Share Your New Arrival Pics And Stories Here

Sooky

Arrgghhh!! SO CUTE! Thanks for posting pics! Her name is ace, I love it. Was it hard to find a Peke breeder? They're not a breed you see around a lot.

Scootie ate his first (piece of a) chicken frame today. He lurved it. He's 14 weeks this Friday and I've noticed he's not as psychotic anymore. He's still completely insane, but he hasn't had a full on tanty for about 5 days now, which is pretty amazing!

Hope everyone's puppies are doing well.

E xx

Hey Panzer Attack, try watching 3 7month old Pappy pups having Tanties :D then turning your house into a race track with mum & a whippet in toe :rofl:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panzer, I found a great Peke breeder here on Dogzonline. Edwina was advertised just recently and I pounced!! :)

She continues to be just a gem for us. We took her out with us in the car today and she just couldn't have been better. She is so quiet at night and is housetrained already so it has been pretty much a seamless transition. A slightly picky eater but we are working out her quirks in this regard.

We think she is ace. :)

post-3529-0-31693800-1304817378_thumb.jpg

Edited by quesada

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hi everyone, I have some more dumb questions :)

At the moment I have two, possibly three, problems with Scooter, and I was looking for some advice.

1) He's becoming increasingly handshy and I'm not sure where to go from here. He runs away whenever my hands go near him. Over the last couple of days he's decided in general he doesn't like coming any closer than a foot away. He loves strangers and only does this with people he knows. I've been hand feeding him part of a meal or treats every day since he got here and we play tug etc. I do pick him up to put him in his crate, but also pick him up for a cuddle, treats, to see what's going on in the kitchen etc.

2) he's not eating as much as he used to (for breakfast he ate 5 kibbles and I had to shut him in a no distraction room and it still took him over 5 minutes to start eating). He's been. Vet checked regularly and has a lot of energy. I don't want to keep swapping food so he becomes fussier and I already leave to bowl for 10 mins and then take away. He's eating the food his breeder was giving him and had no problems with it at her place.

3) he is really hard to train! Both with clicking and luring. Luke has confirmed this. He is very good at training himself though - his newest trick is unzipping his crate whenever he wants to get out lol. We train or tug in 5 minute bursts, max. He is 14 weeks old. And I'm talking about simple behaviors like sit and stand etc. He refuses to come when called and has always been distracted and independent.

Any advice would be great :( it's hard when he doesn't go for food or hand contact, and would rather eat a piece of dirt on the ground than look at me when I've been clicking for focus since 9 weeks...

At the moment I have two, possibly three, problems with Scooter, and I was looking for some advice.

1) He's becoming increasingly handshy and I'm not sure where to go from here. He runs away whenever my hands go near him. Over the last couple of days he's decided in general he doesn't like coming any closer than a foot away. He loves strangers and only does this with people he knows. I've been hand feeding him part of a meal or treats every day since he got here and we play tug etc. I do pick him up to put him in his crate, but also pick him up for a cuddle, treats, to see what's going on in the kitchen etc.

2) he's not eating as much as he used to (for breakfast he ate 5 kibbles and I had to shut him in a no distraction room and it still took him over 5 minutes to start eating). He's been. Vet checked regularly and has a lot of energy. I don't want to keep swapping food so he becomes fussier and I already leave to bowl for 10 mins and then take away. He's eating the food his breeder was giving him and had no problems with it at her place.

3) he is really hard to train! Both with clicking and luring. Luke has confirmed this. He is very good at training himself though - his newest trick is unzipping his crate whenever he wants to get out lol. We train or tug in 5 minute bursts, max. He is 14 weeks old. And I'm talking about simple behaviors like sit and stand etc. He refuses to come when called and has always been distracted and independent.

Any advice would be great :( it's hard when he doesn't go for food or hand contact, and would rather eat a piece of dirt on the ground than look at me when I've been clicking for focus since 9 weeks...

Pannza Attack silly questiion has some one miss handled Scooter?? I know it dosen't take much for a small breed to become hand shy if not I wouldnt worry to much we have gone through that phaise with our boys. :) try it with 3 babies :laugh:.

All we did was just sit on the floor with a tub of shredded bacon or ham, had a handfull out in front of us, ignored the boys & let them came to us when they do let them eat & spoke to them with soft encourageble voice. :D

I wouldn't use the clicker when Scooter is doing something he shouldn't be.

We placed Teddy in a new home the other week & he went through the phaise of not eating much but he has his appetite back & so do our other boys.

