After Desexing

giraffez

My dog got desexed yesterday and i notice his penis keeps sticking out (the red thing). Is this something to be concerned about? It retracts in by itself but i am finding it is sticking out more often than before the procedure.

I can't say i've noticed my boy leaving his 'lipstick' out more after he's been desexed.. If it's going back in, then I don't think you've got anything to be worried about. My boy does it when happy, excited or just because.. I have a beautiful photo of him running on the beach.. and if you look closely, you can see it sticking out :banghead:

The most likely explanation is that he is uncomfortable. He has just had a reasonably large operation, and he is not healed. Also his stiches may be a little tight.

Unless he has difficulty retracting his penis, or difficulty urinating, I wouldn't worry. Talk to your vet when you have the stitches removed - in about 8 days.

Our male dog had an operation recently and had to wear an Elizabethan collar. Because he wasn't able to lick this area it was very dry and his "lipstick"also got stuck. I mentioned it to the vet on a follow up visit and she used KY jelly to lubricate the area. The things we have to do for these boys!

Chase was the same after his desexing op. Nothing to worry about! Although he always seems to stick his out 'just cos'. I am always catching him licking that area numerous times a day! Then try and give me kisses :hug: the worst is after he has licked it, he manages to catch me unawares and get me in the mouth- ew!

Guest english.ivy

Male dogs are funny!

Badger rarely has his out so when it is out :confused:

Why we're talking about male dog willy, why don't they put their lipstick out to pee? Badger is my first ever male dog so I'm new to everything he does!

Chase was the same after his desexing op. Nothing to worry about! Although he always seems to stick his out 'just cos'. I am always catching him licking that area numerous times a day! Then try and give me kisses :confused: the worst is after he has licked it, he manages to catch me unawares and get me in the mouth- ew!

:laugh: Thats happening to me too! lol

I noticed the sac that used to hold the testes now look a bit deflated (like loose skin). I didn't noticed that in my older dog when he got desexed. Will the loose skin shrink in the future? I think it irritates him when i touch it - it has a bit of scrape on it so i was trying to clean it. Never used to bother him when i was touching it to feel whether both testes has descended

Oh... and doctor's orders no jumping or fast movements for my pup.... but he gets so excited when he sees me (especially when i come home) he will jump up... i try to put him down but he still jumps up. How can i discourage that? Its driving me insane.

My older dog is also constantly trying to lick the wound of the puppy who just got desexed.... how can i discourage that also?

Edited by giraffez