Training Treats

Sooky

Hi, don't want to spend a fortune on treats for training my pup what is the best thing to use??

Thanks in advance :D

it is all going to be trial & error to find a treat that your dog both likes & can stomach, they need variety so don't just get one sort of treat, mix them up so the puppy gets variety

My two are cheap – they get their breakfast (Royal Canin kibble) as training treats on Sunday mornings. They love them! But we also give them chopped up apple, devon, low fat cheese and varieties of Schmackos just for fun. Still, they're both so food-motivated that they would be happy with just the kibble.

Happy Paws Training Treats are THE BEST EVER. I seriously never thought Id get my two beagles to loose lead - happy paws are the best. When the parcel comes I have to hide it from them so they dont destroy it. They are so good when they know we are training with them! I think a doler makes them too...?

http://www.happypawstreats.com.au/home.cfm

linky above :D

Happy Paws are expensive though as regular treats :D .

To make things stretch further, I use the liver crisps from petswarehouse.com.au ($4.95 for 100g and you can break them up into teeny tiny pieces). They are all natural, no additives and 10% of profits go to Monika's Rescue.

I also use their dry food as "treats" - ie I make them work for every bit of food they get. I use Black Hawk - again, no artificial additives.

I also roast fresh meat (lamb and chicken) and chop into tiny pieces. Less than 50 g of lamb gets me through agility training for two dogs.

Edited by megan_

Happy Paws Training Treats are THE BEST EVER. I seriously never thought Id get my two beagles to loose lead - happy paws are the best. When the parcel comes I have to hide it from them so they dont destroy it. They are so good when they know we are training with them! I think a doler makes them too...?

linky above ;)

Wow so many to choose from!! will order some soon :D .

linky above :D

Yep, GSD4EVER I think Lynne's username is. They are awesome, but expensive for regular treats if you're training every day.. i always keep some on hand though, so i can vary things up ;) My boy doesn't want to work for his dinner, he'll just spit it out... so thats why i do things the way I do.

We don't use much in the way of dry treats anymore, as the dogs tend to choke on them! Not real choking, just inhale them and cough it up for another go. Kind of disruptive during a training session, though. Doesn't seem to happen much with soft treats, so at the moment it's 4Legs rolls cut up. Maybe a bit of cheese or roast meat. Boiled heart for recall treats. Or we have some little Whitebait that come out as recall treats.

I've been using the Coles ham & chicken loaf roles for years and the dogs enthusiasm for it has never waned and it is cheap :D I prefer moist treats that the dogs can quickly scoff on the go while training, I don't want to wait for them to crunch some dry stuff to continue with an exercise.

Edited by FHRP

I used "human food" for my pup it's often cheaper and better for the dogs than commercial treats, and you'll be sure to get your pup's attention.

Depending on what your pup likes some big hits in my house were roast chicken, sausages or hotdogs (which are great if it's hot as they'll keep in your pocket) cheese cut in little cubes, biscuits in small doses, apple bites... it's good to have different treats in hand as they might loose interest if it's the same treat all the time...

Good luck

Zero gets devon roll or ham and chicken roll when we're out training and as the occasional training treat at home. He happily works at home for kibble but I want to up his enthusiasm when we're out and have something special for him.

I've been using it for years and Zero's enthusiasm for it is still fantastic!

Oh - devon is also known as fritz or polony depending on what state you're in. I have to call it polony to my dad or he has no idea what i'm talking about (he's in WA).

Oh - devon is also known as fritz or polony depending on what state you're in. I have to call it polony to my dad or he has no idea what i'm talking about (he's in WA).

:laugh: My OH is Canadian and he didn't know what devon was either. He sniffed it and said it smelled like hot dog meat.

For training classes and on walks (high distraction) I use cheerioes, cheese, kabanas, ham etc. Something really yummy. For training around the house I use commercial treats, which is usually either cat treats, puppy rewards (love 'em is the brand I think) or the liver treats that you break into smaller pieces.

For my puppy I can also use his dry food, but my adult dog won't work for her regular food.

Cheap Cocktail Saveloy's and Plain Label Footy Franks cut into small thin bite size rounds.

Freeze them and use them when needed.

Oh I never thought of doing that!! :laugh:

I like using devon but it always goes so manky!

For training classes and on walks (high distraction) I use cheerioes, cheese, kabanas, ham etc. Something really yummy. For training around the house I use commercial treats, which is usually either cat treats, puppy rewards (love 'em is the brand I think) or the liver treats that you break into smaller pieces.

For my puppy I can also use his dry food, but my adult dog won't work for her regular food.

I also use cheerios, cheese and kabana. Anything sausage like is great as you can cut it into small pieces. Left over saugaes from a BBQ are great! I cut them up into pieces and freeze them. My dogs like ham and chicken but I find when I am working they are alittle small and i may loose a finger (I have a lab who sometimes fogets about being gentle in the excitement of it all).

I uses these high value treats for training class and when at home learning new things.

I also use the Skinless, American Frankfurters, I buy them in packets of 6 at Coles or Woolworths. When I bring them home I cut the sausages up into small pieces, and freeze in individual snap lock bags. I find this way, I can just grab a packet from the freezer.

Edited by freundhund