I gather you have one of those canvas type crates?? may I sujest in investing in a 24" metal crate or a airline type crate. :)

Guest english.ivy

Probably not much help but my Belgian Shepherd was a fuss pot when it came to food when she was a pup. I tried a few different foods and then found a dry she loved, we no longer feed that food but she has since grown out of her fussiness. I just had to be really tough, give her 15 minutes to eat her food [putting her in a quiet room with no distractions] and whatever she didn't eat, I'd bin. Then feed her again in a few hours. I wasted soooo much food. But my breeder told me to keep going and it turned out ok. Yeah she was skinny for awhile.

Can you sit on the ground with a treat Scooter really loves and let him come to you, let him realise that you're not going to hurt him? My Pointer can be like that sometimes, so I get to his level and he comes over to me, all happy and playful.

What are you feeding him? If you don't mind me asking.

Puppies can be very hard work, Ivy was, but in the end it's worth it :)

Guest Panzer Attack!
Pannza Attack silly questiion has some one miss handled Scooter?? I know it dosen't take much for a small breed to become hand shy if not I wouldnt worry to much we have gone through that phaise with our boys. :) try it with 3 babies :laugh:.

All we did was just sit on the floor with a tub of shredded bacon or ham, had a handfull out in front of us, ignored the boys & let them came to us when they do let them eat & spoke to them with soft encourageble voice. :D

I wouldn't use the clicker when Scooter is doing something he shouldn't be.

We placed Teddy in a new home the other week & he went through the phaise of not eating much but he has his appetite back & so do our other boys.

I gather you have one of those canvas type crates?? may I sujest in investing in a 24" metal crate or a airline type crate. :)

Hi murve! No one has mishandled him to my knowledge. He will come to me when he knows I have food or whatever, but not if he even slightly suspects he might be put away :cry: He's so smart! I'm going to start Crate Games with him today so I hopefully won't have to pick him up and put him in his pen too much anymore. He has a soft crate, yes, and I think the airline crate might be the go. I've worked in salons with wire crates before and dogs tend to get toes stuck if they're excited, and I don't want that! Thank you for the advice :) I think I need to refine my clicking 'skills' (loose term ;)) a tad, as I'm quite sure I'm not precise enough.

Probably not much help but my Belgian Shepherd was a fuss pot when it came to food when she was a pup. I tried a few different foods and then found a dry she loved, we no longer feed that food but she has since grown out of her fussiness. I just had to be really tough, give her 15 minutes to eat her food [putting her in a quiet room with no distractions] and whatever she didn't eat, I'd bin. Then feed her again in a few hours. I wasted soooo much food. But my breeder told me to keep going and it turned out ok. Yeah she was skinny for awhile.

Can you sit on the ground with a treat Scooter really loves and let him come to you, let him realise that you're not going to hurt him? My Pointer can be like that sometimes, so I get to his level and he comes over to me, all happy and playful.

What are you feeding him? If you don't mind me asking.

Puppies can be very hard work, Ivy was, but in the end it's worth it :)

This is definitely helpful, don't be silly! Thank you for taking the time to reply! He was eating Advance Puppy until yesterday afternoon when I made the executive decision to take him off it as he'd rather not eat if it's all that is available. He really likes Royal Canin mini, eats EPH puppy and is nuts about the Natures Gift dry (which really isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's definitely on par with Eukanuba etc). I think he's choosing those foods because the kibble is softer. The Advance is very hard, but he won't even eat it if it's rehydrated (and it starts to stink after half an hour so I have to keep binning it).

I truly believe that he knows I am not going to hurt him. He just really REALLY LOVES playing keep away. He will come and sit on my foot if he is unsure of anything, and will paw at me if he wants to get up on the couch (too small to try and make it up himself), will sit in my lap etc. But if he thinks he's going to be picked up to go away he will run. He is more than happy to sit and wait to be picked up OUT of his crate, after a time-out or if he wants to go up or down the stairs into the yard. So I think I need to figure out how I'm queueing him to predict his fun is ending...

Thanks for the replies, it's definitely got me thinking. x

Naomi - I finally started watching Crate Games, it's so good!!!! I LOVE it! How's your Archie issue panning out?

:( Sorry PA if I sounded a bit off key asking about misshandling, please accept my appologies :o

anyway on a better note, my boys do the same when they know its bed time they take off out the back door with mum & refuse to come in, we started playing the ignorance game with them :D , giving all the attention to Orlando & giving him the treats :)

They all soon come in to get their share :laugh:

This is from my experience with Emmy:

1. When you go to pat him, do you go over his head or do you place your hand under his chin? I'm asking because Emmy is like that, and we've discovered that if we put our hand palms up and reach for the side of the face, that she is more willing to come to us. She LOVES her chin scratch but doesn't like getting patted on the head or the ears (only let me scratch behind her ears when she ask for it). I think cause he is so little, he can't see what's going above him so that can make him a little nervous. Also when you are calling him and reaching for him, what's your body language like? Are you bending over him? I found that if I squat, and call her over.. she is more likely to come.

