I Am Over It

megan_

Thanks- I knew the crazy dog ladies would understand :-).

I am at a loss what to do. My previous safe place is safe no more. When I tell people she has issues they don't care- she is small so she will always come off second best. That or it is her problem if she has issues and their dog will " sort her out".

She hasn't had a decent wall with me since Thursday. I take her Ou twice a day but we every time their have been unruly off leash fogs. I understand why people are pushed to PTS da dogs( she isn't in any danger of that, don't worry).

I think I need to make her a rottie suit and then people might think twice about letting their dog harass her.

Busy roads are your friend. Only the seriously stupid will walk a dog offlead along one.

I must live around the seriousley stupid as thought i would be safe on a main road but we got attacked by a rotweiller off leash and everyapday i see ahole owners walking with no lead. There is an idiot around the corner whom takes a hunting dog (and hes firing it up and training it for it) off lead through the streets and to our local playground where kids are playing. i hear you when you say nowhere is safe anymore.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree kitkat, some owners treat their dogs like a bait on a stick. 'lets see if the BIG dog will retaliate..' and if it did, they would scream bloody murder.

I've had a swf hanging off a wolfhound's face like a tick, owner screeeeching it was being eaten, poor wolfhound desperately trying to get it off his face !!

off lead, aggressive little dog, just lucky it picked my gentle boy.

I often wonder if there are people who wander around trying to find ways to make an easy buck by litigation using their poor dog as the 'innocent victim'........

fifi

Not sure were you live Megan but I've found Lilydale Lake pretty safe. I've only met 1 dog off lead in the on lead bit in 6 years.

Ta that is far but it is a weekend walk option. The only other place where I feel safe is the botanical gardens when they open.

Yes I totally get where you are coming from. You try and do the right thing and there is always some idiot there to stuff everything up.

Have you got any light industrial suburbs near you? This was the only place That I could walk Bindi, without the fear of meeting an unleashed dog .

I dont walk Georgea ;) I had too many bad experiences with unleashed dogs. With her being so little, I just wont risk it.

So now I just go to public places like the Foreshore at Newcastle. Markets. I dont even do obedience with her anymore because of the d**kheads that do not control their dogs. :confused:

We do alot of training at home to keep her mind occupied and she travels in the car alot to visit family. Not ideal but atleast I can keep her safe. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: some people are unbelievably stupid... even near busy roads.. during the busiest time.. no recall whatsoever, just came running towards me. and they tell me "don't worry she only wants to play" coming from someone who has no control of the dog... like really?

ETA: where about are you megan? the carlton garden doesn't seem to have that many offleash dogs.. most times I go, I don't even see any dogs.

Edited by spitzbaby

This is why I always carry a stock whip when walking dogs. Cracking it deters most dogs but if they keep coming they get to find out what it feels like. Unfortunarely it isn't legal to carry a tazer or a gun but either would be better.

It should not matter if a park is onlead or offlead, there is never any excuse for letting an offlead dog run up to an unknown person or dog without it being invited to do so. The law states that even in offlead parks the dog must be under effective control and that means being able to call it back from approaching any unknown person or dog.

Lucy hates the water with a passion! I once spilled a drop near her- she almost landed on my head. I think shed think I was torturing her if I tool her to a pool. It is really her weekday walks that are an issue - she does lots on the weekend but I am a strong believer in at least 1/2am hour of walking every day. We haven't been able to have that lately and I'm just cross at the world!

Does your dog like swimming megan? I take mine to the pool sometimes, it's a relief just to be able to book it for myself and know no other dogs will bother us there!! :confused: There's two in South-Eastern Vic.

can you tell us where it is? :rolleyes:

Dogs In Motion

Woofpurnay

I haven't encountered any dogs off lead at Banksia Park in Heidelberg/Kew when I've walked there, that's not to say there aren't any, but I find it much like Lilydale Lake.

Lilydale Lake if you walk left and go over the boardwalk, then turn left at the end of it onto that backstreet, there is a second wetlands and walking track about 200mts down the road, that area is also all on lead.

When I go to onlead places I expect just that.

