My Dog Took Sick Yesterday With A Mystery Illness

jase293

Just a heads up on the Parvo diagnosis 2 days after being vaccinated... the vaccine could cause a false positive for Parvo as it raises the antibodies in the dog's system to fight the very mild actual dose given in the vaccine.

$600 sounds like the vet had your boy on a drip for a couple of days - am I correct? If so, he probably had a case of vaccinosis rather than Parvo.

Glad to hear he's doing just great now... and will have a long and happy life with someone who obviously cares for him very much.

T.

hi yes he was on the drip for 2 days, it was strange because he was healthy as , and seemed to go down hill once he was needled,

i wonder why the people who had him before went and had him microchipped , and never bothered to needle him ,? maybe he was done before they had him, oh the vet said now my backyard will have the parvo virus in the ground , for about a year, so any dogs not needled will get parvo ?

cbl , the italian greyhound is i am told around a year old, i asked if he was housetrained but they said he sleeps outside, iv heard that they are a house dog ? i was thinking he could sleep in the dog house during warm weather then move him into the laundry during winter ?

They are a house dog - iggies don't generally do well as outside dog, especially during winter - they have very little body fat :( Mine goes outside when we go out but he sleeps indoors and even inside he often needs a coat in winter.

They are a dog that needs to be with you (as a lot of breeds are) - check out the Iggy Rescue page (in my link) for some great info about them. They are an awesome dog, I love mine to bits, but are not for everyone, they are quite clingy and love being with you constantly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen dogs with Parvo, and I've seen dogs with vaccinosis after their needles... 2 days on a drip for Parvo is a very quick turnaround time IMHO...

Do you have any other vets near you that you could take your boy to and get a second opinion? The fact that the original vet jumped very quickly to the pts/euth option when all your boy needed was a couple of days on fluids to help him get better is a bit of a concern.

T.

I've seen dogs with Parvo, and I've seen dogs with vaccinosis after their needles... 2 days on a drip for Parvo is a very quick turnaround time IMHO...

Do you have any other vets near you that you could take your boy to and get a second opinion? The fact that the original vet jumped very quickly to the pts/euth option when all your boy needed was a couple of days on fluids to help him get better is a bit of a concern.

T.

yes I should have also added, I would be working out what is going on with your boy before bringing another dog into the house.

Italian Greyhounds have little body fat and are lap dogs, not only can they not cope with the weather extremes (cold or hot), they really need to be near their owners. Therefore they are house dogs, not for being kept outside.

I run Iggy Rescue. If you are going ahead with taking on the Iggy, I can give you as much support on housetraining etc that you need. If it doesn't work out (ie not the right dog for you), we would be prepared to help you with finding the dog a new home.