Susan Garrett Recallers Course

I'm doing the course with my 16 week old Dane puppy and I'm stoked with how things are going especially in the last few days since really working on the RZ.

Anyone else doing it? How are you going?

Yep it's online, this course has closed now but I'm sure they'll be another one as it's a pretty popular course. There are different prices for different levels of interaction/support, I went for the cheapy which from memory was under $200US.

I'm doing it and a few others from my dog club are. And quite a few that when to the Susan Garrett seminar last November are as well. There is so much stuff.

Selling point is 5 minutes training a day - but I think I'm doing hours and hours of study to go with it. Sigh.

Hi MEH

1 - Coz it was free 2nd time around if you submitted a video to SG's facebook page.

2 - The 1st time through saw a HUGE increase in focus on me, and improved recalls through playing the games.. it really was 5 minutes a day.. so easy, so little time for such a huge change. I'm not expecting such a huge change this time, but more fine tuning. We are still a work in progress, bunnies are still a level 10 distraction that I cant call Toby away from, but at least everything else on the distraction list has dropped a couple of levels. And the course gives you the tools to make a plan to deal with those distractions.. its finding a controlled bunny I'm having problems with :-)

3 - Yes, you could play the games on your own every day, but its nice having a group of like minded people all playing the same game that same day, makes you feel part of a great group, and you get to hear so many different answers to the 1 problem

4 - You get to "meet" other dog people, not just in Aus, but around the world, some are on other groups or email lists that I'm on and the names are familiar - hopefully I can find someone in Melbourne who wants to meet up and play some games.

I'm also with MRB.. the amount of info on the site is amazing.. hours and hours of study!!

Does anyone know when the next course will be run?

My two both have good recalls (my boy's in particular is excellent) but I think it is one of those things that you can always improve so I'd love to do this course.

I am doing the course. It seems to take me more than 5 minutes a day and sometimes I don't have 5 minutes with one thing and another but wow is my whippet loving it. She is now demanding we go do some training. She doesn't want to eat her kibble from the dinner dish but wants me to play the games and use it as the rewards. It is amazing.

She has a pretty good recall. Comes away from playing with other dogs and even flapping chickens. The reason I decided to give the course a go was the feedback from people about the relationship it built with the dog. So far I am very pleased with the results. It is all fun for us both.

For those who have done the course - does a dog need to know it's own name before starting? I ask because we have a 13 wk old JS puppy and recall is non-existent! But she doesn't answer to her name - even though we're doing name training at meal times.

This sounds really great I would love to do this course, obviously it can be done from here (Australia) and I suppose it doesn't matter which State we are in ?

When does the next course start does anyone know? It's just that after June/July this year I may be on the road and not always in areas with internet coverage.....I am very interested that there are other Whippets doing the course, feedback - how's it going with the Whippets? I have 1 great recall dog and 1 who is very distracted by the sort of stuff the long grassers leave in their camp spots! This is what I really need to have Clancy leave alone.

Annie

This sounds really great I would love to do this course, obviously it can be done from here (Australia) and I suppose it doesn't matter which State we are in ?

When does the next course start does anyone know? It's just that after June/July this year I may be on the road and not always in areas with internet coverage.....I am very interested that there are other Whippets doing the course, feedback - how's it going with the Whippets? I have 1 great recall dog and 1 who is very distracted by the sort of stuff the long grassers leave in their camp spots! This is what I really need to have Clancy leave alone.

Annie

She says probably not until 2012.

You might wish to get the Really Reliable Recall dvd from Clean Run in the interim to help with your issue.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Thanks for that Staff'n'toller, how are you. we met at a coffee morning once I think, at Nightcliff Markets....

Oh drat, I shall most likely be on the road by 2012, but anything could happen by then I guess! We could be anywhere.... as it happens it turns out that a friend I do some training with on Sunday mornings is doing the currant course and has indicated she will assist me get started, so this morning I played with Clancy first and got him all razzed up to do stuff then 3 or 4 recalls and he flew in!

After the training session had ended I gave the 2 of them a play period and Clancy played happily, at 2 points he looked as though he would wander over to see what people might have left behind, I called and whoosh straight back, so todays lesson had stayed with him.

I am looking forward to doing the next course, I am so going to do it even if it means I have to stay put in one place (even without work, if necessary) just as long as I have internet !

Annie

Yes I am doing this course with my rescued dog Sami. Am loving the guidance of the 5 min games. Going well in some games, and not so well in others. Most important part is that we are having fun. Any Perth people doing this course???

• 3 weeks later...