Puppy Survives Being Put Down

My Dog Rosie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...n-dumpster.html

Meet Wall-e, the three-month-old puppy who miraculously survived being put to sleep and now has a new leash on life.

He was one of a litter of pups found abandoned outside the animal shelter in Sulphur, Oklahoma. A veterinary surgeon decided they were too sick to survive and put them down.

But although Wall-e was declared dead by the vet, the puppy had other ideas and the following morning Animal Control Officer Scott Prall heard whimpering coming from the dumpster where his body had been placed.

When he looked inside, he found the puppy wandering around.

'He was just as healthy as could be,' Prall told News9.com. explaining that Wall-e was named after the earth's only survivor, a waste-collecting robot, in the 2008 animated film of the same name.

Local vet Amanda Kloski, from the Arbuckle Veterinary Clinic, took him in, and when his great escape story found its way onto Facebook, the clinic was inundated with calls from people wanting to adopt him.

'He needs a really special home because he's really special,' said Kloski who was today deciding on which home would best suit Wall-e.

Campaigners claim there would have been no need to put to sleep any of the the puppies if Murray County had a better animal shelter, and are trying to raise enough money to build a bigger facility.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...l#ixzz1FUENwPXu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...n-dumpster.html

Meet Wall-e, the three-month-old puppy who miraculously survived being put to sleep and now has a new leash on life.

He was one of a litter of pups found abandoned outside the animal shelter in Sulphur, Oklahoma. A veterinary surgeon decided they were too sick to survive and put them down.

But although Wall-e was declared dead by the vet, the puppy had other ideas and the following morning Animal Control Officer Scott Prall heard whimpering coming from the dumpster where his body had been placed.

When he looked inside, he found the puppy wandering around.

'He was just as healthy as could be,' Prall told News9.com. explaining that Wall-e was named after the earth's only survivor, a waste-collecting robot, in the 2008 animated film of the same name.

Local vet Amanda Kloski, from the Arbuckle Veterinary Clinic, took him in, and when his great escape story found its way onto Facebook, the clinic was inundated with calls from people wanting to adopt him.

'He needs a really special home because he's really special,' said Kloski who was today deciding on which home would best suit Wall-e.

Campaigners claim there would have been no need to put to sleep any of the the puppies if Murray County had a better animal shelter, and are trying to raise enough money to build a bigger facility.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...l#ixzz1FUENwPXu

Good for little Wall-e but how sad for all those other pups, to deem them too sick to survive and then have one of them survive a needle for euthanasia really makes the vet sound incompetent. I wonder if he ran out of the drug and just thought he would dump it with the rest and it would pass away over night..... all those pups should have been given a chance its disgusting.

Good for little Wall-e but how sad for all those other pups, to deem them too sick to survive and then have one of them survive a needle for euthanasia really makes the vet sound incompetent.

Totally agree... how can he be too sick to live, but survive his 'illness' AND the euth needle, to go on to be healthy enough to be adopted?

Poor things... makes you wonder...

Can't imagine how traumatic it must have been to be wandering around amongst the dead bodies of your littermates and most likely, other dead animals...

I'm glad this issue has highlighted a need for better resources - hopefully something else good will come out of it.

Actually, often its the sicker ones who take longer to pass than the healthier ones when being pts, because often their body isn't functioning as normal so it takes longer for the lethabarb to travel through the body.

It is just a GA, but very concentrated, so if he didn't give enough it's possible the pup could go to sleep and then wake up, like it's had a GA.

By the sounds of it, they were possibly skimping and using very, very little. But still sounds strange

what gets me is the fact that they put the euthanised puppy in a dumpster!!!! FOR GODS SAKE!! thats awful!! horrible!! i mean - i understand they cant bury every dog they euthanise but a bit more of a humane way to 'get rid of them' would be nice!!!! ffs. thats dispicable.

not all shelters use drugs to euth dogs. If the dogs heart had stopped from lethabarb there's not coming back from that.

Not so sure about that - when I was nursing we had multiple birds. rodents, wildlife come back to life after inj to heart and vet declaring them gone and more than enough of the green dream was supposedly adminstered. Can't explain everything. Thank god it was never a dog or cat - don't think I could have dealt with that, but then all dogs and cats were put in the freezer until they were picked up to be cremated - the birds etc weren't.

not all shelters use drugs to euth dogs. If the dogs heart had stopped from lethabarb there's not coming back from that.

Not so sure about that - when I was nursing we had multiple birds. rodents, wildlife come back to life after inj to heart and vet declaring them gone and more than enough of the green dream was supposedly adminstered. Can't explain everything. Thank god it was never a dog or cat - don't think I could have dealt with that, but then all dogs and cats were put in the freezer until they were picked up to be cremated - the birds etc weren't.

OMG so some of the dogs and cats could have woken up, then gone on to freeze to death :D

OMG so some of the dogs and cats could have woken up, then gone on to freeze to death :D

They probably would not wake up as their system would shut down from being so cold before they had a chance to wake up and freeze to death.

with a litter of pups he probably thought he pts and wouldnt have known the difference unless he seperated them as he PTS,

that stuff will work even if not in a vein will take longer but the result will eventually be the same

what gets me is the fact that they put the euthanised puppy in a dumpster!!!! FOR GODS SAKE!! thats awful!! horrible!! i mean - i understand they cant bury every dog they euthanise but a bit more of a humane way to 'get rid of them' would be nice!!!! ffs. thats dispicable.

Unfortunately that is all their lives do come down to. When I was a teenager I worked at the RSPCA on weekends but only lasted a couple of weekends as I could not handle seeing all the PTS animals piled up in a bin outside. I could not come to terms with healthy animals being put down nor the undignified way they were just piled into a bin. In the time I was there I had walked many of the dogs that were later seen in this bin and all had lovely temperments also any pets PTS by the vet for whatever reason were added to the bin which I'm sure would distress many owners further if they knew.

Most owners who dump their pets or leave their pets in those establishments dont give a rats, and wouldnt care if they walked past the bin either.

At the time I was there the vet also dealt with the general public so some of the pets would have been much loved pets too sick to help too. Back then there wasn't pet creamation options and it was illegal to bury pets in your yard so I'm guessing that the vet would not release the bodies anyway. This is going back about 36 years ago and alot that we take for granted now was not available then including some medical options for our pets.

Hope they find a true forever home for this little dog, but it is still so sad for all those others that don't get a second chance. :laugh: