What Do You Do With Your Dogs

dandybrush

Our 2 are out in the yard area when we are out and generally have the choice of inside / outside when we are home. They are both crated in the bedroom overnight and watching them trot happily off to their crates at night makes me wonder why I never discovered crate training before :rofl: Our yard is very secure and really hard to access from the street so they are quite safe.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My girls are inside the house when I'm not home.

I am always worried that Ruby would fence-run and bark at the neighbours and that Lilly might get a cane toad. And of course with Molly being so tiny, I am a bit worried that she would squeeze her way out somehow.

I do separate Molly from the other two. I have baby gates everywhere. :rofl:

When I buy my own place, my plan eventually is to build a secure patio type enclosure. It will have solid walls to chest height with opening windows and security screens plus a lockable security door. I think some artificial grass at one end on a concrete floor would be most practical and they could have a choice of soft beds and hammock/trampoline style beds too. A fixed bucket and bowls for water. A solid roof. Ceiling fan/s for cooling in addition to the windows. I could even petition it off so that dogs could be isolated from each other if needed. I'd also have power points so they could have music and a DAP diffuser plugged in. Having a concrete floor would mean I can give them bones without worrying about the mess it causes.

all out in the back yard if gone longer than an hour or so, 2 loose, 2 in the dog run (separated). If I am only gone for a short time the configuration could be anything :rofl: inside, outside, some in, some out, some behind baby gates, one in the crate or all loose in the house. Depends on how I am feeling, how the dogs are behaving and the weather!

my OH is paranoid about someone stealing Scarlett. We have people across the road who kinda creeped us out with their interest in her. We have locks on out gates and keep our garaged locked. The only way someone could get in/out would be to jump our 6ft fences.

Scarlett is crate trained but where she goes depends on the length of time we'll be gone as well as time of day, weather etc. If it's less than 4 hours or night time, she'll stay in her crate (which is in our bedroom). If it's longer during the day she goes in her run outside which gives her access to the laundry and under out deck in case of bad weather. If it's stormy we rearrange her run so she has access to the deck.

Someone is usually home at my place (4 adults, 1 teenager) and our 4 dogs are never locked inside, they have access to up/downstairs and outside 24/7 via doggie door. Nobody so much as walks down the street without being barked at so I doubt it'd be worth trying to break in or take one of them. :rofl:

I am in the process of crate-training Carl for when my girlfriend stays over so there's more room in the bed. If need be he can be crated during the day, but as all he does is sleep I am happy for him to have free roam of the house.

Hey,

Our 3 BC's have the run of the yard when we are out, unless we have workmen coming around. Then they are left in their runs for the day and the guys can let them out when they go.

If one is injured and needs crate rest then they can all be crated inside, but we try to avoid that as there is the potential for them to be locked up for 10 hours.

I wouldn't worry about Raz being stolen, but it pays to have options for when they do need to be confined and then you can use them for other reasons as well.

Hope that makes sense.

T

My girls are both outside during the day with access to the laundry with a doggy door. We're so close to our neighbours though and they both check on the girls through the day and will keep a closer eye on them if we ask them to. Our back yard isn't accessible from the back (you'd have to climb over the shed) or from the front (you'd have to go through the neighbour's front yard and then over a locked gate) so I'm not worried about them being outside. Plus the fact that my older dog is a fully grown Husky does help because she tends to be a bit of a deterrant just because she'll bark at everyone who comes in the yard even though she'd be more scared of them than they are of her.

For those that live on rural I noticed that quite a few of you mentioned snake proof fencing..

We will be moving out rural in a few months and browns and red bellies are my biggest fear for my two dogs ....

We will be organising to fence a couple of runs on the porperty but i would be very grateful if I could please have any advice on snake proofing mesh/fences before we buy the fencing or if there is a link to that topic.

Also is worth buying the snake propellers as an extra precaution.

Sorry to hijack... thanks in advance...