One of my dogs doesn't like to be rushed. Nothing pisses me off more than people who feel that it's ok for their dog to be off lead in an onlead area for *insert what ever reason, has a good recall, is sociable, this is the only place I can train my dog off lead without others bothering it :rolleyes: My dog has a good recall and is sociable on a loose lead (which is taken away when he's rushed which creates the problem, as I have NFI if the dog rushing is friendly.

Oh crap, I completely understand where you are coming from Megan. It's taken a while to find some good places for me and my dog, but every now and again some selfish bastard ruins it. I'm nowhere near you, so I cannot help with location ideas. I tend to choose places where you can see people coming, it gives me a bit of warning, but I do venture out to nicer areas where the risks are minimal or sometimes I get a family member to come with me (just makes it easier when it all goes to shit) I do tend to choose open spaces, rather than suburban streets, but I have few tried and tested street routes when we feel like it.

I have often thought how wonderful it would be to hire someones empty, private field/paddock for an hour or two. Just to go exploring on a long line in a new environment. :confused: It's my idea of heaven.

As for fights, I had a doozy with a women once. I asked her to call her dog back, my dog doesn't like other dogs. No response. I asked with more urgency and volume, my dog will have a go at your dog. Nothing. Dog was well and truly on it's way over to us. I step in front of my dog ready to try and scare it back to the owner. I get accused of 'trying to kick' her dog. And get called a bitch. :rolleyes: I'm sure I would've been popular if my dog had decided to latch on to hers. Under some circumstances I would bloody well kick too. At the time, I would've like to kick the silly lady.

One thing is for sure. I'm not very polite anymore - I gave up being polite. I ask once and it's pretty direct. And then I yell. Most of the time it is something along the the lines of 'Bullshit, put your dog on a lead!!!' in response to, 'it's ok, my dog's friendly.' 'he just wants to say hi', 'my dog will sort out your dog', 'oh, yours is only small, it's ok' ... blah, blah, blah. And then there are other times where you don't even bother because the owners are hundreds of metres away and seemingly completely oblivious to the drama unfolding.

Its getting ridiculous how many of these threads are popping up- its obviously not just me who is finding that the number of illegally offlead dogs has climbed to outrageous levels. :rofl:

On our jog this morning, Honey and I were heading home down Oxford st (for those that dont know, this is a very busy thoroughfare - even early) at about 7am and I was forced to stop and go down a side street due to an offlead medium sized black dog. It spotted us coming and made a beeline, exhibiting dominant posturing. I put Honey behind me and yelled NO at it several times before its owner came around the corner and called it back and walked on, looking at me like I was an idiot! ;)

WHY WHY WHY do owners think that is ok?? Offlead AND dominant posturing??? :rofl:

If it had've come closer I would have kicked it and abused the woman for her idiocy.

I agree calling the ranger is the way to go and I'm all for it, but often its just a random dog that will be gone by the time the ranger gets there. :D

Edited by dee lee

:love: I'm sorry. What a horrible experience.

I know how you feel. I go to walk my boy on lead down our road (he used to have fear agressive issues most of it is under control now but that's besides the point) and our d**khead neighbours leave there fence open where there dogs are running free in there yard and as soon as they spot my boy they come charging at us!!! :) There staffy x thing tried to bite Jet! I was so friggin angry I shooed the strange dog away and ran back to the house with Jet still onlead besided me.

I was so proud of my boy though. No reaction out of him at all and he stayed calm when I was stressing about the situation. It could of been much worse and it seems like nearly everytime I am out enjoying the outdoors in public with my dog there are idiots around.

Thanks all.

Dee lee - I agree, it is outrageous that you can't walk down the street without encountering an off leash.

I tried to take the guy's number plate but it was missing.

So I've decided that I'm going to book a meeting with my local councillor and mayor and try to address the bigger problem of no law enforcement in my area (I have walked my dogs twice a day for 3 years and have never encountered a ranger enforcing dog laws). It might not help, but I feel that I need to do something constructive. If that doesn't work I might have to take the "pain in the arse" approach until they do something just to shut me up.

Lucy's reactivity has greatly decreased, but this is due to management by me. Everytime these things happen she goes backwards.