Training Confusion

zorroandbig

sounds like a spoiled Min Pin ... I know a couple that are not readily touchable or that pull this kind of behaviour. My aunt has one that hates being touched and when you do she screams like a stuck pig. Nothing wrong with her at all, she just squeals ... until you have food she wants then she'll harass you like a blowfly

Zorro are you in NSW or Vic? Steve is in NSW

Edited by Nekhbet

sounds like a spoiled Min Pin ... I know a couple that are not readily touchable or that pull this kind of behaviour. My aunt has one that hates being touched and when you do she screams like a stuck pig. Nothing wrong with her at all, she just squeals ... until you have food she wants then she'll harass you like a blowfly

Zorro are you in NSW or Vic? Steve is in NSW

Ooops i meant Erny from Pro K9 in Berwick VIC

Sounds like one very spoilt Min Pin to me, this started from when he was with the breeder. None of my pups are allowed to bite like that, some may mouth but this is discouraged from a very early age. I know of a few like this too Nekhbet, although small they certainly have an attitude. At 5 months he is no longer a baby really, he knows what he wants and knows how to get it. Biting is not something they grow out of.

Anky

nope, no dog really 'grows out of' magically. If you want to stop biting you stop it on the spot. Dogs dont learn skin is delicate, they learn through consequences that biting is not acceptable behaviour, thats what bite inhibition is.

alpha rolling is pointless, you need to TRAIN the puppy to do what you want it to do. Even trainers who use the alpha roll don't recommend using it until the dog is an adult

Really? Did you know it can be incredibly dangerous to one day just alpha roll an adult dog showing this type of behaviour? I know plenty of trainers who scruff and pin pups/young dogs who decide to take a chunk out of people. If its all you do its incredibly pointless, but if you catch the little brat in the midst of really bad behaviour, scruff, pin, roll in one quick movement and then let them up and show them what the right thing is, it is useful. BUT either way these people need a professional hand to help with the pup.

So my friend recently brought home a lovley Min Pin pup. Something must have happened to this dog when it was with the breeder. I say this because from the day they brought it home it has harrassed thier older dog despite her protests and size(pulls her long hair, bites her), Humps people, toys, and the other dog. It is extremely food possessive and will Bite, has bitten numerous times. Also hates being held will attack if held against its protests, attacks if it is taken away from its toys

Why blame the breeder ?. :laugh:

I bet the pup did not DO it at the breeders. :mad

It's up to your friend to control and discipline their dog.

Who is the boss the dog or the owner.

Always remember they were bred for ratting are more inclined to be

Terrier like than a Toy breed. :(

And before anyone goes pointing fingers I know the breed very well. :)

now he's being "rewarded" with something that isn't a reward in his mind (Touching and praise). Which seems to be reversing some of the training.

So this dog would perceive touching and praise as "adversives" so using them when he's doing what they want will actually decrease his likelihood of repeating the desirable behaviour ie they're punishing him for being good so he's going to be less good. Ie behave worse. Which is what you describe is happening.

Does he like chasing toys and playing tug? That might work better ie using a game with a toy mouse on a string for a reward. And food. And you can get tugs that hold food ie bait bag tugs.

I got Erny's business name muddled up with Steve's when I first got here too. I like what Erny writes so I reckon that would be worth a try.