What Do You Do With Your Dogs

dandybrush

I have the largest possible crates I could buy and my two girls are in the family room when I'm out. Outside or in the family room when I'm home. We move alot, so this is something that's stable for them. Also, we can't alter the fences that much and one digs and the other jumps - as soon as the car leaves they'd be outta there. They love their crates and even when they have run of their half of the house, you'll find them snoozing in their beds. One I crate trained from a puppy, the other at about 2yrs of age due to trying to destroy everything in the house. I, like you, am too afraid they will be stolen or let out/get out if they are outside. It wasn't hard to get them crate trained, they get fed in there and they have doona's to sleep on :wave:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is in the yard when I go out. She's fairly intimidating looking and rather loud, so you'd be pretty brave to try to steal her (not that she'd necessarily do anything to someone who came into the yard - although anyone brave enough to try to steal her would have to deal with me if I ever caught up to them!) :wave:

nice set up there oso :thumbsup:

I have to take a pick axe to a patch of gravel, which I am not really looking forward too, then shovelling some more bluemetal then some rubber seals - need to get my bum into gear really :)

Our dogs are generally in the backyard when we go out, but lately they have had some sudden fascination with trying to escape, so there has been a combination of them being crated in their bedroom and outside time (and a daytrip to nannies house when I was worried about them at work last week!)

Bailey stays in the crate indoors if we're out not longer than 3 hours. Longer than that and he has the run of the house downstairs and the front yard through a doggy door. He can't see outside the fence and nor can outsider see the yard, so that actually helps in regards to theft as they actually can't see what breed is he.

We choose to keep Bailey in a crate indoors if we're out for no longer than 3 hours as we're worried he might bark and disturb the neighbours. We check with our neighbours regularly and they say he does not bark much but since we're on a rental property, we figured we might as well be extra careful. Plus, Bailey enjoys his crate. :thumbsup:

Esky used to be inside whenever we were out, since I was so paranoid about the front fence being shorter than the rest. I tried fencing off the area too, but, it wasn't easy to fence off so that plan failed too.

Our new place has a totally secure backyard. Tall colourbond style fencing, it can only be accessed by coming through the house or by the garage door. Esky spends time when we aren't home out there now. She seems really happy. There is plenty of shade in the garage, a shaded patio and porch, and a decent sized grass area for zoomies

We have purpose built kennels but very rarely use them, when we are out they are in the the laundry which is very large, soft beds, wall fan and their own aircon they think life is good.

kiramon sounds like you have a good system too :hug: sounds like you have happy crated puppies

star - same, anyone would have me to deal with too!!

Thanks Dandybrush - we had to do it early when our lovely girl Kira ate a mattress, pulled up the carpet etc.... now we have a 5mth old and the dogs are happy to be out of her way too, but still get to interact with her. I LOVE CRATES :cry: It also means that when we travel, our dogs are welcome with nearly all our friends and family as they can be there without taking over houses and are let inside if they are in their crates. Happy dogs, happy holidays and a very very happy home.

Our boy stays in the yard - I've built a run with kennel ect.. my only worry now is cane toads, up until recently if we were going out of a night he'd stay outside ( I hadn't even thought of the toads) He's only 9mths old so this is our first summer/cane toad season with him and I came home the other night to see him chasing one and for all the world about to chomp down on it.

Now I'm worried sick about leaving him out at night - he's an inside boy at night when we are there, I guess a little bit of trust might be needed of him and let him stay inside while we're out - we'll trial one night and see if we come home to anything destroyed (I'd much rather that than a prone dog on the floor).