Invisible Fencing?

mumof5

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=79864

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=26002

It usually involves an electric collar for the dog, and a wire or sensor system that triggers the collar if the dog gets too close. And you MUST train the dog to understand what to do when it gets zapped or it may panic, jump the fence and bolt ie the exact opposite of what you want to achieve. The systems usually come with instructions about how to do this.

And the electric collars are illegal to use in some states of Australia.

And there is always a risk of a dog being strangled by a collar that won't break off the dog.

Thanks Mrs rusty bucket for the links - an interesting read.

We are only allowed rural fencing.... and I know our BC pup will be able to jump it if we put it up...... I wonder if i should be able to train her not to leave our property without us????

None of this is an issue at the moment - i will be home with my 2 youngest till june and littlte peaches just sleeps on our deck cause she is so exhaused from walks and play... but i want to be prepared so just looking at potential options :(

I wonder if i should be able to train her not to leave our property without us????

Not easy..and definitely not the safest.

I would suggest you build a secure run , and get her used to it now , as her 'home ' -with a cosy kennel, toys, digging pit ... then you can go away and know she is safe- both from escaping, and from other dogs getting into your yard and fighting.

We are on a rural property, and I had 2 GSPs to contain. I built a run for night and when we weren't home, and used the invisible fencing when we were home. Can't emphasise enough how important following the training guide is, as I could see it all turning bad if you didn't. However, it was fabulous at keeping our dogs in our house block, and we eventually got to the point where we could leave them in it without going in their runs through the day.

I think it works well when there is additional fencing, which is what we did. They can't just 'take a deep breath and run for it'. To get through even rural fencing they need to squeeze, slide, dig or jump. This gives extra time for the warning beep to kick in. I recommend using it.

We have invisible fencing and I love it. :( I agree it is best to have it with 'normal' fencing. We have one open area where the gate is and one of of my dogs would take a run up and jump as he went through. :)

I know there are mixed opinions about it as the dog get a zap. However if the training is done and it is with exisiting fencing, after the training the dogs should never recieve a zap again. I think a small zap when being trained is a far better outcome than being hit by a car.

Thanks Mrs rusty bucket for the links - an interesting read.

We are only allowed rural fencing.... and I know our BC pup will be able to jump it if we put it up...... I wonder if i should be able to train her not to leave our property without us????

None of this is an issue at the moment - i will be home with my 2 youngest till june and littlte peaches just sleeps on our deck cause she is so exhaused from walks and play... but i want to be prepared so just looking at potential options :(

While Borders are more than capable of scaling a 7' fence, most never discover this fact. Many Border live happily contained within rural fencing all their lives and never show any inclination to jump it. Ring lock combined with bird/rabbit wire is sometimes all they need. Some jump up and down, higher than the fence but never think to jump over it.

If, however, you do have a jumper or climber, it is wise to look at additional options. An enclosed dog run, electric fence or invisiable fence could be considered.