Scaredness In The Ring

janeses

I had a great show puppy bitch that was outgoing from birth then she has had a very long season and showing signs of being scared in the ring etc... And if dogs are behind her she hates it... I know she is only young but is there anything that anyone can suggest to give her, i know it's probably just her hormones but would like see if i can help her along the way :-)

I've just been dealing with this with our 9 mth old - she was in that fear period anyway and had a couple of major scares in the ring when she was coming into season (being run up on & run into) and it has taken me a couple of months to get her to be happy again in the ring. I just kept ensuring she was happy happy happy :thumbsup: and with the much appreciated help of another exhibitor at the Noorat shows who gave me as much space as she needed in the class she came a long way that weekend. I have her entered this weekend but she won't be going as she has a add shoot booked next week with her sire and I am not risking her having any bad scares thus ruining all my hard work and her regained confidence.

Just advise your fellow competitors prior to going into the ring of the issue and ask that they give you extra space for her - some (not all though) are more than happy to help by staying back. It just takes time & effort.

I had a great show puppy bitch that was outgoing from birth then she has had a very long season and showing signs of being scared in the ring etc... And if dogs are behind her she hates it... I know she is only young but is there anything that anyone can suggest to give her, i know it's probably just her hormones but would like see if i can help her along the way :-)

Spell her until her general social confidence improve. Lots you can do outside of a show ring to work on that.

Thanks everyone, i have been trying to make her happy again but shes not really liking that atm... Someone told me to try vitamin B complex... not sure if this works??? Someone also said to try obedience classes with her...

I would try the 'white e' i think it is called something like that...it is a powder bought from greyhound supplies. If you think the timidness is due to hormones then the white e will balance it out. It comes in a white plastic jar/bottle with a red label. They only have a small amount. I think our GSD was on 1/4 teas once a day so it lasts forever. I also would not be putting her in shows but taking her out to lots of them just to sit beside you and realise that its not such a scarey place.....once she is comfortable, I would get people she knows to go over her during lunch breaks....

go to this site to read more

good luck

Edited by experiencedfun

I would try the 'white e' i think it is called something like that...it is a powder bought from greyhound supplies. If you think the timidness is due to hormones then the white e will balance it out. It comes in a white plastic jar/bottle with a red label. They only have a small amount. I think our GSD was on 1/4 teas once a day so it lasts forever. I also would not be putting her in shows but taking her out to lots of them just to sit beside you and realise that its not such a scarey place.....once she is comfortable, I would get people she knows to go over her during lunch breaks....

go to this site to read more

good luck

experiencefun - the strange thing is she is fine with other people judges etc... even has let other people who she has never met handle her for bob if both of mine get the challenge.. So think it really is a hormone thing...

There was no link attached could you please send me the link

Some pups go through a second fear period somewhere between 8 and 16 months. If it's that, I'd spell her until her she comes out the other side of that.

It would depend on breed when we had afghans we found that you never left them at home at age as that is when you could lose them totally.

I would try her on Executive B stress available at supermarkets or health food shops have had success with this.

Thanks tarakay, will have a look... how quickly have you found it to work?

Leave her on it for a couple of weeks just to see if there is any difference in her attitude also if there is any show training in your area this will help with having dogs behind.

Some pups go through a second fear period somewhere between 8 and 16 months. If it's that, I'd spell her until her she comes out the other side of that.

It would depend on breed when we had afghans we found that you never left them at home at age as that is when you could lose them totally.

Oh yes, it depends on the breed and the dog. Some dogs don't have that second fear period at all, or don't seem to.

By spell her I don't necessarily mean leave her at home, but I wouldn't keep her in the ring scared, she just gets more opportunities to rehearse scared behaviours and embed the ring as a bad place in her mind.

If she were mine I'd take her to places, let her be at shows but not shown for a few weekends, run her around empty rings with dogs she knows and trusts behind her so she has less reason to worry, then try unknown but non-threatening dogs, reinforce calmness etc. :thumbsup: But they aren't instant fixes.

Hormones and the fear period can do funny things to a dogs mind. Agree with the suggestion to take her out of the ring for a while. Pushing at this stage can often cement the fear. Instead take her out and just let her have fun. She can go to shows even if she is happy with that, just not in the ring for a while. Once the hormones settle she can go back in and generally if not allowed to develop the fear in the ring by pushing them to be there, it will be like it never happened.

Important too is how you react to her fear. Don't comfort her or cajole her as if you act differently they can think that there really must be something to be worried about. Be very matter of fact, casual and relaxed - a sort of 'come on, get over it nothing to be worried about' attitude. Usually they eventually see that you are not concerned about it so they are not either.

If you take her to a show, use an empty ring to have a game in. No pressure, just fun. Make it a fun place to be.

Edited by espinay2

I agree. I spelled out a whippet for 6 months and he never came back. A gorgeous looking dog ended up in a pet home :)

Do you have a really good sensible older dog at home?

I find that mine always look to an older dog if they arent sure. I have one puppy that was scatty when she arrived and I took her toall different places and often with the other dog and she is 100% bombproof now.