First Time

nightgrace6

Hi :laugh:

My puppy is coming up to 12 weeks and I want to start taking her to shows.. I was wondering if anyone knew of any show handling classes or trainers that can help me out here in Adelaide?

My breeder is in Victoria and whilst she can give me advice she cannot coach me in person (my first time showing) I just want to be extra prepared and to make sure I am doing things right. I have been to a couple of shows to observe but that is about it.

I have done a quick search but whereas other cities have quite a few options it seems that here in Adelaide I am fairly restricted.

TIA

Thanks for the reply!

I have a dobermann puppy, she is 11 weeks so she is not really allowed out yet.. I live in the Eastern suburbs (Toorak Gardens) but I am willing to travel wherever I have to to get help.. She is hugely energetic so I want to start with stacking asap, I am just a bit lost at the moment..

:)

On the first and third Thursday of the month, the Rottweiler club holds show training at 8:15pm. It's held in the city just off North Terrace. There's a map on their website: http://www.rottweilerclubsa.com.au/index.php?id=60#details

That's the one that we go to, and the next session is this Thursday. It only costs $3 and you just need to bring your vaccination papers when you start (so I'm assuming you'd have to come to the one on the 7th of April seeing as she's not fully vaccinated yet).

There's a huge range of big and small dogs that go - I have a Lapphund who's 15 weeks, and the last class we had a Dalmatian, a St Bernard, a Shiba Inu and a Lhasa Apso (I think that's what she was, I can't really remember).

Thanks alot whisked away.. guess I will see you there in April.. I was hoping there would be someone that can come to your home and help you as I was hoping on entering my girl in the show on april 3... does anyone have good online links re stacking and show?

Also I sound really daft and its probably very obvious but how do I "enter" shows, are there forms? or a special way of doing so? I've had a look on dogssa and I am a little confused.

Thanks so much.

Thanks alot whisked away.. guess I will see you there in April.. I was hoping there would be someone that can come to your home and help you as I was hoping on entering my girl in the show on april 3... does anyone have good online links re stacking and show?

Also I sound really daft and its probably very obvious but how do I "enter" shows, are there forms? or a special way of doing so? I've had a look on dogssa and I am a little confused.

Thanks so much.

assume you are already a member of dogssa - you need to be to be able to enter shows.

If you are a member, you would be getting the journals each month with each show's schedule in it. these give you the information you need to enter. There are forms that you need to enter each show and Dogssa will sell you a book of those. (SA doesn't do online entries yet but there is an electronic version of the show entry form around but not on the dogssa website. I can't find a link right now to one).

You need to have your dogs's registration number and kennel name, the numbers and kennel names of its sire and dam and your membership number to put on each entry form.

The entries for the show on the 3rd April actually close today - so not sure you will get your entry in on time for that one.

ooo - found a link... try this. Suggest using the word format one - you can put your dogs details in, save it, then just adjust it for each show you enter.

http://www.doverdog.org.au/?page_id=33

Welcome to dog showing Nightgrace6.

Firstly, don't over train your puppy. You want her to enjoy it at all times or you will end up with a bored dog. Babies are allowed to be less than perfectly behaved in the ring.

To practice stacking her, look at photos of other dobermans and try to emulate how they are stood. A mirror or reflection in a window is a handy tool. Also you can practice baiting her into free standing by using food or a toy. Try to get her to 'walk in' so she is standing 4 square, and very attentive.

At the end of each session give lots and lots of praise. Whether at a show, running around a park, or training on the road....my dogs always came home believing they'd won Best In Show.

Good luck with your baby.

sent you a pm...

also - echo Zeppole's post.

Would suggest coming out to the next couple of shows at SACA (without your little one of course, until she is vaccinated and past the two-week safety period). Hang around ring 6 and chat to different people and watch what is happening. You'll pick up quite a bit.

Hi all thanks a lot for your suggestions I will be at the next rotty show training class next month as she is 11.7 weeks old and she had stitches out today and her vet gave her her 12 week shot... so 2 weeks. :hug:

I would absolutely love for anyone that has any free time that shows dogs or just knows the ropes to come to my house or alternatively I can come to you, to be taught how to stack my dog etc.. I have a bit of time off at the moment and then its straight back into work with late night tafe and uni through podcast, so I really wanted to get a bit done at home with her during this last week... She can sit drop stand etc but she is a bit mouthy at the moment so I keep it short and sweet as I do not want to bore her but I do not feel like I am getting anywhere.

If anyone wants or knows of anyone that could help me out (kind of like a tutor) I would be grateful! I am willing to pay $30 for half an hour or $50 for an hour. Any time this week, on the weekends or after work hours Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks!