I know enough to know that this dog is not one I'd like to see loose in my community. I can appeciate the owner's grief for his dog but the dog's actions placed lives at risk. Reflect on that before you dust off more insults please.

Edited by Troy