2. Do you do the 15 minutes rule? (put bowl down for 15 minutes and take it away). When do you feed him? Cause he is still young and need to have 3 meals a day, maybe feed him in a kong? Could he be teething? Both Charlie and Emmy were off their food for a bit when they were going through it. What I use to do was put 1 chicken neck in a small take away container, put water in it (just so it covers the neck) and freeze it. Then I would give it to them.. they love the cold when they are teething. When you want them to get out of your hand, holding your hand flat out and the treat on it and also hold your hand out.. you can gradually pull your hand back.

3. If luring isn't working, have you considered trying guiding method? You gently put him into the position you want him too.. eg, sit.. with your dominant hand, place 2 fingers under the collar on top of his neck and with your other hand put it on his hip and in a rocking motion, guide him into a sit. Once he is sitting calming, you release him and reward him like crazy. When adding in the command, you say 'Sit' either before or during the time you guide him into position.

Also how much of attention span does he have? Emmy had NIL. Our training sessions were 10 x 1 mins a day.

Edited by CW EW

I think u hit the nail on the head with the playing keepings off... he is playing games with u... dont EVER ask him to recal on cue if there isnt a guarantee he will come to u... if need be put him on lead on toilet breaks outside and what not, and practice recalls with big treats, praise and pats... NEVER enter into tiggy games.. if he is in trouble dont let it become a game - he doesnt like being put away so crate game sis a good idea also feed him in his crate.. and if he likes a different brand of food them swap him over? if he goes off that food then he needs to learn to suck it up and u need to play hard ball

hope all goes well :):) love him!! he is sooo cute~~

love the pics!! dallas has 2 besties... one is a leonberger called luna and the other momo the greyhound.. she runs after them in ure admiration adn they run away as fast as they can bahaha poor kids i keep telling them soon enough she will be their best mate for now she is the annoying child that jumps in their faces and climbs in their beds with them lol

love the pics!! dallas has 2 besties... one is a leonberger called luna and the other momo the greyhound.. she runs after them in ure admiration adn they run away as fast as they can bahaha poor kids i keep telling them soon enough she will be their best mate for now she is the annoying child that jumps in their faces and climbs in their beds with them lol

Halo and Akira are like that. Akira goes and hides because she gets sick of Halo. :laugh:

Ziva has mastered her dog door, tunnel and ramp and when left alone yesterday for 5 hrs while I went into the office, she didn't eliminate on her newspaper and went outside :thumbsup:

Of course - we had friends from NYC over last night for dinner - they have 2 dogs back home and she could smell them on their clothes - got a little too excited and forgot to go outside to poop :laugh: luckily our floor is tiled :)

• 3 weeks later...

Introducing Rumour, our little Border Collie girl. She now 13 weeks and growing fast.

She is also close to responding to nutcase, little miss trouble, miss mischief, cheeky, mischief maker, among other names.

She is been learning lots, been going really well with toilet training and is in love with her crate.

Diesel, our older boy is absolutely in love with her, always keeps an eye on her. Although he loves to dob her in when she's doing something she shouldn't which seems to be quite often.

We were recently told she sounds like she swallowed a staffy, the noises she makes are very interesting to say the least :laugh: .

The mandatory photos:

P6040521.jpg

P6040526.jpg

P6040527.jpg

picture overload,new proud mum here lol

9 weeks old this tuesday,cane corso male.

Not great pics,looking for a new camera.Fisrt ones a bit blurry but i thought it was funny :laugh:

post-39703-0-10298000-1307279067_thumb.jpg

post-39703-0-99251900-1307279102_thumb.jpg

post-39703-0-07011700-1307279138_thumb.jpg

Edited by lucious

Hi Everyone..

My wait is finally over!! :thumbsup:

Miss Brandy came home today...

She is Perfect in everyway! and we have even had some success in toileting~! So I am pleased!

She is currently sleeping at my feet, and seems most content... I am amazed at how quickly she settled in! She is already my shadow, and wants to just be near me!

So sweet, my Whippet Princess certainly has me twisted around her little paw already!

post-40337-0-04219500-1307279847_thumb.jpg

post-40337-0-02210000-1307279852_thumb.jpg

post-40337-0-45747100-1307279856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mand2410