Health Guarantees

janeses

I have a puppy out of my recent litter who i am selling as a pet on limited register as well as will be desexed prior to going new home. I have potential buyer for puppy and she sounds just ideal. She has asked if my vet will be able to provide a written guarantee of health? as well as has asked if that guarantee of health be included in the purchasing conditions? (ie some breeders offer refund if congenital heart, hip or sight problems appear)

I have no problems with this as i test my breeding stock etc but have never been asked for a health guarantee before? But then i don't breed very often. Would love to hear on people thoughts.

All your vet could do is sign a certificate saying the pup was in good health at x amount weeks of age, they cant give a person a health guarantee for the life of the dog.

I offer refund/replacement guarantee's up to one year of age with every puppy i breed. I have however replaced anyway when a dog passed at 3yrs of age as i didnt feel 3yrs was a fair amount of time for his owners to have him and then lose him.

Without a crystalball anyone would be foolish to give a health guarentee beyond the animals current health at that time. Even with health testing none of us can guarentee that health issues won't crop up no matter how hard we try to aliviate them and I say as much to any of my pupppy buyers. While we can offer replacements in some circumstances in our contracts, or even in good faith without a contract this is not really the same thing and one would have to be wary of the legal implications of giving a health guarentee for the future.

The vet wont give a health guarantee, but should give a certificate of health - at the time he examines the pup.

I have been giving a health guarantee for the past - oh - 20 years. It guarantees that if the dog suffers from any hereditary problem, I will either refund or replace. If the dog is over 8 years, the refund or replacement will be partial. I must be told immediately any signs are apparent, and I have the right to have the dog examined by a vet of my choosing. And I will not pay vet fees, my liability is restricted to refund of purchase price.

My rationale is this - if I had known the pup would develop x or y, I would never have sold it. I might have given it away, or I might have PTS depending on what the problem was.

Because the dog develops a hereditary problem when the new owners have it, makes no difference.

I explain it very carefully.

I have replaced once, and refunded once. One dog had a non-hereditary problem, but died, and my rule kicked in - if I had known, I wouldn't have sold the pup .... and he was only 14 weeks old. I wouldn't like that to happen to me, and the breeder to say "too bad, your loss".

Having a proper guarantee also solves any problems of vexatious litagants, where there is nothing wrong with the dog, but they decide to sue for $10,000 - or to sue for any expenses they have run up. I don't mind being fair, but I expect them to be fair too.

The guarantee needs to state exactly what it covers.

I also think that this is good for all registered breeders, if the dog goes wrong, there is someone there to pick up for the owner - and I do health test my breeding stock, so don't expect much to do wrong. However, luxating patellas can be hereditary or acquired

Edited to add - I would be VERY careful of anyone who wanted a health guarantee. I would like to know why they want one, as in my experience, few genuine buyers want this. there are some very difficult buyers out there (just read this forum), and even though you are doing the right thing, you need to protect yourself against them. I would investigate more closely anyone who wanted a health guarantee.

I realise that sounds strange, as I give a guarantee, but believe me, you can still have loads of trouble.

Edited by Jed

Im pleased the buyer has asked bout health but as for a guarantee?

No vet can guarantee health, but she shoudl take the pup to her own vet for a check-out as part of purchasing it.

Id state that parents health tests for heriditary problems were done, and if pup develops a HEREDITARY problem then there is a come-back for her, such as replacement pup or refund of purchase price.

Can you imagine if she wants it to cover everything, such as parvo? eating bones? tics?

TBH ive never come across someone wanting a guarantee, they only want to know if the parents have been tested.

I think the buyer just wants some sort of guarantee she wont be 'left in the dark' if something does happen, but thats down to trust, she might be one relationship you need to nurture, not to become BFF but one where she can trust you alittle..

good luck!

Bit tricky trying to be fair & ensure that buyer has reassurance & that you are not at risk of the unreasonable.

My puppies go with a written vet check. It ticks off a list of what has been checked like ears, teeth, heart, patellas etc & states pup is on good health & condition.

My health guarantee says that if the pup develops a genetic/ breeder related problem that has an adverse affect on their health in the 1st 12 months that they can return pup for a full refund.

If condition will respond to treatment & pup can be kept & is well, up to all but a small part will be paid to treating vet.

I also do the 6 week free pet insurance to cover any accident/general.

Anything else I would negotiate but it is hard to put that in written form as fairness must work both ways.

Test results PRA, parents yearly patella checks, are shown to buyer.

To give what this owner wants they would also need to follow all the guidelines you believe are crucial in your guarantee working.

When our pups go we encourage the owners to get a vet check within the first 48 hrs with there chosen vet & i would say nearly all our buyers do this

We supply a diet sheet that we now works very successful within our breed & we have highlighted if they wish to change it or the diet isn't working to contact us.

Obviously some puppy buyers chose not to follow our advice,they believe what the vet sells must be "right" & we have read on DOL many a time people suggesting diets with out understanding the special needs some breed needs without understanding the long term consequences that can result.

Our dogs are all health tested & the reports are given in the paperwork,we do everything that we can to ensure a healthy pup is sold BUT we emphasis the importance to the new owners that what they do also plays a major factor in a health guarantee

Our buyers are told well before committing to the breed & a pup the health issues that are there ,what efforts we have gone to but in some area no amount of testing can tell you the future.

We also hand out or suggest web pages for them to read up prior getting pup etc etc.We make sure our pet owners have educated themselves because that is part of the deal.

When people collect our pups we go through each page of our puppy book to ensure they have seen & understood what is in there,normally where possible they get the book beforehand so they can ask questions if need be & they have to sign in the contract that they have read the book & fully understand the info listed.

Your wording is very important

I agree with Jed be careful

Thanks everyone for your replies... I will be thinking about health guarantee heaps before i show the new owner. The new owner seems a lovely person, done a lot research into the breed.

Thanks again

Without a crystalball anyone would be foolish to give a health guarentee beyond the animals current health at that time. Even with health testing none of us can guarentee that health issues won't crop up no matter how hard we try to aliviate them and I say as much to any of my pupppy buyers. While we can offer replacements in some circumstances in our contracts, or even in good faith without a contract this is not really the same thing and one would have to be wary of the legal implications of giving a health guarentee for the future.

I dont understand this way of thinking....we need to know what health issues crop up in our puppies....so without giving a health guarantee we would never hear from the puppy buyer if something comes up. A guarantee simply says to the puppy buyer that you being the breeder are standing behind what you breed....specially when using outside dogs and parts of the pedigree are unknown you need to know if health issues come up for your future breeding programs....and who wants to be selling sick puppies? Puppy buyers are entitled so some sort of guarantee from the breeder....for some families buying a registered purebred dog is a major purchase.