For those that live on rural I noticed that quite a few of you mentioned snake proof fencing..

We will be moving out rural in a few months and browns and red bellies are my biggest fear for my two dogs ....

We will be organising to fence a couple of runs on the porperty but i would be very grateful if I could please have any advice on snake proofing mesh/fences before we buy the fencing or if there is a link to that topic.

To be perfectly honest it is near on impossible to completely snake proof any yard or fence, however there are things you can do to help reduce the likelyhood of it happening.

You can buy snake and mouse mesh which snakes cannot get thorugh so I put that around the bottom of the fence. It is buried around 3 inches into sharp bluemetal rocks which I am told snakes do not really like to go on as they are not a natural rock, due to being man made, they have sharp edges and the snakes do not like going over them - not sure if it is true but I am using it anyway. I have rubber seals around the gates.

My dog runs have snake mesh now to the roof after I squished and killed a tiger snake in the TOP of the door just above my head after I walked through it! I have also gone around with expanda foam on any of the gaps I could around the top of the bricks.

I have had two larger snakes( a foot or two long) and a couple of baby ones in the dog runs in over 10 years.

I have been told the only way to build anything remotely snkae proof is to have colour bond concreted at least 60cms into the ground(to stop mice etc digging holes underneath) 6 feet high and all gates in frames that shut tightly into angle iron frames. Have nothing near the fence a snake could climb, or overhanging such as trees.

To be perfectly honest it is near on impossible to completely snake proof any yard or fence, however there are things you can do to help reduce the likelyhood of it happening.

You can buy snake and mouse mesh which snakes cannot get thorugh so I put that around the bottom of the fence. It is buried around 3 inches into sharp bluemetal rocks which I am told snakes do not really like to go on as they are not a natural rock, due to being man made, they have sharp edges and the snakes do not like going over them - not sure if it is true but I am using it anyway. I have rubber seals around the gates.

My dog runs have snake mesh now to the roof after I squished and killed a tiger snake in the TOP of the door just above my head after I walked through it! I have also gone around with expanda foam on any of the gaps I could around the top of the bricks.

I have had two larger snakes( a foot or two long) and a couple of baby ones in the dog runs in over 10 years.

I have been told the only way to build anything remotely snkae proof is to have colour bond concreted at least 60cms into the ground(to stop mice etc digging holes underneath) 6 feet high and all gates in frames that shut tightly into angle iron frames. Have nothing near the fence a snake could climb, or overhanging such as trees.

Thank u so much OSoSwift.... if it means putting in every snake precaution known to man I will...

I had thought that to be the case that you can't proof 100%..... we are so excited about moving onto a 5 acre property ( only decided since we got the dogs !!) so they can have more room but the only downside is the snake issue.....

Other than keeping them inside whilst we are at work.... which we could do now that I am thinking about it in the danger months as we have a large 3 car plus garage... I am right in thinking the worse months are from early summer - Nov to Jan?

We already have a great run in place on the property which is a large circular shape and has very high hurricane fencing which we could put a tarp across for shade and padlock the gate for security whilst we are work - I will also look into using mesh proofing and bluemetal rocks ... But now I am thinking we may have to snake proof the top as well - especially after your tiger snake incident - OMG I would have died of shock.

I hate hate hate snakes - I was hoping that the run fence was too high for them to climb - its about 8 metres high but I guess if they can climb trees :laugh:

OSoSwift do you know if those snake repellers work - the ones that send out vibrations through the ground as I was thinking of surrounding their fenced area and run with that...

Thanks.....

Sorry not 8 metres - 8 feet !!!

Edited by Double Lab Love

Guest Willow
willow its funny what we do to keep our furkids happy :laugh: you sound like a great furkid mother :laugh:

Damage control ;) If we don't give him access to the windows, he will go straight through closed doors, and rip down the venetians to see. Once he's go to the window, he's ok.