How To Stop A Dog From Cutting The Corner In The Broad Jump Exercise

Hi

As the question suggests..how do I stop a dog that cuts the corner when doing the broad jump.

She pretty much does everything else for the exercise except that she cuts the corner.

Any suggetion is appreciated

Throw a toy directly out in front of where the dog is sitting on the other side of the jump and tell her to getit, or place a toy on the ground a couple of metres away from the broad jump and tell her to get it OR

Place a post a step away of where she would land when she does the broad jump and teach her to run around the post before presenting.

We placed a pole on the ground on the high side of the jump to teach her to jump bigger before turning also we mixed up the training and more often than not as i told her to jump i took off running so she was always wondering is this the time i take off or turn.

I have seen other people place an onstacle so dog has to go around it to get to you worked for some but not my girl.

Practice the broad jump on the other side...ie you stand on the left. Means the dog is not continually landing on the right shoulder...one of the reasons I hate that particular exercise.

Another solution....change to change of positions :hug:

I think you could teach it like 2x2 weaving, starting with "two poles" and having an arbitary reward line so the dog enters where you want and gets rewarded along the imaginary line where the jump would be, at right angles to an imaginary string line joining the two poles.

And then you add two more poles to make the square and only reward when the dog goes in where you want and out where you want. And set it up so it looks like the competition. Reward along the line the dog should be travelling when they get it correct. Always practice the setup as it is in competition - ie you're standing square to the jump and the dog must jump from your left to your right. And once the dog is jumping the direction you want, try to reward for enthusiasm and speed, ie a dog going fast, is less likely to walk on the planks.

If you're doing agility, only reward when the dog goes in at the end that you point and jumps correctly. I guess it will be up to the dog to notice the alignment of the planks. I try to set my dog so she's running towards the jump and reward for jumping the jump as it is in front of her, straight. Ie I have to travel in a straight line past the jump and I can't turn (to signal her to change direction) until she's landed. I have seen the occasional dog do some very strange things to the broad jump, including tippy toeing between the planks.

Hi

As the question suggests..how do I stop a dog that cuts the corner when doing the broad jump.

She pretty much does everything else for the exercise except that she cuts the corner.

Place a small tile or similar on the ground about 1.5metres from last board, make sure it is in the middle. Sit your dog up close to the first board, stay your dog, place a small yummy treat on the tile, go to your correct position and direct the dog over the jump when its head goes down to the tile, click and finish. Build it up from that, you will not need food, and you will not need the tile. I say the word "mark" instead of over. :happydance:

Hi

As a matter of interest - what arm are you using to signal "over" or how are you signaling over?

I think you could teach it like 2x2 weaving, starting with "two poles" and having an arbitary reward line so the dog enters where you want and gets rewarded along the imaginary line where the jump would be, at right angles to an imaginary string line joining the two poles.

And then you add two more poles to make the square and only reward when the dog goes in where you want and out where you want. And set it up so it looks like the competition. Reward along the line the dog should be travelling when they get it correct. Always practice the setup as it is in competition - ie you're standing square to the jump and the dog must jump from your left to your right. And once the dog is jumping the direction you want, try to reward for enthusiasm and speed, ie a dog going fast, is less likely to walk on the planks.

If you're doing agility, only reward when the dog goes in at the end that you point and jumps correctly. I guess it will be up to the dog to notice the alignment of the planks. I try to set my dog so she's running towards the jump and reward for jumping the jump as it is in front of her, straight. Ie I have to travel in a straight line past the jump and I can't turn (to signal her to change direction) until she's landed. I have seen the occasional dog do some very strange things to the broad jump, including tippy toeing between the planks.

I've had one agility trial where the broad jump was at quite a nasty angle for the 600 dogs (was easier for the smaller dogs due to less planks, so less of an angle and more space/time to adjust), coming from a very fast section, going towards the finish. It was our only fault and otherwise would have been our first Open Jumping pass :happydance: I have been wondering about the best way to teach approaching the broad jump - not much time is spent on that at training.

Just place a plank of wood the lenght of the broadjump, place it on the jump to the right hand side, also a pole placed at the end of the jump(once again, the right hand side) and just watch your hand signal too.

With my toller, I taught him separately to run around a small garden stake. Also, separately, I would throw food back and forth over the BJ to introduce that to him.

I then combined the 2 and put the stake out from the BJ. I then faded the stick by cutting it down. He always focused ahead on the BJ which is what you want.

I don't have much experience with agility but could you block the area where your dog is cutting through so it doesn't have the option to. It worked for my dog when I was training her to walk across a ladder, she kept walking on the side of the ladder not the actual steps, so I put cans up both sides of the ladder so she had no choice but to walk on the steps, I set her up to win. She learnt pretty quickly that walking across the ladder on the steps got her treats.